(crossposted) Help giving IM injection

Old January 8th 05, 01:09 AM
Connie

Default (crossposted) Help giving IM injection

I have to give my cat an IM injection. I was doing this for about a year.
That was about 2 years ago. I have to do it again, it is b12 and a steroid
mixture. The problem is, he seems to have lost muscle mass. When I did it
last week, I felt a knot in the SQ tissue after I was done, so I am guessing
I did not get it right. I was sure I palpated his muscle before I did it...
Any tips, hints, or tricks you could advise me of? Thank you! (By the way, I
was giving it in the back leg)

Old January 8th 05, 03:04 AM
PaBo

HI Connie, you might try giving it to him in the other side,
alternating back and forth to give the muscle time to relax.Also
palpatating the muscle AFTER giving the shot is a good idea to get the
blood flowing and distribute the medicine more effectively.
good luck,
-pamela

Old January 8th 05, 06:29 AM
-L.

Be sure to avoid the midline of the back leg - there is a major nerve
that runs down the back of the leg, and hitting it can cause big
problems. if you have to do it weekly, alternate legs, and try to keep
track of how far down on the leg you did it the week previous. Also
ask your doc if some shots can be given sub-Q to alleviate the strain
on the leg muscles (many drugs can be given sub-Q). B12 weekly seems
excessive, but I don't know what you are treating.

good luck!

-L.