Vaccinations The great Debate

Old August 23rd 03, 02:42 PM
Sherry

Hi Sooz, you got some great replies to this thread but I wanted to add
something. My Yo had a bad reaction to vaccinations three years ago. Since
then, with the others, here's the method I've adopted,
1) Don't let the vet give them all the vaccinations at once. I space them out
three weeks apart.
2) I always take them early in the morning. That way, if there's a problem, the
vet is still going to be open in the afternoon. We don't have a dependable
after-hours system here. It's very frustrating.

Sherry
Old August 23rd 03, 03:50 PM
~*SooZy*~

"Sherry " wrote in message
Hi Sooz, you got some great replies to this thread but I wanted to add
something. My Yo had a bad reaction to vaccinations three years ago. Since
then, with the others, here's the method I've adopted,
1) Don't let the vet give them all the vaccinations at once. I space them

out
three weeks apart.

ok I can see that is a good idea suggested by a few other people too :-)
she gave me a note which said the injections need to be given 3 weeks from
the date of the first vaccination (only one day can be allowed either side)
do you think I would still be able to split them into weekly appointments?
which should I go for first etc?

2) I always take them early in the morning. That way, if there's a

problem, the
vet is still going to be open in the afternoon. We don't have a dependable
after-hours system here. It's very frustrating.

yes I thought that too Sherry, although I am very tempted to ask if he can
stay there the day, Moshi is the type of cat who loves everyone, being he
come from a Ragdoll and Birman breeder he is was used to a cage, ok he
hasn't used one since I had him, but he does sleep happierly in his carrier.
Both cats use them as beds when they want to ;-)

Sherry

Old August 23rd 03, 09:37 PM
Alison

Hi Lauren ,
Thanks . I'll check it out . I need to do a lot more reading and
research before I make up my mind .

--
Alison

"
http://www.api4animals.org/doc.asp?ID=560

Lauren

________

Old August 23rd 03, 09:39 PM
Alison

"~*SooZy*~" wrote in message

well in UK they say every year! but this is debatable! I feel cats

are over
inoculated however....
being this was his first injections, he needs to have another lot in

3
weeks. I am going to arrange to have this split up and ask if he can

stay at
the vets for the day, as my partner and Cheryl suggested, if he has

them
first thing in the morning and I pick him up at 6.30 when the vets

closes,
(if all goes well) I will feel much happier! knowing he is in the

safest
place!

That's a good idea. I still think its important to have kittens
properly innoculated to give then a good start.
Alison

Old August 23rd 03, 09:50 PM
Alison

Thanks Helen ,
I didn't realise the differences between the US and UK . I'll have
to rethink .I live in an area with a high cat density and I bet many
don't bother to vaccinate so they could be a risk to Kim . I've never
had any side affects with my previous cats or dogs , just Kim .
I've been trying to find the right wet diet for Kim . She is on
tinned whiskas and sheba . I don't want to give her raw BARF diet but
not sure what supplements should be added to cooked or steamed mince.
There are diets for dogs like Natures menu but I've not seen one for
cats .
Alison

"Helen" wrote in message

For killed viruses, as commonly used in the US. Live or modified
viruses, as
commonly used in the UK, still need to be given yearly because the
manufacturers will not guarantee effectiveness beyond that. I say

"need"
because, as you mention, catteries etc. go by the manufacturers's
guidelines. I guess if you don't use a cattery, there's no problem;

but many
of us in UK do use catteries.

My vet had a client who had two dogs, siblings. Before agreeing to

boosters,
about 14-15 months after the previous injections, he asked for

titres. One
dog had titres through the roof; the other's were through the floor.

It's so
hard to know what to do for the best. I do get my cats vaccinated,

unless
they are sick; it says on the packaging that vaccines are not to be

given to
sick animals. Thomas never had shots once he had CRF.

Here's an interesting article from The Cat Group:
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~thecatgroup/vacc.html

HTH

Helen

Old August 23rd 03, 10:02 PM
~*SooZy*~

"Helen" wrote in message
"*~*SooZy*~*" wrote in message

The breeder I got my kitten from had used Nosode on the kittens,

yesterday
Moshi had his 1st injection at 18 weeks he is an indoor only kitten,

weighs
5.12. we left it longer under my vets advice as he had been unwell 3

times,
twice before we got him, mouth ulcers, lost the fur and whiskers from

his
face, had antibiotics, cleared up came back more antibiotics, cleared

up,
then we got him and some of you may of remember he got a shock we think!
with a very high temp of 105 and she wanted to make sure he was well

before
given him his jabs.

I hope the vet got to the bottom of all this, it sounds worrying.

Well in the UK most vets use live vaccines, but after a lot of research

decided I wanted killed virus's, I believe if you don't ask for killed

they
automatically give live/modified.

Why did you opt for killed? It's my understanding that it's the killed
viruses which are associated with VAS, because of the adjuvants necessary

make the killed vaccine "take". VAS is extremely rare in UK, which is
probably because of the common use of live/modified. Personally, I'd

choose
"standard" UK viruses over US ones anyday - I've never worried for one
second about VAS, but I've read enough horror stories about VAS in US to

be
concerned about it if I lived there.

Because it was reccomended that killed vaccines be given to Ragdolls......
less likely to have complications afterwards :-(

He had them all inc feline Leukaemia... not Rabies as UK
he was in good health, we got him home and he became really poorly, I

rang
the vets spoke to the receptionist (who did get the vet herself to call

me
back.) She explained that this sometimes happens in cats... but as long

as
he wasn't being sick, diarrhoea, then if so bring him in for an anti
inflammatory jab, which he had before after shock.

he was very lethargic, high temperature, got as high as 104 at one

point,
where ever you put him he didn't move :-( I was worried sick! gave him
drips of water from syringe ever 30 mins and some kittyvite which I

rubbed
onto his gums. I checked the net and found this a common reaction.....
during the night he started eating, playing and now he is in top form

again.
Thank god! I feel like I have been put through the mincer.

I wanted people to know how vaccines can effect their cats... he has to

go
back in 3 weeks for the second lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have read some
people space the injections out over a few days? any ideas? suggestions

VERY
welcome... thanks in advanced

My cat became sick after being given FVRCP and leukaemia together four

years
ago. Thereafter she still received the shots, but we spaced them two weeks
apart, and she's had no problems ever since.

OK thanks very much for your information :-) I am defantely going to space
the rest of the course out

Hope your boy feels better soon.

he was fine by th following day thanks

Helen