cats meet - confusing

Old February 16th 05, 01:22 AM
Justin L

Default cats meet - confusing

Hi

I let the cats out for a supervised meeting today, and I was a little
confused as to what happened. They have been separated for almost 2
weeks now. I have been switching them around a few times a day, and
letting them see each other for short sessions. They are eating with
their dishes touching the gate with no problems as well. I also have a
Feliway diffuser I plugged in yesterday to help things out.
The meeting started by Elwood, the 5 month old kitten, charging at Jake,
who is the older, and bigger new cat. They patted each other a few
times, and it looked like they were going to start playing. Elwood then
tried grabbing Jake and giving him a big ol' hug.
Then it seemed to me like Jake started to get nervous and more serious,
and started biting at Elwood's neck. He got Elwood down on his back, but
he didn't quit biting his neck. This is where I got worried, and broke
them up. It was very difficult for me to tell if they were playing or
fighting for real. I didn't want Jake to hurt Elwood.

I am wondering if this is normal? Did I mess things up by breaking them
up? Should I have let them go at it? They weren't hissing or growling
that I noticed if that helps.

It seems to me like Elwood makes Jake very nervous, which is strange
because he seemed to have the upper hand. Can anyone explain this?

Thanks!

Justin
Old February 16th 05, 01:32 AM
Mary

"Justin L" wrote in message
m...
[...]

The neck-biting thing is classic dominance behavior. Jake was just
letting Elwood know who is boss. In the cat world, someone has
to be the boss. They need that. Since there was no hissing or growling,
I think there was probably no danger. The aggressive cats I have seen
have been very vocal, giving lots of warning before they try to do real
damage.

It seems to me like Elwood makes Jake very nervous, which is strange
because he seemed to have the upper hand. Can anyone explain this?

Jake is very nervous because you brought him into Elwood's
territory: Elwood was in the house first, his scent was there when
Jake got there. If Jake had been first, Elwood would be nervous.
It's okay--you are doing everything right. You're a good papa!

Old February 16th 05, 05:53 AM
Justin L

Mary wrote:
"Justin L" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I let them go at it a while longer and watch them very closely,
and I must say there were some interesting battles. Elwood Charging
Jake, Jake charging Elwood. Elwood on his back, then Jake on his back. I
must say, Elwood has surprised me in that he is sticking up for himself
quite well.

At this point, they are taking a food break, and I would have to say
they are at a draw. Hopefully they tire each other out enough so that I
get a decent nights sleep tonight.

Justin
Old February 16th 05, 05:55 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Justin L at
wrote on 2/15/05 10:53 PM:

Mary wrote:
"Justin L" wrote in message
[...]

Rofl!! It sounds like it. Actually, if all this is going on with no noise,
I'd say they are doing really well and quite interested in each other.

Old February 16th 05, 05:55 AM
Mary

"Justin L" wrote:

Jake is very nervous because you brought him into Elwood's
territory: Elwood was in the house first, his scent was there when
Jake got there. If Jake had been first, Elwood would be nervous.
It's okay--you are doing everything right. You're a good papa!

Well, I let them go at it a while longer and watch them very closely,
and I must say there were some interesting battles. Elwood Charging
Jake, Jake charging Elwood. Elwood on his back, then Jake on his back. I
must say, Elwood has surprised me in that he is sticking up for himself
quite well.

God, I bet this is cute!! Got a video cam??

At this point, they are taking a food break, and I would have to say
they are at a draw. Hopefully they tire each other out enough so that I
get a decent nights sleep tonight.

Justin it really sounds to me like you have been successful at
introducing them. Good for you!!

Old February 16th 05, 02:29 PM
Phil P.

"Justin L" wrote in message
m...
Mary wrote:
"Justin L" wrote in message
[...]

Just be sure that neither cat feels punished (separated) if and when you
feel you need to break them up. This could make the 'punished' cat
associate 'punishment' with the other cat which might lead to provocation on
sight.

Sounds like "this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship, Louie"!
LOL!

Best of luck.

Phil

Old February 17th 05, 06:24 AM
Justin L

Karen Chuplis wrote:
in article , Justin L at
wrote on 2/15/05 10:53 PM:

Mary wrote:

"Justin L" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

Well, they are interested in each other, that is for sure. I am just not
sure if it is a good interested or bad after tonight.

Jake seemed to be getting really serious with the battles, to the point
I could see Elwood was getting scared, and I figured I should break it up.

What should I do now? It seems as if neither one wants to back down and
let the other be boss, but that is just my guess.

Justin

Old February 17th 05, 06:26 AM
Justin L

Mary wrote:
"Justin L" wrote:

Jake is very nervous because you brought him into Elwood's
territory: Elwood was in the house first, his scent was there when
Jake got there. If Jake had been first, Elwood would be nervous.
It's okay--you are doing everything right. You're a good papa!

Well, I let them go at it a while longer and watch them very closely,
and I must say there were some interesting battles. Elwood Charging
Jake, Jake charging Elwood. Elwood on his back, then Jake on his back. I
must say, Elwood has surprised me in that he is sticking up for himself
quite well.

God, I bet this is cute!! Got a video cam??

Heh, it was pretty entertaining at times, but no video cam

At this point, they are taking a food break, and I would have to say
they are at a draw. Hopefully they tire each other out enough so that I
get a decent nights sleep tonight.

Justin it really sounds to me like you have been successful at
introducing them. Good for you!!

I am not sure, they seemed to be getting serious tonight.
I may have to leave them separated for a while longer

Justin
Old February 17th 05, 06:27 AM
Mary

"Justin L" wrote introducing them. Good for
you!!

I am not sure, they seemed to be getting serious tonight.
I may have to leave them separated for a while longer

Your instincts so far have been good. To give them a
"time out" when they get too serious is a great idea. It
may be that they enjoy playing so much that they will
eventually get the idea and behave themselves.

Old February 17th 05, 06:29 AM
Justin L

Phil P. wrote:
snip

Just be sure that neither cat feels punished (separated) if and when you
feel you need to break them up. This could make the 'punished' cat
associate 'punishment' with the other cat which might lead to provocation on
sight.

I am not really sure what you mean to do here. I had to break them up a
few times. I covered them up with a blanket, and stuck one in the room
to let them cool down. Would that be punishing?

Sounds like "this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship, Louie"!
LOL!

Best of luck.

I am hoping so, thanks!

Justin