My Siamese Has IBD (Or So Was Told)

Old May 6th 04, 07:28 PM
Zaida

Default My Siamese Has IBD (Or So Was Told)

I need an opinion please ... 2nd, 3rd, it doesn't matter. My mind is open
to all possibilities and explanations.

I have a 12-year old Tonkinese whom I had boarded 2 weeks ago when my family
and I went out of town. I left him with a reputable vet in my area on a
Friday and picked him up the next Monday.

During this time, I also left instructions to go ahead with bloodwork
because I had also wanted to go ahead with his dental cleaning at the same
time. But time was short, so the vet simply ordered labwork and a future
dental appointment was made instead. While I was gone though, the vet left
me several messages saying she found, upon exam, a right ear infection that
required ear flushing. I gave my consent.

I was told the flushing was done Monday morning (I picked up Ming, my
Siamese, Monday afternoon). When we got home, I took him out of the
carrier. To my shock, he was falling all over the place. He had a
staggering gait and at the very least, couldn't leap in and out of the sofa.
No head tilt; no rocking eye movement though, but on his right eye, the
inner lid was showing half-way consistently; very glassy and drowsy
appearance. I put him on the sofa, but he was not comfortable.
Intermittently, he would let out a howl (very loud; uncharacteristic of this
cat). Then he vomitted at one point. For the rest of the evening, he would
try to jump out of the sofa, fall, get up and stagger, find a hiding place,
and howl. To say the least, he would not eat. After vomitting, he slept
peacefully the rest of the night on the sofa (not his usual sleeping place
by the way).

He had a medication to be taken once a day: tresaderm, which I applied to
his right ear the following morning (Tuesday). When I placed that in his
right ear, he shook his head and then vomitted right after. I called the
vet who told me to withhold the tresaderm and she replaced it with PGN which
I picked up from her office. I continued to monitor his appetite. No
signs, but no more vomitting episodes for the rest of the day and the cat
slept all throughout.

Come Wednesday morning, I applied the PGN. Again he vomitted. So I then
called the vet. I also told her that Ming still hasn't eaten to say the
least in that 48-hour period. She ordered him back. But during the car
ride, he started foaming at the mouth. Vet gave him fluids SQ, but was
concerned about the foaming. It did appear that some was also coming out of
his nose and made a notation that it could be respiratory. We agreed at
that point to bring him twice a day starting Thursday for fluids SQ. A new
antibiotic was given (again) to replace PGN ... Baytril.
Thursday morning, cat still hasn't eaten. I popped a tab of Baytril into
his mouth. 15 minutes later, he vomitted again. I called the vet again.
On the car ride, Ming was foaming in the mouth again. This time, she
hospitalized Ming. I also picked up for her at the drugstore, a couple of
prescriptions for Ming -- Carafate and Metoclopramide. She also said she
was going to give him a pre-surg medication to stop the foaming. She
ordered ultrasound and x-ray to rule out anything respiratory. Friday,
sonogram results revealed a thickened stomach; so thick that food can't pass
through, according to the vet. Vet also mentioned ulcers. I visited Ming
(needless to say, broke my heart to see how lethargic he was). He preferred
sleeping inside his potty box. The doctor placed an extra aluminum tray for
him to sleep in.

Throughout the weekend, Ming was on fluids IV. Besides the 2 drugs I
mentioned, all of the previous antibiotics were stopped; but Flagyl was used
instead. Sunday night, the vet told me that she has started Ming on
Prednisone. My kids visited Ming Saturday. He still preferred sleeping
inside the potty.

