Smudgie is Lost!

Old July 5th 10, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Default Smudgie is Lost! - Trap Set

wrote:
MLB wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message
Kind of makes yhou ?wonder if they were lost too.

They will not have been lost, Marie, almost all UK cats are allowed out all
the time.
We have a totally different country. No bears, no cougars, no crocodiles,
one venomous snake that I've never seen and could not hurt a cat anyway.
Tweed

From what I have read, Smudgie seems to be lost -- at least her meowmie
thinks so. Smudgie may feel like she is just on an earned vacation .
LOL. Yes, there is a lot of wild country in Utah, but Salt Lake is a
very modern metropolitan city with well over oner million population. I
would venture a guess that the worst predator here is "man". MLB

I think the issue is that you seemed to imply that maybe the other
cats in Sharon's back yard were lost kitties, too. Maybe you didn't mean
to imply that, but that seems to be what Tweed thought, so she explained
that in the UK, it's most common for people to let their cats go outside.
So the other cats wandering around may not be lost cats at all, but just
cats out and about on cat business, and passing through Sharon's yard.
And who hopefully will not be trapped in the cage that's meant for Smudgie!

Joyce

I was "wondering" not implying. How can you tell if you see a wandering
kitty whether it is lost or just on a stroll in the neighborhood?.
Perhaps those who have seen Smudgie just thought it was strolling?
Unless there are strict laws covering this subject, you couldn't even
guess.
a NUMBER OF YEARS AGO, WE HAD SEVERAL INCIDENTS WHERE MUTILATED CATS
WERE FOUND. at FIRST IT WAS ATTRIBUTED TO HUMAN PREDATORS, BUT LATER A
FOX DEN WAS FOUND NEARBY Sorry about the caps, I hit the wrong key. MLB

Old July 6th 10, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
They will not have been lost, Marie, almost all UK cats are allowed out
all
the time.
We have a totally different country. No bears, no cougars, no crocodiles,
one venomous snake that I've never seen and could not hurt a cat anyway.

I've personally never heard of a cat being injured or consumed by any
of those things.

Actually on Animal Planet's "Animal Cops - Miami" there was a cat who was
eaten by an anaconda (itself not native to Florida, but just a pet that some
yahoo let get loose. When they found the snake it still had the huge bulge
of the cat in its stomach. Same show, different day another cat was eaten
by an aligator.

Cougars are notorious for eating pets that roam outside - usually in a rural
habitat, but as man keeps spreading they are forcing animals to move, often
to the outskirts of towns and cities. Once there they learn that the living
is pretty easy... trash cans don't have to be chased down, pets who are
unfamiliar with this sort of predator are also easy meals.

Once I took Bandit(RB) into my back yard for a little supervised outdoor
time. After we had been there about 19 minutes when I happened to look up
and saw 3 hawks circulating. overhead.

I try not to be too paranoid, but the dangers are read, and I just couldn't
allow my babies to *any* danger no matter how "unlikely"

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old July 6th 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 16:33:09 +0100, "Sharon & Smudgie"
wrote:

Loneliness is comforted by the closeness and touch of fur to fur,
skin to skin, or -- skin to fur. -- Paul Gallico

We had 2 cats come into our garden to investigate the litter tray and
tasty treats we put down by the trap last night. We scared them away but
I'm glad it's having the desired effect. Trap was empty this morning but
it's early days.

Sharon

Hi Everyone

I just had to post because our local newspaper is going to do an article on
Smudgie! I emailed them at the weekend in the hope they may do a little
piece saying she is lost but they are doing an article with pictures and
everything! Oh I do hope this helps to find her.

Thank you all for your support, which continues to keep me so positive.

Sharon

Well, the added publicity can only help to get Smudgie back all the
sooner!

Surely, with this newspaper story, and a trap set and baited, it can't
be long before Sumdgie is back home with you.

And I do hope nobody is feeding her, because she WILL tend to stay where
there is food available

Tina is certainly right about that.

I could see where some people might be leaving out food, to 'help out'
the hungry Smudgie.

Better that she is moving about a bit, so she can find the trap, with
it's tasty treats, waiting for her

And I saw her lovely pictures, on alt.binaries.pictures.animals.

