HELP

Old April 28th 06, 11:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default HELP

Hi

We have just brought a kitten, but our other cat who is just over 1 year
old, keeps hissing and growning at it, and growls at me and my partner when
we are holding the kitten as well, our 1 year old cat is a house cat and has
never been outside, and is also petrified of her own shadow, she is very shy
and only trusts me and my partner, is there anything i can do to get them to
get along.

many thanks

Old April 28th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Hello,

Cats can be somewhat territorial. In addition, there is some rivalry
going on too. I would make sure that you show each cat love and
attention. Also, getting your older kitty used to the kitten's smell
will be good -- try playing with the kitten, and then immediately
playing with the older -- the older will smell the kitten's smell on
you and that may help it to get used to the kitten. This all will pass
in time, because the kitten will eventually grow larger and will be
able to command respect. Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Stan Beck
http://kitten-pictures.blogspot.com - For unbelievably cute Kitten
Pictures

Old April 29th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

It's usually best to seclude a new animal when you first bring it home.
Is there a room you can keep the kitten for awhile? They will probably
sniff each other under the door.

You can also put a towel or blanket in the kitten's room and then bring
it out to let your other cat sniff the new kitten's scent.

If your other cat is used to sleeping with you in the bedroom, don't
seclude the kitten there. Your other cat will more jealous and feel left
out.

Give your first cat much more attention than normal. It's going to take
some time for her to get used to the idea of another cat in her house
and she will need lots of reassurance.

Good luck,

Rhonda