Scottish Fold kitten seems lonely or in heat!

Old June 25th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Scottish Fold kitten seems lonely or in heat!

Well yesterday (6/24/07) I met up with a breeder and got a 12 week
female Scottish Fold. We're keeping her in our bedroom (which is
plenty cozy, has everything she needs), but she doesn't want to leave
under the bed unless she has to. When she's under there all she does
is meow and meow and meow; she kept me up most of the night with it.

She isn't eating much (i put the food in front of her twice and she
ate a couple of bites but that's it), but when she does eat she makes
the cutest meow sound while she chews the food. It's adoable.

Anyway...
I know she isn't fixed and she might be in heat (but this young?),
because when I was playing with her and scratching her, she was
perking her bum up and making me scratch her there and she loved it.
She meows out the window every chance she gets; but it's mostly her
just sitting under the bed and meowing non-stop for hours that worries
me. Maybe she misses her family? Maybe she's calling for a mate?

We have a male domestic shorthair mix (neutered) who we've had for a
few more days and we gave him run of the apartment until we get this
new kitten checked out but they don't seem to acknowledge each other
yet (we're keeping the bedroom door closed).

She actually had some green gunk on her nose this morning, maybe she's
getting a kitty cold? She has a vet appointment for tomorrow but I
wanted to see what anyone thought I could do in the meantime to make
her more comfortable. Thanks!

Old June 25th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 25 Jun, 15:09, "
wrote:
[...]

she si probably missing her mum and her littermates and is generally
rather stressed and a bit scared by asll the new styuff around her.
let her come out from under the bed in her own time, just make sure
she has plenty of fresh food and water availabl under there for
herself in the meatime, she will come out eventually. I dontl thin
kshe is in heat, not that young, she is just missing her mum and
siblings terribly, as any young animals who has just been taken from
her family would be (wouldn't you?).

shame you could not get 2 kittens from the same litter together? would
this be possible? are there any more kittens left? getting 2 together
from the same litter means they keep each company give each other
comfort when they are in a new place and will play together too
(kittens left on their own can get bored without any playmates). see
fi you can get one of her brother or sisters too, that may be a help..

dontl worry about her staying under the bed, she is scared, our last
new arrival, terri 7-year old tortie, spend about 3 days squashed
under the kitchen sink units and we had to slide plates of food and
stuff under their for her. gods knows how she got in there but she
felt safe there for a while and only came out at night to use the tray
and check out her surroundings. It si about 4 months now since she
came here and she has chilled out immensely and has her own favourite
sofa spot, windowsill, cushion, and bed, althouhg she still runs under
the tv whenever anyone knocks onthe frontdoor. she wil never be a
lapcat beacsue of the way she was treated before but thats cool, as
long as she is healthy and relatively happy.

when i was a kid we got a 1 year old cat who had been kicked about the
previous owner and she was PETRIFIED of everything. spent abot 2 weeks
lying under my bed crying, again with plates of food and bowls of
water pushed under there for her. she eventually came round and was
such a cutie for the next 19 years.

in the meantime you can be stockpiling lots of lovely toys for wwhen
she does pluck up the courage to come out of her own choice, ping pong
balls, ribbons, things on sticks, dangly things, cardboards boxes to
investigate and jump into and out of, toilet roll inners to hide tasty
treats in. keepign her amused and playign will help her to forget her
siblings and enjoy her new home, but please dont; force her to come
out too soon.

poor little lamb, any photos?
bookie

Old June 25th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Hey thanks for the response!
I think you're right. She actually only seems to cry a lot when she's
left alone in the room. I think she's had people and other kittens
around her since her birth so being alone is very new to her. She only
eats when someone's in the room too. I wanted to show this video that
I took this morning of her eating. mind the poor quality (requires
QuickTime), but listen to the noise she makes when she eats! it's
adorable!

Old June 25th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 25, 2:40 pm, "
wrote:
Hey thanks for the response!
I think you're right. She actually only seems to cry a lot when she's
left alone in the room. I think she's had people and other kittens
around her since her birth so being alone is very new to her. She only
eats when someone's in the room too. I wanted to show this video that
I took this morning of her eating. mind the poor quality (requires
QuickTime), but listen to the noise she makes when she eats! it's
adorable!

oops, forgot to include the link!
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/phot...=1182796156567

Old June 25th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 25 Jun, 19:43, "
wrote:
On Jun 25, 2:40 pm, "

wrote:
Hey thanks for the response!
I think you're right. She actually only seems to cry a lot when she's
left alone in the room. I think she's had people and other kittens
around her since her birth so being alone is very new to her. She only
eats when someone's in the room too. I wanted to show this video that
I took this morning of her eating. mind the poor quality (requires
QuickTime), but listen to the noise she makes when she eats! it's
adorable!

oops, forgot to include the link!http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/phot...ad02355cde.3gp...

are you sure she is a scottish fold? her ears seem to be fairly
upright and pointy and not particularly folded over at all

Old June 26th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 25, 6:55 pm, bookie wrote:
On 25 Jun, 19:43, "

wrote:
On Jun 25, 2:40 pm, "

wrote:
Hey thanks for the response!
I think you're right. She actually only seems to cry a lot when she's
left alone in the room. I think she's had people and other kittens
around her since her birth so being alone is very new to her. She only
eats when someone's in the room too. I wanted to show this video that
I took this morning of her eating. mind the poor quality (requires
QuickTime), but listen to the noise she makes when she eats! it's
adorable!

oops, forgot to include the link!http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/phot...ad02355cde.3gp...

are you sure she is a scottish fold? her ears seem to be fairly
upright and pointy and not particularly folded over at all

She's definitely a fold, but you can't breed two folded ears together
due to health defects; so some of them end up coming out pointed,
others straigfht. The pointed ones are...more affordable. Still has
the same adorable face, though.