She is a lovely cat, and so very cute, as a kitten, too

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100706-0, 07/06/2010
Tested on: 7/5/2010 9:46:55 PM

Old July 6th 10, 10:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie

I was "wondering" not implying. How can you tell if you see a wandering
kitty whether it is lost or just on a stroll in the neighborhood?. Perhaps
those who have seen Smudgie just thought it was strolling? Unless there
are strict laws covering this subject, you couldn't even guess.
a NUMBER OF YEARS AGO, WE HAD SEVERAL INCIDENTS WHERE MUTILATED CATS WERE
FOUND. at FIRST IT WAS ATTRIBUTED TO HUMAN PREDATORS, BUT LATER A FOX DEN
WAS FOUND NEARBY Sorry about the caps, I hit the wrong key. MLB

On my daily walkabouts of the estate I have met a lot of the local kitties.
Most are let out to wander but they do tend to stay within the same areas
from what I have seen. Ours is a quiet estate with lots of grassy areas and
quiet closes and alleyways so relatively safe for kitties to wander and keep
away from the busier roads. All of the cats have been wearing a collar with
the exception of two so far. These two are usually in the same area each
day and so I can but assume they do belong to someone but of course I can't
know for sure. They look healthy and well fed and come over for a fuss and
a biscuit when they see me whereas I am pretty sure Smudgie wouldn't do
that, especially to strangers. There is one kitty with a collar but no
address tag who a lady at the back from me feeds. It is not her cat but she
said it's always hungry. It may belong to someone and have a medical
condition or it may be a wandering stray that hasn't lost it's collar. I
advised the lady to take it to the local shelter so it can be scanned for a
chip or I have said I will take it. I had just assumed it was her cat as
it's always near her front garden so it is hard to tell which are strays and
which are not.

There is a fox den about 200 yards from our house on the edge of the estate.
This does worry me a bit, especially after a lady who lives in the house
next to the den told me a few cats had gone missing recently! I just have to
keep positive ... although it will be a week tomorrow since Smudgie got lost
and it is harder as each day passes.

Just in case someone has enticed Smudge into their house and decided to keep
her, I have asked the local newspaper editor to include a photo of her when
we first got her as well as a recent one (I have posted them in the
alt.binaries.pictures.animals newsgroup). I figured if someone has got her
and thought I had just "left her to her own devices and serves me right"
they can see I have loved her and cared for her for the past 3 years and I
am desperate to get her back.

We trapped a cat last night, just not the right cat! Will set it again
tonight.

Maybe today .......

Sharon

Old July 6th 10, 12:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 6 July, 10:22, "Sharon & Smudgie" wrote:
[...]

Good luck Sharon.

Re the cat that nobody knows if it's a stray or not, if it's friendly
it might be worth getting a paper collar for it, to send a message to
the owner that some people are wondering if it's a stray. Your local
Cats Protection might have some.

Regards

Jeanette
Old July 6th 10, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Sharon & Smudgie wrote:
[...]

We shall keep sending purrs and prayers for Smudgie to return to her
home. Best wishes MLB
Old July 6th 10, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

On Jul 5, 7:58*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

Once I took Bandit(RB) into my back yard for a little supervised outdoor
time. *After we had been there about 19 minutes when I happened to look up
and saw 3 hawks circulating. overhead.

Hawks do not fly in circles together like that. What you saw were
buzzards, and they weren't interested in your living cat.

Old July 6th 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jul 6, 9:02*am, Pat wrote:
On Jul 5, 7:58*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

Once I took Bandit(RB) into my back yard for a little supervised outdoor
time. *After we had been there about 19 minutes when I happened to look up
and saw 3 hawks circulating. overhead.

Hawks do not fly in circles together like that. What you saw were
buzzards, and they weren't interested in your living cat.

Red-tailed and Red-shouldered hawks and their kin (the broad-winged
hawks that hunt small mammals) certainly do fly in circles, constantly
monitering the ground for signs of food. Flying in groups, or just
happening to be near one another, is very unusual but not unknown. A
cat, however, is too big for most hawks of this type. Large owls are
much more dangerous to cats.

--
Will in New Haven
Old July 6th 10, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Pat" wrote in message
On Jul 5, 7:58 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

Once I took Bandit(RB) into my back yard for a little supervised outdoor
time. After we had been there about 19 minutes when I happened to look up
and saw 3 hawks circulating. overhead.

Hawks do not fly in circles together like that. What you saw were
buzzards, and they weren't interested in your living cat.

Yes they do Pat I see it all the time here in Florida You can definitely
tell the difference between hawks and turkey vultures we also have falcons
that do that also

when you have a lot of them more inlikely they are vultures 3 or 4 can be
hawks. I have a family of golden eagles that live in the wooded land behind
me I watch them circle all the time