My Siamese Has IBD (Or So Was Told)

Old June 26th 04, 12:13 AM
Zaida

Anyway, a cat can live a long, healthy, and happy life, even while

stone
deaf.

But don't think that I'm not sympathetic to what happened to your
beloved kitty, it was a terrible mistake and I don't blame you for

being
angry.

** I know. I also got to read Teri's. And L's response.

** I'm still angry; but realistically, aside from everyone's response
here, all the (second opinion) vets I spoke with gave me very little hope of
gathering some means of correction from Ming's vet. In your case, at least
you knew right off that your kitty's problem was related to the treatment.
Ming's vet on the other hand gave me the run-around big time and treated him
for an entirely "unrelated" (her words) condition which she never -- not
even once -- alluded to Ming's disorientation and vomiting as being due to
an equilibrium problem ... because that would be just so easy on her part to
admit that she or any of her staff made a mistake and, heaven forbid, be
made accountable for it; emphasizing all throughout that Ming's balance
problem, staggering, inappetence, vomiting, and weight loss were all due to
a severe stomach problem that developed all on its own ... which just
happened to *coincide* immediately after the "therapeutic cleansing" (that's
what the cockamamie invoice says). :-T

** Ming, to this day, still falls when he jumps; still shakes his head and
scratches his ears frequently. And I can't afford any more diagnostic tests
and procedures because they run by the thousands; especially not after I
have spent close to $1800 on that one week alone of Ming's hospitalization.
I don't want my money back; even if she has caused my cat to be in that
emergency condition, but I would like for her to be able to carry
restitution for her mistake if I can get those tests (and treatments if any)
for my cat.

** The bottom line is if this vet had been honest with me from day one, I
would've accepted her treatments (costs and all) and never would've doubted
her assessments and diagnosis. The fact is that she had this cat for 3 full
days because I boarded my cat with her; and it was on pick-up day that she
performed the ear flushing. No matter how I see it, a cat that suddenly
falls ill -- even if the gastric inflammation was an incident on its own
unrelated to anything -- under her care is subject to the probability of
negligence. This is why she was insistent -- and here comes the fish
story -- that Ming had a developing ulcer that just coincidentally came to a
head (acute gastric inflammation) the day after his ear flush procedure.
Ulcers imply a developing case of wound formation over time ... therefore
alleviating herself from the responsibility of those 3 days she has had my
cat.

Old June 26th 04, 06:44 AM
Zaida

Zaida, are you still planning to file a complaint?

Poor little Ming. :-(

** Hi Laura. I've completed the form. But what's holding me back is my
grim chance because I don't have a written witness statement. Then from the
looks of it, seems like these "mistakes" are not rare occurrences ...
ultimately, they could write this off as attributable to the cat's breed
idiosyncrasy (i.e. some are just more susceptible or sensitive to medication
than others). It seems absurd to me that veterinary medicine doesn't hold
the same ethical standards as human medicine.

** OT ... maybe I should post a new thread ... how are Jack and Natasha
doing? :-D I'd love to see pictures of both or maybe with all of them
later on when they've acclimated with the rest of the feline gang.