My cat won't stop begging for food

Old July 12th 12, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default My cat won't stop begging for food

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

If he's your only cat, and an indoor cat, then don't feed him for a
day or two until he's really hungry, and then just geve him a little
bit so he will eat it all before you give him any more. In my case, I
have one who weighs about 30 lbs, and stuffs himself to the point of
throwing up. but I keep putside cats and I have five of them, so they
all share an infinite supply of kibbles plus they eat each others
food when its first eater walks away from it. so I don't know how to
keep "Biggie" from eating.

A 30 lb. cat! That's a big cat!

Yes. Well, to be fair, he is much heavier boned than my other cats, so I
think he is a different breed. I would say that his ideal weight is around
20 pounds, so he is like 50% overweight. My other cats weigh between 6 and
10 pounds. He is big, but a very gentile cat and doesn't throw his weight
around with the other cats......

Old July 13th 12, 06:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FragSinatra

"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

If he's your only cat, and an indoor cat, then don't feed him for a
day or two until he's really hungry, and then just geve him a little
bit so he will eat it all before you give him any more. In my case,
I have one who weighs about 30 lbs, and stuffs himself to the point
of throwing up. but I keep putside cats and I have five of them, so
they all share an infinite supply of kibbles plus they eat each
others food when its first eater walks away from it. so I don't know
how to keep "Biggie" from eating.

A 30 lb. cat! That's a big cat!

Yes. Well, to be fair, he is much heavier boned than my other cats, so
I think he is a different breed. I would say that his ideal weight is
around 20 pounds, so he is like 50% overweight. My other cats weigh
between 6 and 10 pounds. He is big, but a very gentile cat and doesn't
throw his weight around with the other cats......

It's a good thing he's a gentile cat. I wouldn't want to see him mad
and I definitely wouldn't want to be the one to try to give him
medicine, put him in a cat cage or give him a bath.

I'm guessing such a big cat isn't very lithe is he?

Old July 13th 12, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"Dom" wrote in message
If I give him more, he repeats the pattern. He leaves all the
food in the bowl, but still wants more.

This sounds like it can be boredom. The begging gives him something to do
and it gets your attention.

Old July 13th 12, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

If he's your only cat, and an indoor cat, then don't feed him for a day or
two until he's really hungry, and then just geve him a little bit so he
will eat it all before you give him any more. In my case, I have one who
weighs about 30 lbs, and stuffs himself to the point of throwing up......

This is an extremely obese cat on his way to some disease or other and a
shorter lifespan. Even an adult Maine Coon shouldn't weigh this much.
Kibble is loaded with fattening carbohydrates cats should not have. Why not
switch them to something healthier like canned cat food? Two excellent
sites:

http://www.catnutrition.org/
http://www.catinfo.org/

but I keep
putside cats and I have five of them, so they all share an infinite supply
of kibbles plus they eat each others food when its first eater walks away
from it. so I don't know how to keep "Biggie" from eating.

Try getting rid of the kibble and feed them canned food. It's not that
expensive.

Old July 13th 12, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"FragSinatra" wrote in message
. ..
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

[...]

He is pretty normal for his age (about 10) Since my B-K died, all of my cats
are pretty old. I got, "Tiger" from a friend who is going RV'ing for the
next couple of years and needed a place to put his cat. He makes a big
"thump" when he jumps off a table onto our hardwood floors, so I leave
padded rug remnants around for him and the other cats to use.....

Old July 13th 12, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"Dom" wrote in message
If I give him more, he repeats the pattern. He leaves all the
food in the bowl, but still wants more.

This sounds like it can be boredom. The begging gives him something to do
and it gets your attention.

Yes. Try brushing him, or playing with him.... Anything but feeding him.

Old July 13th 12, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

[...]

That's true.. It's not the cost, but it is very convenient. The kibbles
don't go bad after a few hours like the wet food does. Also, a couple of my
cats won't eat anything else but kibbles. They come from all different
backgrounds. One was feral, and he eats people garbage when ever he can get
it. (they all tend to eat what they were raised on, I think) Now we are
feeding a new cat who showed up at our door about a month ago. He was skinny
as a rail and ate two cans of cat food before leaving. I think he belongs
down the block somewhere, and my guess is that his owners leave his food
down where their dog can get at it, and so the cat was starving to death.
Now he is filled out, but he still shows up every day a couple of times just
to eat. He really likes canned food.....

Old August 6th 12, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Canned food doesn't have to be expensive. The amount recommended on the can is quite a bit higher than what cats actually need, according to educated veterinary professionals like Dr. Pierson on her non-commercial site Catinfo.org.

If you continue to feed kibble, it will likely lead to diabetes and urinary blockages. We rescued a diabetic cat to prevent him from being killed, and believe me, you want to PREVENT these problems as it's MUCH easier and less expensive than veterinary treatment. (YOU need to learn about this stuff so you can advocate for your cat as vets are generally NOT educated about feline nutrition. Both Dr. Pierson and my cat vet agree with that fact.)

Canned food does NOT go bad in a few hours! Most people leave the food down for 12 hours, but when feeding a reduced amount the cats usually eat it all within 30 minutes.

Kibble will lead to higher vet bills, so it will NOT save you money in the long run. Even with expensive kibble, it's like you are paying for steak but really ending up with high-carb meatloaf.

Old August 6th 12, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

It's important to get your cat tested, but I STRONGLY recommend reviewing the lab work with someone who can interpret the results and help you decide how to treat and feed your cat. I found a super awesome vet tech with decades of experience who is offering that service and will even speak with your vet if you like. She can help diabetic cats get off insulin and help people get their fat cats to lose weight safely WITHOUT using expensive prescription diets. See www.MeganTheCatLady.com - Megan is AWESOME and provides great info links there too.
Old August 7th 12, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL[_2_]

"Dom" wrote in message

It's all in the subject title. To give you a feel for things, my cat
will beg (cry, poke at me, search the trash for food) as soon as I get
home. I give him a 3oz can of gravy-lovers food, and a bowl of hard
food, and he licks up all the gravy in the first and takes a nibble
from the second, then comes back and cries, pokes and searches,
again. If I give him more, he repeats the pattern. He leaves all the
food in the bowl, but still wants more.

He is now up to 14 lbs, and I refuse to give him more until his late
night feeding, but this goes on all day AND NIGHT. He wakes me at
least 3 times a night. I can't see why he wants more food when he
leaves so much behind.

What do I do? I'm really frantic about this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Has she been checked by a vet? If not, that is the first thing you should
do. In particular, I would want evaluation for possible thyroid problem or
diabetes and possibly even pancreas. If everything checks out normal, stop
feeding her when she cries (as difficult as that may be). Instead, put her
on a schedule of feeding twice a day, 12 hours apart or as close to that as
possible. Stop feeding dry food and move to *quality* canned food (not food
with gravy where she will lick the gravy but leave everything else). I use
Wellness canned food. Be sure to use *grains free* canned food. Cats are
obligate carnivores and cannot digest plant material.

MaryL