Old June 26th 07, 06:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:29:31 +0000, wrote:

On Jun 25, 6:55 pm, bookie wrote:
On 25 Jun, 19:43, "

wrote:
On Jun 25, 2:40 pm, "

wrote:
Hey thanks for the response!
I think you're right. She actually only seems to cry a lot when
she's left alone in the room. I think she's had people and other
kittens around her since her birth so being alone is very new to
her. She only eats when someone's in the room too. I wanted to show
this video that I took this morning of her eating. mind the poor
quality (requires QuickTime), but listen to the noise she makes
when she eats! it's adorable!

oops, forgot to include the
link!
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo22/90/
f1/05ad02355cde.3gp...

are you sure she is a scottish fold? her ears seem to be fairly upright
and pointy and not particularly folded over at all

She's definitely a fold, but you can't breed two folded ears together
due to health defects; so some of them end up coming out pointed, others
straigfht. The pointed ones are...more affordable. Still has the same
adorable face, though.

Interesting. It's none of my business, but I'm curious why you bought
this particular type of cat rather than getting a free cat at a shelter.

Charlie
Old June 26th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 25 Jun, 19:43, "
wrote:
On Jun 25, 2:40 pm, "

wrote:
Hey thanks for the response!
I think you're right. She actually only seems to cry a lot when she's
left alone in the room. I think she's had people and other kittens
around her since her birth so being alone is very new to her. She only
eats when someone's in the room too. I wanted to show this video that
I took this morning of her eating. mind the poor quality (requires
QuickTime), but listen to the noise she makes when she eats! it's
adorable!

oops, forgot to include the link!http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/phot...ad02355cde.3gp...

The noise she is making is usually associated with an experience of
having to fight for her food. A *lot* of the kittens that we foster
make a similar noise to the one that your Kitty displays. Perhaps it
is possible that she is the runt of the litter and had to fight for
her food, or that someone has teased her in the past by taking her
food away from her??

Same as Bookie, I wouldn't be too concerned about her not wanting to
come out just yet. I have also had a Ragdoll adult who displayed the
same behavior when we first got him. It took a couple of weeks for him
to decide that we could be trusted. All he ever came out for was to
use the cat litter in the same room as him, & eat and drink too.

The very fact that she trust you enough to come out & eat in your
presence, is enough for the first couple of weeks. However, if it
continues for more than 3weeks or so, it might be worth taking her to
see a vet who might be able to give you advice regarding this matter.
Remember, she is only a small baby & this is the first time that she
has ever left home and is probably lonely and frightened.

I have a feeling that the best solution to this problem, might be to
get another kitten from a rescue centre perhaps if this is
possible? )

It would solve her loneliness and you would be giving a kitty/ cat the
one thing they don't have @ a shelter, which is a Future.
Unfortunately, so many are killed every where & all they require is
love, injections and feeding, & they will repay you a thousand
fold....
( And this advice is coming from an ex breeder of Birmans and Ragdolls
by the way!!)

She looks lovely by the way. I hope that she brings you love and Joy,
& It would be really nice if you kept in touch with us to let us know
how she is doing please?
Many thanx,
Sheelagh

Old June 26th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 26, 8:20 am, sheelagh wrote:
On 25 Jun, 19:43, "

wrote:
On Jun 25, 2:40 pm, "

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the kind response
Oh that's good to hear about the eating thing, i had a feeling it was
something like that.

Well we actually have another kitten (8 week old male, Beowulf), and
we introduced them yesterday. I honestly can't tell if they're play
fighting or not some of the time. They don't seem to hate each other,
but they don't exactly get close. Even knowing she has a mate she can
hang out with, she's still crying under the bed for attention. Though
Beowulf is a very feisty guy; he loves to wrestle. I can't say she
hates it because she starts the quarrels some of the time! No claws
and no hard biting as far as I can tell.
I've noticed in the past few days that she is just VERY used to having
something or someone nearby at all times. So now that I'm not talking
to her as i write this, she's crying away under the bed again. I
really hope that goes away over time.
She has been eating, wet and dry food. Using the bathroom regularly,
etc. So everything seems good in that respect.

again, thanks for the reply. I have a vet appointment for today to
have her checked out.

Old June 26th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 26 Jun, 06:54, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:29:31 +0000, wrote:
On Jun 25, 6:55 pm, bookie wrote:
On 25 Jun, 19:43, "

wrote:
On Jun 25, 2:40 pm, "

wrote:
[...]

Charlie- Hide quoted text -

Do shelters allow you to pick a kitten for free in the states
Charlie?

The reason I ask you this, is because to adopt a cat/ kitty over here,
even from a rescue centre, they still charge around £50-60 ($100-120)!
Mind you, that is with injections and spayed too if old enough. To
meet these costs, I think they have to charge, & 99'999% of people
would gladly pay it, to have a ready taken care of kitty or cat...

Having said that, there are lots of kittens in the classifieds going
for free, from private families who simply want to home their litters
of kittens because they never bothered getting their cat spayed. I'm,
sure this must be possible in the states too?

Sheelagh