15 sq feet

Old January 5th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget

Default 15 sq feet

As most of you know, I moved into a new apartment last fall. Newer and
better and bigger. The old apartment, less than 500 sq feet, the new
apartment, almost 900 square feet. I could understand why the cats were
always underfoot when the place was so small and there was no place to
go and sleeping places didn't abound. But now that they have an upstairs
and a downstairs, I don't understand what is so important about the 15
sq. feet surrounding ME. Even less if I am sleeping. If I am awake, they
only one of them at a time insists on being in full body contact.
Asleep, all three of them require contact.

I think Mythbusters (TV show here in US) ought to do a show busting the
myth that cats are standoffish and want nothing to do with people. I
can't get my crew to leave me alone. And two of the three don't mind
company, even little kids - like 2 years olds.

Bridget - who can't imagine being owned by twenty cats who loved her and
wanted to be in contact with her all the time.
Old January 5th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
Bridget wrote:
snip
I think Mythbusters (TV show here in US) ought to do a show busting the
myth that cats are standoffish and want nothing to do with people. I
can't get my crew to leave me alone. And two of the three don't mind
company, even little kids - like 2 years olds.

Mine both like to sleep with me, but when they're awake Mandy and the late
Betsy were subtle. If I moved from room to room, the 'standoffish' cats
wouldn't follow me, wrapping themselves around my ankles. But within
minutes, they'd both oh-so-casually wander into the room I had moved to,
and settle themselves in new spots.

Sam, now, he hasn't got a subtle bone in his body, and he likes company.
He'll wander around wailing and lonely until he finds me and Mandy, and
then his idea of togetherness tends to be along the lines of him being
held in my arms, getting scritches and purring madly, while I'm on the
computer or doingn a jigsaw puzzle. He can't understand why I sometimes
have a problem with this.

Mind you, I don't know *why* a predator with normal ears, nose and eyes
wanders around a house which, although bigger than your apartment is far
from large, wailing as though he couldn't find the other occupants, but
Betsy used to do that, too.

Oh, Tony is hysterical, every once in a while, he will decide I am not
where he can find me and he wanders around the place wailing at the top
of his lungs until I yell at him to come join me silly cat at which
point he comes running joyfully mrrping and purring all the way. He even
did it in the smaller apartment. There really was no way to not find me.
I just laughed at him. I can't blame it on old age because he has done
it since he was a kitten. He is now 13.

Bridget
Old January 5th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

Cinnamon will walk around crying sometimes if she can't find me. I'll say
for example if she is downstairs and I'm upstairs "Cinnamon, I'm up here."
She will stop crying then. It's as if she lost track of me.
Ann

see pictures of Sam at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ann791/my_photos
"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message
snip

--
Cheryl

Old January 6th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Bridget wrote:
As most of you know, I moved into a new apartment last fall. Newer and
better and bigger. The old apartment, less than 500 sq feet, the new
apartment, almost 900 square feet. I could understand why the cats were
always underfoot when the place was so small and there was no place to
go and sleeping places didn't abound. But now that they have an upstairs
and a downstairs, I don't understand what is so important about the 15
sq. feet surrounding ME. Even less if I am sleeping. If I am awake, they
only one of them at a time insists on being in full body contact.
Asleep, all three of them require contact.

I used to live in 'studio' apartments - i.e. consisting of only one room
- with Frank and Nikki. When I moved to a bigger flat with several
rooms, Frank would be sleeping in the bedroom, then wake up, not see me,
and mew pitifully until I called to him, 'I'm here, Frank,' from the
other room. Sometimes, I had to go into the bedroom to reassure him (he
had me well trained, didn't he?).