Nuetering

Old May 3rd 05, 12:22 AM
soft

Brad,

I have 3 rescue cats. and 1 maine coon.

My first 2 cats - Lucifer & Catfive were spay/neutered at about 4
months of age. I could have done so sooner but because catfive was
extremely sick when we got them, rescued - full of worms and flees to
the point he almost died. They were also both too small to have been
removed from the mommy cat but someone did not care about that either.
Anyway I wanted to get them both up to a good healthy condition before
surgery and having contacted spay usa - and some vets I felt safe in
this.

My Maine Coon however I delayed neutering longer per the request of
the breeder and my vet advised the same. The group argued the point
with me, however it worked for me just fine. I neutered him when he
was 8 months old. I watched for any signs in him that showed he was
becoming mature as apposed to a kitten. Like him challenging my other
male cat. He did not ever spray befoer neutering and has not since.
Everything went well and I am happy with the delay. He had no problems
and was up running around within 24 hours of the surgery with no signs
he had had it.

The choice is yours, neutering is easy and unless you have some
specific reason to delay - why not get it done with now?

www.spayusa.org/
low cost spay neutering...

soft
Old May 3rd 05, 12:23 AM
soft

Rusty was taught early the consequences of going outside the box. He was
using the box as soon as he could climb over the edge to get into the box
... 5 weeks.

consequences????

soft

Old May 3rd 05, 12:28 AM

I should have mentioned that the breeder is in Oklahoma and I am in
Wisconsin. Philip I think it was you who mentioned waiting until he
shows signs of wanting to mate what are the odds of him spraying
before yowling which obviously I would like to keep away from.

Brad

Brad, are you dealing with Sooner State Siberians? website:
http://www.soonerstatesiberians.com

If so, something about that place just strikes me wrong. Several
things, really. How well have you checked them out?

Sherry

Old May 3rd 05, 12:45 AM
-L.

Philip wrote:
Rusty was taught early the consequences of going outside the box. He

was
using the box as soon as he could climb over the edge to get into the

box
... 5 weeks.

That's different than spraying. You cannot train an intact cat not to
spray.

And a cat shopuld never be punished for inappropriate elimination -
especially a kitten that isn't properly litter trained yet.

-L.

Old May 3rd 05, 12:47 AM
-L.

Brad wrote:
I should have mentioned that the breeder is in Oklahoma and I am in
Wisconsin. Philip I think it was you who mentioned waiting until he
shows signs of wanting to mate what are the odds of him spraying
before yowling which obviously I would like to keep away from.

Brad

You absolutley do *not* want to wait until he has mating urges - by
then it may be too late to curb spraying even if he is neutered.

Get him neutered ASAP. Tell the breeder you will send vet documents as
soon as it is done, if they are *that* concerned about it.

-L.

Old May 3rd 05, 05:59 AM
Philip

Phil P. wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message
ink.net...
Phil P. wrote:

There are more than 30 years of research and studies documenting the
safety
and advantages of early-age neutering. Here're a few:

http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hboo...pop/early.html

http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/ope/ivb/spay-neu.htm

http://www.catvet.homestead.com/EarlyAlter.html

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/heal...ay-neuter.html

http://cats.about.com/cs/spayneuter/a/earlyneuter.htm

http://www.cfhs.ca/Programs/HumaneEd...Spay/index.htm

http://www.netcat.org/symposium/early-neuter-spay.html

http://www.bestfriends.org/nmhp/reso...spayneuter.htm

Great. Now how about posting an equal number of arguments against the
practice of early alteration.

There aren't any. All the myths and concerns about early-age
neutering have been debunked and refuted by 35 years of studies and
clinical practice.
Many vets oppose early-age neutering simply because of their
unfamiliarity
with surgery and anesthesia on pediatric cats (and dogs). EAN wasn't
taught
in vet schools until fairly recently- even though its been practiced
for 35 years on cats and dogs and for 50 years on farm animals.
Also, some people are just plain squeamish about surgery on young
kittens. A more rational explanation for their opposition just
doesn't exist.

Is this the point where somebody brings up mountin' oysters?

Old May 3rd 05, 05:59 AM
Philip

soft wrote:
Rusty was taught early the consequences of going outside the box. He
was using the box as soon as he could climb over the edge to get
into the box ... 5 weeks.

consequences????

soft

You need to know that I acquired Rusty as either tossed by some joker or a
wandered off from a ferul litter. He was 2-3 weeks old (no reflection in
eyes at night ... night vision not yet developed). He had no indoor
socializing to a box. Zip. So he had to be taught .... several times where
to relieve himself. At that stage, I could have taught him to pee in shoe
for all that goes. LOL

Old May 3rd 05, 05:59 AM
Philip

-L. wrote:
Philip wrote:
Rusty was taught early the consequences of going outside the box. He
was using the box as soon as he could climb over the edge to get
into the box ... 5 weeks.

That's different than spraying. You cannot train an intact cat not to
spray.

And a cat shopuld never be punished for inappropriate elimination -
especially a kitten that isn't properly litter trained yet.

-L.

No disagreement. Territorial marking is a different function. As for
"inappropriate elimination" ... we'll just have to agree to disagree on that
point. Teach 'em when they're small so little errors don't become habits.

Old May 3rd 05, 06:09 AM
-L.

Philip wrote:

No disagreement. Territorial marking is a different function. As for

"inappropriate elimination" ... we'll just have to agree to disagree

on that
point. Teach 'em when they're small so little errors don't become

habits.

You do understand, don't you, that kittens have to be trained by their
mothers to use a litter box - that they do not automatically know what
to do? But that kittens will willingly use a litterbox if they can
find it and understand what it is used for?

And you do understand that well over 95% of inappropriate elimination
issues are medical in origin - that the cat is sick?

I cannot imagine punishing an animal for inappropriate elimination. It
is more than likely to have the reverse effect.

-L.

Old May 3rd 05, 06:28 PM
Philip

-L. wrote:
Philip wrote:

No disagreement. Territorial marking is a different function. As for

"inappropriate elimination" ... we'll just have to agree to disagree
on that point. Teach 'em when they're small so little errors don't
become habits.

You do understand, don't you, that kittens have to be trained by their
mothers to use a litter box - that they do not automatically know what
to do? But that kittens will willingly use a litterbox if they can
find it and understand what it is used for?

Lyn, do scroll back a post or two and read how I found Rusty. I was the
momma cat but I was not about to squat down in the litter box and "show"
him. We had a lady from our church visit. She walked in the back door and
noticed the litter box. "Oh, you have a cat?" she said with disdain. I
replied, "No, that's for guests."

And you do understand that well over 95% of inappropriate elimination
issues are medical in origin - that the cat is sick?

Rubbish. A healthy steamy turd misplaced does not fit that explanation.
Sorry.

I cannot imagine punishing an animal for inappropriate elimination.
It is more than likely to have the reverse effect.

-L.

Ah yes. Toxically compassionate women usually leap to training=punishment
when they hear the word "training" from a man. I outlined for you how yak
furball yak training occurred. Litter training was similar. It works.