'Tis the season

Old July 1st 09, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

Default 'Tis the season

The Kitty is nestled all snug on my bed,
While visions of sugar peas dance in her head.

Heidi is recuperating from a tiring day. Today was the first large
picking of garden peas. For a kitty that doesn't really approve of
exercise, it's quite a departure from her usual habits.

She's an old hand at the pea wars by now. She knows what's happening as
soon as the first bucket comes in from the garden (or even before, it
sometimes seems -- though I can't imagine how she could). While we are
getting set up for shelling, she's under everyone's feet, as loudly
importunate as she usually would be only at meal time.

She knows that peas are seldom model prisoners -- that they often try to
escape -- and she considers herself just the posse-cat to run down the
truants (and eat them). We sit around the kitchen table to work, so she
positions herself strategically underneath, ready to dart in any
direction, knowing that soon it has to happen -- a careless move, a
hasty or over-exuberant thumb...and plop, plip, skitter -- there it is!
Quicker than the owner of the errant hand can utter the time-honored
"Oops! I just P'd on the floor!" she has her first kill.

After that, it can get pretty hectic. Depending on how many people are
at work and how unwieldy the current batch of pods are, she will
sometimes have barely enough time to subdue one pea and get it
adequately munched before she has to be off after the next. And she
doesn't quit until the job is done.

I've sometimes worried that two or three dozen raw peas will give her a
belly ache (I could sure do that to myself when I was a shaver), but
I've never seen any sign of it. She's always ready for her next meal,
and she sleeps the sleep of the just -- and the exhausted.
--

Wayne M.
Old July 1st 09, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Wayne Mitchell wrote:

I've sometimes worried that two or three dozen raw peas will give her a
belly ache (I could sure do that to myself when I was a shaver), but
I've never seen any sign of it. She's always ready for her next meal,
and she sleeps the sleep of the just -- and the exhausted.

Caliban eats the pods.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old July 1st 09, 07:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Wayne Mitchell" wrote in message

[...]

Heidi is a good helper. There were a lot of times I'd wish for some one
like her to help clean up miscreant peas when I was a kid and had to shell
enough to make 50-70 quarts of canned peas.

Pam S. remembering how her fingers would be green tinted and numb for days
during pea and bean seasons.

Old July 1st 09, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"tanadashoes" wrote in message

"Marina" wrote in message
Wayne Mitchell wrote:

I've sometimes worried that two or three dozen raw peas will give her a
belly ache (I could sure do that to myself when I was a shaver), but
I've never seen any sign of it. She's always ready for her next meal,
and she sleeps the sleep of the just -- and the exhausted.

Caliban eats the pods.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

He would.

Pam S.

Mmmm! Extra fiber!

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Tis the season. . . tanadashoes Cat anecdotes 3 August 9th 08 12:37 AM
'Tis the Season [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 2 November 21st 05 03:13 PM
'Tis the Season Joe Canuck Cat health & behaviour 0 November 20th 05 02:06 PM
end of season Argo Cat anecdotes 3 September 13th 05 05:51 PM
end of season Cwaazee Caatt Cat health & behaviour 0 September 13th 05 05:51 PM