allergy testing on cats

Old February 17th 04, 10:53 PM
Paige

Default allergy testing on cats

Hello, my 5 year old cat has been having allergy problems for about 8 months
now and the vet and I can't seem to figure out what it is. I don't want to
keep getting her cortisone shots so we are going to go to a dermatologist
for allergy testing. My question: has anyone had this done lately? We are
going to do the injections (not a blood test). Any advice? I'm at the end
of my string and desperate to find out what her allergy is even if it means
doing this testing! Is there any discomfort for the cat or do the sedate
them? I would be asking this to the doctor but we have to wait until her
current shot wears off before we can go the dermatologist.

Thanks,
Paige

Old February 19th 04, 03:56 PM
Phil P.

"Paige" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello, my 5 year old cat has been having allergy problems for about 8

months
now and the vet and I can't seem to figure out what it is.

What kind of allergy problems? What are the symptoms?

I don't want to
keep getting her cortisone shots so we are going to go to a dermatologist
for allergy testing.

Wise choice. Sadly, too many people settle on indefinite symptomatic
treatment when allergy testing may lead to identifcation of the allergen and
simple avoidance of the allergen which may be the best and only therapeutic
option that's necessary.

My question: has anyone had this done lately? We are
going to do the injections (not a blood test). Any advice? I'm at the

end
of my string and desperate to find out what her allergy is even if it

means
doing this testing! Is there any discomfort for the cat or do the sedate
them? I would be asking this to the doctor but we have to wait until her
current shot wears off before we can go the dermatologist.

If I were you, I'd opt for one of the serologic allergy tests (RAST or
ELISA) -first- rather than the intradermal (a/k/a "patch test", "skin
test"). The RAST or ELISA test are much easier and less stressful for the
cat. Both tests involve simply obtaining a simple blood sample, then
separating
off the serum, and then testing the serum against possible allergens in
a -test tube- rather than on the cat.

Some vets feel that the serologc tests may not be as accurate as the patch
test, however, they have some very significant advantages over the patch
test. In addition to avoiding all the stress and discomfort that the patch
test subjects the cat to, allergen -groups- instead of individual antigens
can be used for testing. This means you can test and rule out several
possible allergens in a -single- test. After you narrow down the
possiblities to a few allergens, then you can opt for the patch test if the
RAST or ELISA doesn't identify the specific allergen. This plan is much
easier on
the cat and will probably cost less in the long run because you can test
more allergens with fewer tests and office visits.

Also, another thing you have to remember with the patch test is that a
positive reaction only indicates -skin- sensitivity and not necessarily
systemic sensistivity.

Good luck.

Phil

Old February 19th 04, 10:17 PM
Paige

Her symptoms are itching, chewing at her feet, scratching her cheeks and top
of her head. When this first started she scratched herself bald around her
neck and behind her ears. The hair has since grown back but the itching and
agitation is still there. It must be an inhalant allergy because she's had
the problem even while on a hypoallergenic diet. I've since switched her
back to normal food. Also While on the hypoallergenic diet (or maybe the
shots I don't know) she has really dry flaky skin. Hopefully the
dermatologist can help solve the puzzle.

Thank you for your advice, I will consider the blood tests. It's just that
I work in the laboratory and those kind of tests are not as specific as the
other in terms of identifying what you are allergic to.

Thanks,
Paige

Old February 20th 04, 01:00 AM
Phil P.

"Paige" wrote in message
k.net...
Her symptoms are itching, chewing at her feet, scratching her cheeks and

top
of her head. When this first started she scratched herself bald around her
neck and behind her ears. The hair has since grown back but the itching

and
agitation is still there. It must be an inhalant allergy because she's

had
the problem even while on a hypoallergenic diet.

Do you have carpeting in your home? The chemicals in the backing as well as
some of the glues used to affix the backing to the carpet can be highly
allergenic. The cat is much closer, and her skin is in direct contact for
longer periods of time than humans.

Does she have the same symptoms or are they as severe in the summer and
warmer months? Homes are usually closed up in the winter so the
concentration of allergens in the environment increase.

I've since switched her
back to normal food. Also While on the hypoallergenic diet (or maybe the
shots I don't know) she has really dry flaky skin. Hopefully the
dermatologist can help solve the puzzle.

Thank you for your advice, I will consider the blood tests. It's just

that
I work in the laboratory and those kind of tests are not as specific as

the
other in terms of identifying what you are allergic to.

True, but the RAST narrows down the possibilities significantly and reduces
the number of skin tests and discomfort the cat must endure. I think there
are something like 400 commercially available testing allergens!

Good luck

Phil

Old February 20th 04, 01:48 AM
Cheryl

Phil P. wrote in on 19 Feb
2004:

The chemicals in the backing as well as
some of the glues used to affix the backing to the carpet can be
highly allergenic. The cat is much closer, and her skin is in direct
contact for longer periods of time than humans.

I've been wondering if a "contact" allergy is just as common as an inhalent
allergy. Or is it the same?

--
Cheryl

Trapped like rats. In a chia-pet.