Two boys went out today!

Old June 15th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Two boys went out today!

I bought a tiny adjustable harness today and walked two of the boys, Tommy
first, then Eli.

Tommy was very frightened out there! The only time he relaxed a bit was when
I put him on top of a big barrel and brushed him. Tons of fur came out. At
one point when we were walking in the grass, Tommy almost stepped on a small
rabbit, and it hopped away but Tommy didn't even pay attention to it.

Eli on the other hand seemed to be comfortable almost as soon as I put him
down in the grass. He walked easily on the leash, just like a trained d*g. I
think he was more at ease because he was born and lived his first 4-5 months
here in town before I adopted him.

Next walkies will be with Lily and Beatrice. I think Baby Eyes will also
enjoy a visit to the Out. Billy seems to be the most apprehensive.

Old June 15th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in
:

Eli on the other hand seemed to be comfortable almost as soon as I put
him down in the grass. He walked easily on the leash, just like a
trained d*g. I think he was more at ease because he was born and lived
his first 4-5 months here in town before I adopted him.

Doc wants to go out, and like Eli, was on his own the first few months of
his life. But he refuses to go out on a harness. I think it embarrasses
him. He'd shoot out the door without it, but with it on, he just pulls
to go back in.

"Geeze, mom, do ya hafta do stuff like that in fronta everybody? My life
is over."

Chak

--
Uncoerced, unbribed and unbought, humanity will move toward the light.
--Alice Hubbard
Old June 15th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Chakolate" wrote

Doc wants to go out, and like Eli, was on his own the first few months of
his life. But he refuses to go out on a harness. I think it embarrasses
him. He'd shoot out the door without it, but with it on, he just pulls
to go back in.

It might just be that he's not used to the arrangement. Have you let him
wear the harness inside, without the leash, until he gets used to wearing
it? If not, try it. Once he is used to wearing it, attach the leash and see
if he'll let you lead him around indoors, in preparation for taking him out.

I think Eli tolerates it because he knows it's the only way he's getting out
for now.

Old June 15th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Ooops. Forgot to mention that Eli ate grass outside and then horked up a
hairball back in the house. First hairball I've seen come out of him. I
think it's from all the grooming he's been doing on Baby Eyes and the
others. He never used to groom the other cats and his own hair is generally
too short to form into balls.

Old June 15th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in
:

It might just be that he's not used to the arrangement. Have you let
him wear the harness inside, without the leash, until he gets used to
wearing it? If not, try it. Once he is used to wearing it, attach the
leash and see if he'll let you lead him around indoors, in preparation
for taking him out.

Yes, we tried all the steps, and he tolerated it indoors, mostly because
he couldn't get it off.

I think Eli tolerates it because he knows it's the only way he's
getting out for now.

I figured that Doc would feel the same way - that once he knew the
harness and leash meant "Outdoors!" he'd not mind. Wrong.

Chak

--
Man is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the True
Religion--several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor
Old June 15th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Chakolate" wrote

"Pat" wrote

I think Eli tolerates it because he knows it's the only way he's
getting out for now.

I figured that Doc would feel the same way - that once he knew the
harness and leash meant "Outdoors!" he'd not mind. Wrong.

How sad for Doc

Eli seems to think that since he went out on a leash, he ought to be able to
go out without one.

What I would give to be able to somehow program the cats' minds that staying
off the road is essential!

Old June 15th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in
:

What I would give to be able to somehow program the cats' minds that
staying off the road is essential!

I'm on a dead-end street off of a one-way street, so I don't worry about
traffice *too* much. And if it the only fauna likely to get at Doc were
the fleas and ticks and earmites, I might let him go out. But I've seen
a coyote in the alley, and there are lots of dogs in the neighborhood,
and you just never know about preteen boys sometimes.

Sigh. I wish I could make the world safe enough for Doc to go where he
would.

The good news is that he only seems to think about it for five minutes in
the morning, the rest of the day he naps and cuddles. :-)

Chak

--
Man is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the True
Religion--several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor
as himself and cuts his throat, if his theology isn't straight. He has
made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his
brother's path to happiness and heaven.
--Mark Twain

it's very cosmetic today, I'll fill sneakily or Josef will irritate the bandages [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 0 September 16th 05 06:20 PM
it's very humble today, I'll measure monthly or Gavin will judge the lentils P. E. Harris-McAlister Cat anecdotes 0 September 11th 05 02:36 PM
OT - got a new camera today Magic Mood Jeep© Cat anecdotes 10 August 8th 05 04:04 AM
Vet Appt Today CatNipped Cat anecdotes 7 June 24th 05 07:14 PM
Today gracecat Cat anecdotes 52 October 13th 04 02:01 PM