Mary S. Provided False Information About Conan

Old June 27th 05, 08:40 PM
Jess A via CatKB.com

Default Mary S. Provided False Information About Conan

I recently started reading this board, and have been following Conan's story!
After reading some of the messages, I became extremely concerned about the
fact that people could justify placing Conan with Charlie Wilkes. He would
not provide a suitable home for Conan. Anyone who gets his cat high should
not have a cat. From what I have seen over and over, he has shown that he
neglects, and in my opinion abuses, animals. I cannot believe that anybody
would even think about placing Conan there. It makes me ill to think about
the situation.

Anyways, what Mary said about the adoption and its process was completely
false. I was on the phone with Katherine at the Orange County Shelter today,
and nothing Mary has said is true. Conan is not presently at risk for being
euthanized. Yes, he will be "re-evaluated" on Wednesday, but Katherine said
that as long as he is in good health and is an adoptable cat, which we know
he is, he will be kept longer. I don't think that leaving him in the shelter
for a few more days so we could find a more suitable home would pose any sort
of a problem.

Mary claimed to have "arranged" for Conan to be picked up. Katherine said
numerous times that the Orange County Shelter is a publicly-run government-
funded organization, therefore, no one can arrange for an out-of-state
adoption. Animals are adopted on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you
have the money, you can have the cat. Katherine said she did not receive any
applications from Charlie Wilkes, because they have no applications process
and they do not do ANY sort of screening. It is not possible that anyone
could have applied to adopt Conan, because they don't take applications.
Despite, what Mary says, Katherine denied that any sort of out-of-state
adoption had been approved, or ever would be.

You don't have to believe me, call the shelter and ask yourself.

Conan has some time, and I think it is a mistake for people to rush into this
adoption. Take a little time, have some standards, and find Conan a good
home. At this point, nobody should settle for someone like Charlie. Instead
the focus should be put on finding a really wonderful home for Conan with
someone that can give him all of the wonderful things he deserves.

--
A concerned cat lover
Old June 27th 05, 08:43 PM
Mary

"Jess A via CatKB.com" wrote in message
[...]

None of this is true. I will phone Katherine now.

Old June 27th 05, 09:04 PM
Mary

"Jess A via CatKB.com" wrote in message
I recently started reading this board, and have been following Conan's

story!
After reading some of the messages, I became extremely concerned about the
fact that people could justify placing Conan with Charlie Wilkes. He

would
not provide a suitable home for Conan. Anyone who gets his cat high

should
not have a cat. From what I have seen over and over, he has shown that he
neglects, and in my opinion abuses, animals. I cannot believe that

anybody
would even think about placing Conan there. It makes me ill to think

about
the situation.

So what you did was call Katherine and frighten her about Charlie Wilkes.

Anyways, what Mary said about the adoption and its process was completely
false. I was on the phone with Katherine at the Orange County Shelter

today,
and nothing Mary has said is true. Conan is not presently at risk for

being
euthanized. Yes, he will be "re-evaluated" on Wednesday, but Katherine

said
that as long as he is in good health and is an adoptable cat, which we

know
he is, he will be kept longer.

As we have already discussed, Katherine has never admitted that they are
a "kill" shelter. However, staff person Jessica said that they were.
Katherine
called me one week ago to tell me that Conan was up for "re-evaluation"
on June 29. Now then, genius, what might this re-evaluation be for, if
not for euthanization?

I don't think that leaving him in the shelter
for a few more days so we could find a more suitable home would pose any

sort
of a problem.

You do not know this for sure, so what you think is just not enough.

Mary claimed to have "arranged" for Conan to be picked up.

I did indeed. I spoke with Katherine yesterday, and she agreed that
Dan could come pick him up today.

Katherine said
numerous times that the Orange County Shelter is a publicly-run

government-
funded organization, therefore, no one can arrange for an out-of-state
adoption.

What she said is that they, there at the shelter, cannot arrange an
out-of-town adoption. They don't have the funds for it.

Animals are adopted on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you
have the money, you can have the cat. Katherine said she did not receive

any
applications from Charlie Wilkes, because they have no applications

process
and they do not do ANY sort of screening.

Nobody said Charlie sent an application.

It is not possible that anyone
could have applied to adopt Conan, because they don't take applications.
Despite, what Mary says, Katherine denied that any sort of out-of-state
adoption had been approved, or ever would be.

