Went in for X-Ray, came out with dead cat

Old September 7th 03, 09:54 PM
Cheryl

In om,
scs0 composed with style:

- The whole "reaction to the anesthesia" seems fishy. What would a
reaction actually involve? From what we were told they injected her
with the anesthesia then later noticed that she wasn't breathing.
If a reaction was occuring, wouldn't the body begin to spasm,
vomit, or have some sort of other reaction? If the cat calmly just
stopped breathing, wouldn't it be more likely that they gave her
too much? (BTW, she was under once before when the breeder had her
neutered) We are guessing that they were busy, injected enough for
a rottweiler, left her, and then didn't notice she was dead until
it was too late.

I'm so very sorry you lost your kitty this way. My Shadow had a
reaction to anesthesia and his heart raced while he was under. At the
time I was very ****ed off about how it was handled. There was a
cardiologist practice in the same office with the internist and he was
brought out of anesthesia very quickly but I've found that this
happens and with a young cat in particular, they aren't screened and
maybe they should be. It's no ones fault and it probably has
different affects on different cats.

My condolences on your loss.

Old September 7th 03, 09:58 PM
Cheryl

In ,
Hank composed with style:
Perhaps it would be a good idea to post your location and your
vet's name so others in your area can avoid a similar nightmare.

I have doubts about this approach. I wanted to, also, publicly with a
vet who has caused numerous problems with my cat but I don't think a
public flogging is the answer. Even if it is only Usenet. It could
cause problems for the one who posts it.

Old September 7th 03, 11:44 PM
William Hamblen

On 2003-09-07, Kuisse0002 wrote:

I feel terrible for your loss. And yes I am mad at your vet for such
incompetency but how do we get them to pay for their incompetency. By the time
we take them to the courts (and if found "not incompetent") it is still a lose
- lose situation for us pet owners.

You aren't likely to get much in the way of damages. Usually the monetary
value of the cat is zero. Claims for compensation for mental anguish
won't get you anywhere. Vets aren't rich, either, so there's no water in
that well. You can write a letter to the state board but that's about it.
The thing is that animals do die from anesthesia for reasons other than
negligence. A certain fraction won't tolerate sedation or anesthesia.

Old September 7th 03, 11:44 PM
William Hamblen

Old September 7th 03, 11:44 PM
William Hamblen

Old September 7th 03, 11:46 PM
Hank

I have doubts about this approach. I wanted to, also, publicly with a
vet who has caused numerous problems with my cat but I don't think a
public flogging is the answer. Even if it is only Usenet. It could
cause problems for the one who posts it.

Not to doubt you Cheryl, but how might it "cause problems for the one who
posts it"?