Kitty skin breakout

Old June 18th 04, 08:57 PM
jamie

When I first adopted one of mine, he had a "rash" that looked a
little bit like blackheads, above the eyes and below the ears, and
it turned out to flea eggs. Have you checked his belly for fleas?
(because they're usually easier to see there in the thinner fur)

As to other recommendations of benzoyl peroxide for feline acne,
there's a BIG difference between applying that to the chin, and
applying that near the eyes. Do NOT use benzoyl peroxide near
his eyes. (Meanwhile benzoyl peroxide is much more irritating than
ordinary medical hydrogen peroxide. The only reason it's used in acne
ointments is that hydrogen peroxide isn't stable in ointments. But
it shouldn't be used near the eyes, either.)

The location affected doesn't sound like feline acne, to me, because
that typically occurs on the chin (food oils bind to plastic dishes
like grease on Tupperware), and is not something you can just pick
off the cat.

If it does turn out to be fleas, get him some Advantage from a vet.
It really works, quickly, and doesn't harm the cat. You don't
even have to bring the cat in, just ask at the front counter for
some Advantage.

Do not use flea collars and flea powders on him, all they seem to do
is make the cat ill, and they do a poor job of killing fleas. Also,
supermarket flea drops by Hartz (even though it looks like imitation
Advantage) has harmed and killed cats, because it contains a chemical
pesticide that has long been banned for lawns and other uses because
of its toxicity.

Singer709 wrote:
My big orange buddy RJ has a small group of "zits" on his forehead,
just beneath his ears and above his eyes. They are like a small rash.
He's not scratching them at all (other than his normal grooming), and
he's otherwise in perfect health. His eyes and ears are all fine, too.

I can pick them off like little dandruff scabs, and if I scratch them
he's not in any pain or discomfort.

I am very short on funds and want to avoid the vet unless absolutely
needed. Should I use some small amount of skin lotion to soothe this
surface breakout?

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."