sick old cat

Old July 31st 03, 01:18 AM
Elaine Rene

"Roadside Artist" a écrit dans le
message de news: ...
You know, none of us want to face the inevitable outcome of life, and
everyone on here (presumably) is a cat lover. So I guess I understand the
hostile responses.

But when it all comes down to the "bottom line", having had a good, happy
and contented life is *all* you can ask for, you know? A cat who has had
such a life already has had the best thing people can give her.

Things have changed for people and their pets, I know. But not all change

is
good change. People used to die at home surrounded by family, now we do
heroic things to save them and they die frightened and alone or surrounded
by strangers who, while doing their professional duty, are personally
indifferent to their existence. Is this *really* an improvement?

Trips to the vet are frightening and very upsetting for many cats and for
one who is 17 it seems an unnecessary cruelty if the animal is not in a

lot
of pain.

If it were me, I might see if I could get a paraprofessional to make a

home
visit and/or look up stuff on the web to see if there would be something I
could do to make her more comfortable, but at that age it would seem a

shame
to spend the last moments of a full life, frightened and traumatized in

the
hands of a stranger.

But that's just my two cents worth.

I find your 2 cents are very worthy.
I have on my conscience an unexpected death of a cat at the vet (many years
back). Never again. From a human point of view, we did all the "right"
things for her with the medical attention, the hospitalization, the high
bills and all, yet all I have out of this is a profound feeling of guilt and
the knowledge I did the wrong moves. She must have felt terribly abandonned
and afraid. You can't communicate to them that its "good for you".. they are
animals.
I take them in for care, but always warn the vets that I'm walking back out
with my pet. If I felt they couldnt handle the trip or the treatments, I
wouldn't gamble it. As much as possible, my pets will end their beautiful
lives in the security of their home or where they chose.

Elaine

Old July 31st 03, 01:26 AM
Elaine Rene

Don't let all the flaming attain you. Its never for a good cause, always
for the ego (my guy the psy says).
You are the only one in your shoes and you are the one who knows your cat
best, you follow what your heart tells you.
If the trip really scares you, give the vet a call and talk over the
symptoms, it might help you decide, maybe?
I know I'm late on this, sorry.

Elaine

"Moosh:]" a écrit dans le message de news:
I have a seventeen year old cat who has been fine until the last few
days. She has gone off her food, seems weak and feeble, and rather
emaciated (although she has been getting scrawnier for a while now --
we just put it down to old age). She just likes to sleep in the Sun in
the day, and on the lounge at night. She even refuses her favourite
food, raw beaten egg.
She has a black discharge in the corners of her eyes, and when you
pick her up, you can feel the bottom of her rib cage seeming to curl
outwards, so you feel a protruding ridge.
Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Old July 31st 03, 06:21 AM
Joan

Dear Moosh,

Please be prepared to get some very tough opinions. If you noticed,
someone already told you to "sell" your pc. Also, "why didn't you
save"? etc.

I had posted a sick cat posting expressing my concern of my 13 yr old
cat + my $ situation (I'm disabled & disability is all screwed up so
no $'s yet). I got blasted. Thank goodness I was strong enuf to not
let them get the best of me. (The cat is fine).

Do the best you can. 17 yrs is a good age. If you have to let the
cat go because of $'s, please be prepared to accept that there wasn't
anything you could do. People can be cruel & not give a damn for the
owner.

I wish you well.

Fla Joan

Old July 31st 03, 06:26 AM
Joan

Your mssg was very real & kind. It's worth a whole lot more that 2 cents!

Fla Joan

-------

www.roadsideartist.com

Old July 31st 03, 07:12 AM
Moosh:]

On 30 Jul 2003 22:21:24 -0700, (Joan) posted:

Dear Moosh,

Please be prepared to get some very tough opinions. If you noticed,
someone already told you to "sell" your pc. Also, "why didn't you
save"? etc.

I had posted a sick cat posting expressing my concern of my 13 yr old
cat + my $ situation (I'm disabled & disability is all screwed up so
no $'s yet). I got blasted. Thank goodness I was strong enuf to not
let them get the best of me. (The cat is fine).

Do the best you can. 17 yrs is a good age. If you have to let the
cat go because of $'s, please be prepared to accept that there wasn't
anything you could do. People can be cruel & not give a damn for the
owner.

I wish you well.

Thanks for your kind words, Joan. And those of others on this group.
As it turned out, I couldn't have done anything anyway. Puss died
peacefully in her sleep last night (30th here).
She was my late son's cat and was rather special and will be sorely
missed.
Regards to all and thanks for your comments.