I took Ming home (5/3) Monday afternoon. His vet explained to me about his
gait and what she reiterated would go away in time; that the sight is more
disturbing to us people than it is to Ming. I asked her what in her opinion
did Ming really have and she said inflammatory bowel. I raised the
possibility of the ulcers found during ultrasound being due from stress
secondary to an equilibrium from the ear flushing; she believed the two were
unrelated. She explained that ulcers don't develop overnight; they take
time. We discussed the possibility of him having eaten a plant to have
caused the ulcers. My cat is an indoor cat. He did enjoy playing with (and
chewing on) tall long grasses that are sometimes included with the flowers I
buy and take home. Other than that, there is no plant in this house -- I
really don't have any indoors; they're fake because I'm the type who forgets
to water my plants :-(

$1500+ later, my cat remains unappetent, still nauseated and looking
emaciated. I also signed a release statement indicating that my cat is not
100% better. At home, after the car ride from the vet, the first thing Ming
did was stagger to his potty box where he promptly threw up. I called the
vet to tell her this. She upped his Prednisone to twice a day.

Everyday that I've had him back, I keep offering him food and water. The
vet also discussed with me that it's ok to give him anything he wants (with
the exception of milk) just to get him starting to eat. He would poke his
head into his bowl, paw at his food, go through the motions of licking and
picking up, but he wouldn't bite. It's almost as if he's scared to eat! I
told the doctor this who is now afraid that it's now psychological.

I won't hesitate to tell anyone that my husband has been flipping over these
costs. He had just had a car accident last week Monday night as well. He
came out unscathed from the accident (a 4-car pile up), but his car has been
totalled. I'm a wreck between the money worries and Ming. I'm at a point
where my cat is not on the threshold of death, yet does not have the will to
eat. I have discussed all these concerns with the vet. I don't want to be
in the position where I have to allow him to die because I can't afford it.
I do have a $350 balance that the vet and I agreed to pay off next month.
The vet has also said in terms that if surgery was going to be needed for
Ming, she could justify euthanasia for my sake because of the surgical cost
(of over $1K), but until then she really would hate not to try all means
possible, medication-wise.

Costs aside, I am now at a point where I'm wondering how much of Ming's
predicament is primary or secondary. By admission, Ming's vet did say that
she seemed to have opened a "pandora's box" when she flushed his ears. I
asked if his ear drum has any tear and she said she couldn't find any,
though some dirt could've attached to tear away a "pin-dot" size during the
flushing. Ming is still unstable when he walks and does fall when he jumps
up and out of the bed or sofa. The vet has reiterated that Ming's gastric
problem and ear problem are unrelated.

Yesterday after Ming came out of his potty, he sat down beside me and
proceeded to clean himself (just like the good 'ol days). I was thrilled to
see that. But as soon as he tilted his head up, he vomitted again. Can
anyone at this point tell me that his vomitting episodes are not related to
an equilibrium problem? Sonogram, according to the vet, did show
ulcerations. And ulcerations "don't appear overnight".

All my husband knows and calls as he sees it is this: we took a healthy,
happy cat to the vet on a Friday a week-and-a-half ago. Today, my cat is so
ill that the question of euthanasia is what we have been talking about most
lately. I have cried and cried; and worried some more ... over everything;
coming to a point where I'm hoping (praying to God) that my care for this
pet shouldn't be put into test over affordability of treatment costs. But
there are priorities that I cannot hugely discount. Above all, I have to
give weight to my husband's concern to maintain our lives within our means.
We are by far, the most humane people possible, but we are also not rich
people.

I just need to know if my cat will ever eat. I've withheld Prenisone the
whole day yesterday as soon as Ming walked away from me to hide underneath
the bed after he vomitted. He seems to "want" to eat. He looks eager to
eat. But that's all he does: poke his nose into the bowl, lick, bite, but
does not take the food in to eat.

Today I have an appointment with the vet. She isn't pleased I withheld the
prednisone, but I'm telling 'ya ... this cat's frame of mind is all I care
for at this point. He hasn't thrown up yet anyway after he last vomitted
yesterday morning. And yes, he did take a bite out of a small piece of
bacon last night; just the size of my pinky nail, but he kept it down and
hasn't vomitted since. This without prednisone.

