Mirco Chiping a cat

Old April 8th 10, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask[_2_]

Default Mirco Chiping a cat

Rebel Rouser wrote:
Is there a certain brand of chip that is best ? Has anyone had any
problems or good results from getting their cat chiped ?
Thank You very much,

Michael Lane

" Life ain't easy, when your fat & greasy "

This how it works in Australia

http://www.petregister.com.au/
Old April 8th 10, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 12:53:57 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

wrote in message
Microchipping is very safe. The odds of a problem are extremely small.
How often does an indoor only cat get outside? Mine don't hover by the
door or try very much, but they still manage to escape on rare
occasions. I've had Jay Jay for 5 years now, and he escaped twice in
the first year. I've had Sassy Taz for a year and a half, and she has
gotten out at least 5 times. (None of these times were because of me).
We got them back inside quickly. But it proves that it can happen.

I suppose it depends on where you live, but I've never had that kind of
problem with my cats. They are all "outside" cats, but they seldom leave the
property. One of them was an inside cat for about 7 years before we got her,
and the first time she went through the cat door to the outside, she just
lay on the front lawn and rolled around and really enjoyed being outside,
but then she came right in again and now she never leaves the property at
all. The only two I have that wander at all never go further than a half
block away, either to the mailbox to greet the neighbors when they pick up
their mail, or across the street to their former owners. (who got a dog that
they can't stand)
I can understand keeping cats inside to protect them from autos and or
other predators, but to prevent them from running away just doesn't compute
with me. All the "inside" cats I have ever known, won't go more than 20 feet
away from their front doors whenever they get the chance to go outside, and
even my outside cats seldom leave the property.

The major worry here in NYC is the street traffic. It's pretty much a
matter of luck if they're going to get hit since they just don't look
before crossing the road. That's pretty much the only reason I don't
let them out, and I do let them in the backyard which I've fenced in.

I have one cat that does still have wander rights and he almost always
leaves in the morning when I do and comes in at night. He lost his
collar during the snowstorm and I found it a week later in a tree
across the street. But they really don't travel very far.
Old April 9th 10, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Yes....that's why I began my post with, "I suppose it depends on where you
live, but....." If I lived in downtown NYC, (where I was born, by the way)
I certainly wouldn't have "outside" cats.

Old April 9th 10, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 22:23:20 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

But there's always some threat. If it isn't urban enough for cars to
be a problem, then it's rural enough for coyotes. Hmm. Maybe there IS
some middle ground.

Of course in NYC, most people have apartments and can't let their cats
roam, except in the hallways and that's sure to **** off the
neighbors. I used to live in a small apartment building and for a
treat my cats got to go "out" into the hallway while I kept them from
going downstairs. I was on the top floor so they couldn't go up.

In fact, I bought my house so that my cats could have a better life
and go into the yard. That really was a primary motive. The apartment
didn't even have a south facing window.

As soon as they were comfortable in the new house (which was already
three times as large as the apartment) I fenced in the yard and out
they went. To this day, when I get home, they line up to go out and
they often get the chance.
Old April 11th 10, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

something to look at for those who are not sure about getting a lost pet
back

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...st/8612006.stm

Old April 12th 10, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Apr 9, 6:02*am, dgk wrote:

But there's always some threat. If it isn't urban enough for cars to
be a problem, then it's rural enough for coyotes. Hmm. Maybe there IS
some middle ground.

We have both at the same time. We live on a high traffic street as it
is a main artery and gets a lot of traffic during rush hours. We also
have a wooded area behind the house.

Last year, my sister (who lives next door) lost her older cat, the
last one that she let go outside. The next 3 days, we saw a coyote in
the backyard and driveway.

Other dangers could be cat hating neighbors, accidental poisoning
(antifreeze, etc), owls, dogs, other cats, etc. I don't think anywhere
is really safe. We have multiple cat trees, cat beds, tons of toys,
etc, so our cats get a lot of physical and mental activity. They have
a great life.

Old April 14th 10, 05:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kterl email

Nooooooooooo
Please don't chip a pet.

Old April 14th 10, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kterl email

Paul sounds informed IMO.

There are always some that don't want to/don't have the time to
investigate on their own. Thank you Paul for your patience in sharing
your findings with others for the health of our pets.

Old April 15th 10, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
starcat

"Kterl email" wrote in message
Nooooooooooo
Please don't chip a pet.

Too late. Mine are all chipped.

Old April 15th 10, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"starcat" wrote in message

"Kterl email" wrote in message
Nooooooooooo