The Picky Roadcat

Old May 18th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
D Mahoney

Default The Picky Roadcat

We have developed a breakfast routine in our house. The only two players
with unchanging parts are Harri and me. When breakfast time rolls around
I head for the kitchen. When she sees me headed that way Harri dashes in
ahead of me. I pick up the metal bowls and drop them in the sink, pick
up Harri and put her on the counter with appropriate sound effects
("Magical flying kitty, zoom-zoom", etc), then wash and dry the dishes.
I then split two cans of soft food between 4 bowls, give Harri hers on
the counter, but Sam's in a cardboard tray (he's a messy eater), and put
the others on a boot tray on the floor.

I hadn't realized just how much Harri relied on the little details of
our routine. One day last week I was a bit rushed, so I skipped the
sound effects when I picked up Harri. I proceeded with the rest of the
routine, but moments after I put Harri on the counter she jumped down.
She then stood in front of me (her usual signal that she wants to be
picked up), put her front paws on my leg (her signal that she wants to
be picked up NOW!), and extended her claws. The latter I interpreted as
her saying "Come on, human, you know how it's supposed to be done. Do it
again, and do it right this time!". I picked her up again, this time
with the sound effects, and the rest of the breakfast routine went just
fine.

Just to be sure I wasn't misinterpreting Harri's message I tried the
routine again a couple of days ago without the sound effects. Again she
jumped down, clawed my leg, and waited for me to do it the right way.

I'm not sure why the sound effects matter, but apparently they do.
Old May 18th 09, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
LadyJane

On May 18, 9:14*am, D Mahoney wrote:

Just to be sure I wasn't misinterpreting Harri's message I tried the
routine again a couple of days ago without the sound effects. Again she
jumped down, clawed my leg, and waited for me to do it the right way.

I'm not sure why the sound effects matter, but apparently they do.

Cats really are creatures of habit, aren't they? Harri's so cute.

Jane
- owned and operated by the equally adorable Princess Rita

Old May 18th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
James[_5_]

"D Mahoney" wrote in message
We have developed a breakfast routine in our house. The only two players
with unchanging parts are Harri and me. When breakfast time rolls around
I head for the kitchen. When she sees me headed that way Harri dashes in
ahead of me. I pick up the metal bowls and drop them in the sink, pick
up Harri and put her on the counter with appropriate sound effects
("Magical flying kitty, zoom-zoom", etc), then wash and dry the dishes.
I then split two cans of soft food between 4 bowls, give Harri hers on
the counter, but Sam's in a cardboard tray (he's a messy eater), and put
the others on a boot tray on the floor.

My 4 are similar. Rambo gets picked up and put on the counter near the food,
Opie jumps on the island and waits, Felix and Oska head for the laundry room
and sit and wait in front of their place mats. Oska talks continously until
he gets his food.

Old May 18th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"D Mahoney" wrote in message
[...]

You have a role to play in that little girls life. You may not know
exactly what it is, but she certainly does. You seldom see a cat so
protective of her human. Bet she knows you would be sad all morning
without the bit of zoom zoom flying kitty. Besides, she knows
perfecftly she isn't 'just one of the cats' and has to maintain her
position.

Jo

Old May 18th 09, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

D Mahoney wrote:

[...]

That's the most adorable story! My cats all have routines, too, but I
don't think they'd notice if I failed to do, say, the special Licky Song
with the Special Licky Dance, prior to feeding him. (Granted, I don't
perform this number at any particular time, so I doubt he associates it
with anything other than the human's lunacy.)

Harri is apparently an intellectually gifted kitty!

--
Joyce ^..^

Picky eater Dom Cat health & behaviour 8 August 24th 07 01:44 PM
Please help: very picky eater! AlexZ Cat health & behaviour 4 February 15th 06 01:42 AM
All picky eaters Cathy Friedmann Cat health & behaviour 0 November 21st 04 05:13 PM
Picky eater Paul O. Cat health & behaviour 12 July 22nd 04 02:53 AM
Picky Eaters .oO rach Oo. Cat health & behaviour 74 June 29th 04 02:22 AM