I'm so afraid to pop a pill into his mouth and be afraid to eat anything
anymore, not after he took a bite out of the bacon. But that's it. And
that was yesterday morning. I've had him back since Monday and it's now
Thursday. This cat, being a Siamese, with his own idiosyncrasies, minus the
prednisone for 24 hours now ... how much of his condition is truly IBD?

I apologize for being distraught ... but I thank this board though so much
in advance.

~ Zaida~

Old May 7th 04, 11:26 AM
MaryL

"Zaida" wrote in message
[...]

Zaida,

This sounds terrible! I don't have any knowledge of all of this, but the
one thing I would suggest is a second opinion. ASAP! I know you said this
is "a reputable vet," but it is also obvious that she really doesn't know
what is wrong. Is there a university veterinary school within driving
distance? Is so, I would suggest that you ask for a referral there, and as
soon as possible. Call and ask them for an estimate of costs -- but when I
took Duffy to the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine, I was surprised
to learn how low the losts were and how high the quality of care was
(knowledge, facilities, *and* a caring attitude). Costs will vary, of
course, depending on procedures done. Take as many records as possible with
you, and ask your vet to email a detailed report to the veterinary college
in advance of your visit.

To me, one of the worst things about this whole episode is that Ming was
sent home in this condition. How could they possibly board a cat that
started out healthy, clean its ears, then send him home in this condition --
and not even *notice* the dramatic deterioration in his health??? That,
alone, would cause me to consult another vet.

One final suggestion of something to look for is this: check all your
artificial plants (not just real ones) to see if Ming has been chewing on
them. Duffy had one instance where he suddenly started vomiting -- many,
many times in a single day, whereas he seldom throws up. I found that he
was chewing on an a couple of artificial plants (especially an artificial
palm with "grassy" foliage). The vet prescribed some medication for nausea,
I got rid of the artificial plants, and Duffy was back to normal the next
day. I realize that this is unlikely to be the cause of anything so severe
as Ming's problems, but it could exascerbate it -- especially if he ate
something that is caught in his intestines. Likewise, has he been checked
for cord, string, ribbon, rubber bands, etc. he might not be able to
eliminate?

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old May 7th 04, 01:17 PM
PawsForThought

"Zaida" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Zaida,
Did you immediately call the vet back and tell him what was going on? If they
sedated him, this sounds like it could be that he was still recovering from
whatever drug they gave him, and unfortunately it sounds like something like
Ketamine (I personally have the vet use Isoflurane, an inhalant gas, on my
cats). However, if this wasn't caused by sedation, I wonder if the flushing
got into his ear canal.

Lauren
________

Old May 7th 04, 03:39 PM
MaryL

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
"Zaida" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Lauren,

You are actually replying to my comments, and I snipped a lot of the OP's
message. Are you able to see the original message? If not, I could include
it here because it provided a lot of information that I deleted (in an
attempt to save space and bandwidth for other users).

MaryL

Old May 7th 04, 05:17 PM
minerva nine

This is a classic case of "get a second opinion." If it were me (and please
note that I have been deemed nuts by many), I would withdraw all the
medications at this point, because he's taken so much stuff there's no way
to tell what is causing his symptoms. Give him a day or two's rest (with
water available, of course), then offer him some warm chicken broth and see
if he takes it. I think your vet's diagnosis of IBD is baloney, because IBD
doesn't come on suddenly and it doesn't cause the symptoms you're
describing. Plus I've never heard of a cat getting ulcers. Second opinion.
Really. Do it for Ming. -- M9

Old May 7th 04, 07:28 PM
KellyH

Hi, just jumping on the "get a second opinion" bandwagon. Make sure you
take all the records from the first vet to the second one, so they can
review the series of events. You may want to try a/d cat food. I know you
can get it from the vet's, not sure if it's available at pet supply stores.

It's really hard to say if the intestinal problems and the ear issues are
related. I don't know if the thickened intestinal walls can develop
suddenly or not. It's possible (just guessing, not sure) that she could
have had the IBD, and the stress of the ear problems and boarding set it
off. If you are anywhere near Tufts University in MA, I highly reccommend
them.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net