Indoor cats and declawing

Old June 20th 05, 01:30 PM

Default Indoor cats and declawing

With the risk of starting a war, I had not heard of declawing until
I came on this site, we do not do this, as far as I know, in the UK.
Also, we rarely keep our cats inside. It sounds barbaric to me, to pull
the claws out of a cat, it would be like having your
fingernails pulled out!

Old June 20th 05, 01:51 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message
ups.com...
With the risk of starting a war, I had not heard of declawing until
I came on this site, we do not do this, as far as I know, in the UK.
Also, we rarely keep our cats inside. It sounds barbaric to me, to pull
the claws out of a cat, it would be like having your
fingernails pulled out!

Having your fingernails pulled out tickles compared to declawing. A cat's
claw is not a nail as is a human fingernail, its part of the last bone
(distal phalanx) in the cat's toe. Declawing involves 10, separate
amputations of entire distal phalanx is the at the joint.

http://www.maxshouse.com/facts_about_declawing.htm

Old June 20th 05, 02:05 PM

Then it is disgusting that this is allowed. Why are the vets allowed
to do this?

Old June 20th 05, 02:57 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Then it is disgusting that this is allowed. Why are the vets allowed
to do this?

Because pretentious politicians with their ostentatious furniture and
carpeting support declawing, and the vets that declaw support them.

Old June 20th 05, 03:15 PM

I too had never heard of it in the UK. Although the scratched
furniture is a pain, if you get a cat you should expect it and of
course there are things you can do to minimise it. Mine goes out in
the garden for a sunbathe and a little wander, doesn't climb over the
fences (he was an indoor cat til he was 14 and I moved to a house) -
then comes back in for a scratch and a pee! I think it's obscene some
of the things people do to animals for their own amusement/convenience.