Cat Blindness

Old February 11th 05, 04:06 AM
Michael Hensley via CatKB.com

My location is in the lower part of Alabama

Old February 11th 05, 07:15 AM
Phil P.

"Michael Hensley via CatKB.com" wrote in message
My location is in the lower part of Alabama

Are you closer to Athens or Baton Rouge?

Old February 11th 05, 12:23 PM
Phil P.

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Just FWIW, a couple years ago I placed a blind female, spayed, elderly
cat in a 2-cat home - they all got along fine. The other cats were
both neutered males - an older (12) and a young'n (2). They got along
right from the start. I think they simply didn't see the old gal as a
threat. She and the youngster sleep together and groom each other.
It may just be a matter of finding the right cat.

I think you're right. Also, after scrutinizing the sequence of events over
and over, I think the problem may have also involved the choice of
adoptives.

Old February 11th 05, 12:28 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message
She's been doing fine in a single-cat
home for quite awhile - however, I think
she would be happier with a companion
with whom she could bond.

She's been doing well on her own

But I think she would be happier with a companion. She's not a loner or the
single-cat type.

and after not one but two failed
attempts at introducing her to other cats

That's where the problems may have been. We're not absolutely sure the
adoptives followed our introduction instructions to the letter. They may
have allowed free reign and initial physical contact to soon because she's
such a mellow and easygoing cat or, they may have felt the introduction
process was too drawn out and/or too inconvenient.

I can't always assume people relinquishing a cat are always telling the
entire truth. A cat with special needs may have turned out to be more of a
responsibility than they originally anticipated. Its easier to blame the
cats than themselves. She wasn't harmed and there wasn't any evidence of an
attack; she clearly didn't display any fear of others cats when she was
returned. IOW, I have my doubts.

at this point you should leave
well enough alone. There is no guarantee that she would bond with
whatever cat is brought into the picture,

I understand your concerns, however, she was not the aggressor in either
situation. The reason I'm even thinking about a companion for her is
because she got along so well with the other cats in reception and clearly
sought and enjoyed the company of other cats. She wasn't a hider or a
loner, or defensive. She actively sought companionship in a nonaggressive
and friendly manner. If she didn't, we wouldn't have even considered
placing her in a multicat home in the first place.

and if it doesn't work out
then she'll have been stressed yet again, and the other cat will be
stressed again as well as being taken out of another home and being
placed in yet another foster home until something permanent is found.
Right now she's happy and doing well.

I said she was doing quite well meaning they weren't having any problems. I
didn't say she was happy - and from the way she seemed to enjoy the company
of the other cats in reception, I don't think she's really happy as a single
cat. Her guardian would also like her to have a friend - which adds
additional concerns. I would rather her guardian and us carefully choose a
companion whom we know well, rather than her guardian adopt an unknown cat
from an unknown source.

Thanks for your input. You brought up some valid issues.

Phil

Old February 11th 05, 03:24 PM
Holly via CatKB.com

Hi Phil,
I have 2 other cats and a dog and they seem to me to know that Pheniox
needs alittle extra at times. Sometimes my little one Sasha will sit and
call her to her food bowl at meal times.

Old February 13th 05, 05:22 PM
MaryL

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message
link.net...

I'm very glad you re-emphasized the importance of slow, well-planned
introductions. Because their cats may be mellow and easy-going, many
people
believe planned introductions aren't necessary. To my mind, the two or
three week introduction is a small price to pay to ensure a life-long
harmonious companionship.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Absolutely perfect! I think you should really consider building a website
devoted strictly to introductions so it can be Googled. I think it would
prevent a lot of disasters and returns.

Btw, did you cut out the door specifically for the introduction? I think
its a great idea! A sliding grate with adjustable hieghts might make a
perfect idea even better.

I think your site will also be an inspiration to others with blind cats
and
might even encourage some people to seek and adopt blind cats!

Great job, Mary.

Phil

Thanks, Phil. Yes, I had the door made specifically for the introduction.
Megan suggested using a screen door to replace the permanent door, and I
have a person who does all sorts of "handyman" projects who was able to come
up with that door. He located an unfinished interior door that was very
inexpensive because it had some damage on one side, cut out a large square,
then installed a type of heavy-duty screening (actually, the type of heavy
metal mesh that is often placed at the bottom of doors to protect against
damage if someone accidentally kicks it), and finally nailed a thin piece of
wood on the inside of the door all around the edges of the screening so
there would not be any sharp edges. I went with this smaller design because
I could easily cover it with fabric (even had hooks placed on the inside for
that purpose), in case Holly or Duffy became agitated. In actual fact, I
never did need to cover the screen. He removed the hardware (handle and
hinges) from my permanent door and used them for the temporary door, then
reversed the process when I no longer needed the temporary door.
Incidentally, the temporary door is now lying in my attic -- if I ever need
it, I will have it readily available.

MaryL

Old February 13th 05, 10:22 PM
Phil P.

"Phil P." wrote in message

snip

[...]

That's actually a great idea. Inexpensive doors can be bought at Home Depot
for a lot less than the 3 gates I use. In fact, a pre-hung door in a frame
with hinges already installed would be cheaper than the gates. Just throw
out the frame! Switching doors is just a matter of sliding out 2 pins in
the hinges. Cutting the opening could be done with a jigsaw or even a
keyhole saw for $5. Decorative aluminum radiator grates could be tacked
over the opening for another $10.

I really like that idea! Its the best one I've seen - its even more
convenient than the gates.

Thanks!

Phil

Old February 13th 05, 10:55 PM
MaryL

"Phil P." wrote in message
ink.net...

"Phil P." wrote in message

snip

[...]

Yes, it really was convenient. I could easily slip in and out to bring food
and "attention" to Duffy. While Duffy was in that room, I alternated times
between the two cats -- that is usually my guest bedroom, so I spent every
other night in my own room so Holly could be with me and every other night
in the room with Duffy. I spent a lot of time with Duffy so he would not be
lonely -- would often sit in that room reading or watching TV, and Duffy
soon found that he wanted to either be in my lap or curl up on the top of
the chair behind my head. It was very important for Holly to know that she
wasn't somehow being relegated to second-place status, so I literally poured
the affection on her every time I came out of Duffy's room, and I made sure
that I gave her as much or more time than Duffy.

MaryL