Food for flat nosed cat?

Old October 30th 03, 10:36 PM
~*SooZy*~

"kaeli" wrote in message
In article , darnit7
@aol.comnolitter enlightened us with...

I wonder if Persians always had this problem or if it's just from the

way
they've been bred. It must be hard for them to breath with that pushed

in
nose.

Originally, Persians did not have snub faces and looked very much like
Angoras. They were gradually bred that way over time, and the "doll-
face" still exists in some places, though is not nearly as popular as
the flat face and I'm not sure if American clubs allow it as standard.

IMO, it is much more attractive. I don't know why they would breed for
such a flat face.

Here's some pics of the doll-face variety of Persian as well as some
brief history. The last link shows that some people do still breed for
the doll-face rather than the flat-face.
http://www.thecatsite.com/cat_breeds....php?a=persian
http://www.traditionalcats.com/Breed...ianHistory.htm
http://www.rockymountainpersians.com/doll_face_persians

I have a book with lots of the old Persian photos in it,, what a beautiful
cat it WAS..... my friend has a Ragdoll x Persians which look just like
the old Persians ... NO flat faced, they are beautiful looking cats.

Old October 31st 03, 12:46 AM
Karen M.

Alison Perera wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Karen M." wrote:

I was asked about this by a woman I know who adopted a flat-nosed
Himalayan (sp?). Is there a particular kind of bowl or food that is best
for such a cat? He has a harder time eating his food. She just got the
Royal Canin for Persians, but I don't know if that is for Persians due
to their flat faces, or some kind of special dietary requirements?
Anybody?? Thanks!

Flat-faced or brachycephalic critters have a lot less mouth space in
which to fit the same number of teeth as their cohorts of normal skull
structure. The crowding leads to increased problems with plaque, tartar,
oral health in general.

So if I had an extreme Himi or Persian I'd be quite eager to get him or
her on a good dental diet. Since the only commercial "dental diets" are
kibbles, and we can generally agree that food with a high moisture
content is best for cats, I think that a diet based on meaty bones would
be MY first line of offense if I owned such a cat.

I think that Royal Canin's food is specific to the cat's long hair more
than its awkward skull structure.

-Alison in OH

Alison,

Thanks for the tips. I don't think this woman is going to be going
down the meaty bones route, but I'll pass along the info anyway. I
think the cat is actually having more trouble getting the food in his
mouth than "normal" cats. Any ideas?

Old October 31st 03, 12:52 AM
Cheryl

In ,
kaeli composed with style:
In article , darnit7
@aol.comnolitter enlightened us with...

http://www.thecatsite.com/cat_breeds....php?a=persian

It's really sinful how they've bred PKD into persians along with the
ugly face. It should be condemned. A friend of mine breeds poodles
and was looking into finding a stud for her newest standard poodle
bitch and found one she really likes. The problem is, the breeder
will only allow her stud to mate with Labs. She breeds Labradoodles.
My friend is completely against this.
http://www.bc-labradoodles.com/

http://www.traditionalcats.com/Breed...sianHistory.ht

"Beautiful Duchess" looks like a lion! The more I look, there are a
lot of old photos where they look like lions with a full mane. I love
the look of the old persians much better than the way they look now.