She approved it yesterday.

You don't have to believe me, call the shelter and ask yourself.

I've left a message with Katherine to call me back and have spoken
this minute with Marcos, who has promised to give her my message.

Conan has some time, and I think it is a mistake for people to rush into

this
adoption. Take a little time, have some standards, and find Conan a good
home. At this point, nobody should settle for someone like Charlie.

Instead
the focus should be put on finding a really wonderful home for Conan with
someone that can give him all of the wonderful things he deserves.

I misrepresented nothing at all. What I suspect you did was frighten
Katherine in an attempt to de-rail the adoption process. We'll see if
you were successful or not.

Old June 27th 05, 09:08 PM
Philip

Mary wrote:
[...]

Oh here we go YET AGAIN. I really feel sorry for Katherine. The poor woman
(who I happen to know now) has more important things to do than deal with
any more than one of you PsychoMoms. Pester Hector. LOL

Old June 27th 05, 09:27 PM
Matthew

I pity the shelter employees. Perhaps y'all could let them do their
jobs? Donate money directly to the shelter if you want to help. I
don't understand paying the adoption fee for someone who goes in
prepared to pay the fee.

Matthew

Old June 27th 05, 09:31 PM
Philip

Mary wrote:
"Jess A via CatKB.com" wrote in message

snip
As we have already discussed, Katherine has never admitted that they
are a "kill" shelter. However, staff person Jessica said that they were.
Katherine
called me one week ago to tell me that Conan was up for "re-evaluation"
on June 29. Now then, genius, what might this re-evaluation be for, if
not for euthanization?

AHHHH ... so it is you who leapt to a conclusion. OC shelter does dispose
of animals according to a formula which I details much earlier.

snip
Conan has some time, and I think it is a mistake for people to rush
into this adoption. Take a little time, have some standards, and
find Conan a good home. At this point, nobody should settle for
someone like Charlie. Instead the focus should be put on finding a
really wonderful home for Conan with someone that can give him all of
the wonderful things he deserves.

I misrepresented nothing at all. What I suspect you did was frighten
Katherine in an attempt to de-rail the adoption process. We'll see if
you were successful or not.

In the future Mary, I bet you act swifty and ... alone ... in such rescue
efforts from shelters. Involve few people as possible, get the job done
quickly, decisively, and without publicity. Covert recues.

Old June 27th 05, 09:33 PM
Mary

"Matthew" wrote in message
I pity the shelter employees. Perhaps y'all could let them do their
jobs? Donate money directly to the shelter if you want to help. I
don't understand paying the adoption fee for someone who goes in
prepared to pay the fee.

Yes, I agree. I guess I was hoping the fact that the fee was paid
might get the shelter staff to nudge people in his direction. In any
case, I am still willing (through Dan, who has the money) to
reimburse anyone who adopts Conan.

Don't pity the shelter staff too much, Matthew. Katherine
is implying that there is not a chance Conan will be killed
and there is indeed a chance. Otherwise, what is he being
evaluated for on June 29th?

Old June 27th 05, 10:59 PM
Candace

Jess A via CatKB.com wrote:

Conan has some time, and I think it is a mistake for people to rush into this
adoption. Take a little time, have some standards, and find Conan a good
home. At this point, nobody should settle for someone like Charlie. Instead
the focus should be put on finding a really wonderful home for Conan with
someone that can give him all of the wonderful things he deserves.

--
A concerned cat lover

Your concern is going to cause this cat his life. You shouldn't have
meddled at this late stage of the game. Why didn't you pipe in earlier
before all these people have worked on making arrangements? You should
have kept out of it and now if Conan can't be sprung, his blood will be
on your hands. Asshole.

Candace

Old June 27th 05, 11:07 PM
-L.

Jess A via CatKB.com wrote:
[...]

FWIW, most shelters do periodic health checks of cats that are there
for extended stays - this includes a vet or vet tech check, taking the
cat's temp, and general health screen. This may be what was meant be
"re-evaluation". Why - when they call the shelter - doesn't someone
ask *exactly WHAT* they mean by "re-evaluation"...instead of all this
speculation...?
-L.

Old June 27th 05, 11:19 PM
Mary

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Jess A via CatKB.com wrote:
[...]

I asked Katherine that and she skirted the issue. If all you have to offer
to those who are giving their time and money to help Conan is to
tell even more people to "call the shelter," why bother? Asshole.