declawed and non-declawed?

Old July 9th 03, 11:43 PM
piggypot

Default declawed and non-declawed?

I have a friend who is about to adopt a kitten I've been fostering,
but I've made one of my conditions that she agree NOT to get the
kitten declawed. Her current cat is declawed (not by her) and she's
worried about there being a defensive disparity between the two.

I have one cat who is declawed and two who are not and have no
problems. However, I wanted to hear from others with "mixed-claw"
households to get other opinions.

Does it matter or not?
Old July 10th 03, 12:45 AM
Joe Pitt

I also have a mixed house. One of mine came to me declawed. Also, I do cat
rescue and have had declawed recues from time to time. No problems. Most of
time cats hiss and growl, they don't actually fight once they are altered.
The only time I have had claws come out was a rescued Bengal who came to me
pregnant. After the kittens were born one of my guys slipped into the room
they were in and she drove him away with fur flying.

--
Joe
http://www.jwpitt.com/cats.htm

--
Joe
http://www.jwpitt.com/cats.htm
om...

Old July 10th 03, 01:57 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"piggypot" wrote in message
om...

I have one cat who is declawed and two who are not and have no
problems. However, I wanted to hear from others with "mixed-claw"
households to get other opinions.

At work we have one declawed cat and one who has her claws. Harriet, the
declawed cat, was adopted that way at the age of 1 1/2 years. Stinky
(clawed) was adopted at the same time at the age of 3 months. Stinky
terrified Harriet in the beginning and Harriet would avoid her or hide.
After awhile, I guess when Harriet felt completely at home, she would
retaliate whenever Stinky tried to start something. Now all Harriet has to
do is glare at Stinky and she backs away. Stinky jumps on Harriet in a
playful way only, but Harriet hates it and she will try to take a mouthful
of Stinky with her if she gets the chance. In my case, it's the clawed cat
we have to worry about!

Liz

Old July 10th 03, 02:32 AM
Kalyahna

"piggypot" wrote in message
om...
I have a friend who is about to adopt a kitten I've been fostering,
but I've made one of my conditions that she agree NOT to get the
kitten declawed. Her current cat is declawed (not by her) and she's
worried about there being a defensive disparity between the two.

I have one cat who is declawed and two who are not and have no
problems. However, I wanted to hear from others with "mixed-claw"
households to get other opinions.

Does it matter or not?

I've had no problems with declawed cats among my clawed. It will likely go
better for your friend if she seeks some advice on how to properly introduce
a new kitten into her current household. The less stress for both felines,
the less likelihood that there will be any fighting.

Old July 10th 03, 07:34 AM
SongSylvan

Chase (declawed) and Paintball (clawed) don't seem to have any problems. I've
never seen her try to use her claws on him, and he's bigger than she is.

Magdalene
IWG #1024/Drill Sgt. of Local 35/Soiled Doves of Colorado
IFoRP # 57/First Mate of "The Flying Scotsman"
KC MasterPiece of the KCRF BBQ Wenches
One of Moonie's Naughty Kittens
Red Gemini Ghetto Smurf
To email me, remove my bodice