Feliway helping on house-soiling?? advice needed.

Old February 3rd 05, 06:49 PM
FLEMMING

Default Feliway helping on house-soiling?? advice needed.

A year and 5 months ago we got a kitten from a local shelter. From day
one it's been unclean, meaning ****ting and peeing outside the box,
mostly this is taking place in the bathroom where he has two boxes. At
some point he also started peeing in front of the front door, not very
often though, just once in a while :-( Yesterday I noticed that he had
done it again and also found that the floorboard underneed the carpet
had been affected by it :-( I removed the carpet, cleaned the floor
with something called Rodalon, covered the place with plastic and put
an easy washable and removable carpet there instead. This morning I
caught him peeing there again :-(

Other information about him, he is nurtured, a very nice cat, but also
a cat who loves to dominate, and a very nervous cat (strange
combination). He scares very easily and don't feel comfortable with
new people and strange sounds. I've talked to the vet about this but
did not get much help there, all they can tell me is that it's a
behavior problem and that he has no health problems.

My question is would it help on his behavior if I started using
Feliway plug-in room diffuser???

Any help or suggestion is welcome and appreciated...
--
Flemming
Old February 3rd 05, 07:04 PM
Karen

WEll, first, yeah, a feliway diffuser might help him in several ways BUT,
have you had a vet check? This type of behaviour is fairly unusual in cats
who are naturally pretty fastidious. If he is neutered, he *really* should
not be so dominating. I think we need more info.

Old February 3rd 05, 08:44 PM
FLEMMING

Hi,

WEll, first, yeah, a feliway diffuser might help him in several ways BUT,
have you had a vet check? This type of behaviour is fairly unusual in cats
who are naturally pretty fastidious. If he is neutered, he *really* should
not be so dominating. I think we need more info.

Yes, he has been checked at the vet, the could find nothing wrong with
him. I was just told that it has to be behavior problems and stress
related.

As he was not being clean from the minute he entered the home I called
the shelter where we got him to ask what sand they used, they used the
same as I did, so that should not be a problem.

IMHO the problems started because he was moved, and was moved from a
shelter with lots of cats to a flat where he was the only cat. The
problem with peeing at the front door I'm pretty sure started because
of a neighbors cat who always used to come around at scratch at our
door.

Apart from wanting to pee at the front door this morning, and making
the big thing on the bathroom floor, he peed in the box both yesterday
evening and this afternoon.

He is a very nice cat, and it does not bother me a lot that he ppoops
on the bathroom floor, but I really want to get him to stop peeing at
the front door.

thank you for the help,
--
Flemming
Old February 3rd 05, 10:42 PM
Karen

"FLEMMING" wrote in message

Hi,

[...]

Well, #1 really clean well all the spots he has gone with an enzymatic
cleaner like Nature's Miracle. I mean REALLY well. And I would get a couple
of Feliway diffusers (cheaper by far online. Try valleyvet.com or the
petguys.com) Feliway should also help with stress (it's main function
anyway.) Does he have a cat tree by a window and toys for stimulous? I would
also try leaving a radio on when you are gone. And if he is so social,
consider adopting a buddy for him. Two cats are not much more, if any,
trouble than two.

Old February 3rd 05, 11:14 PM
Suzie-Q

In article ,
"Karen" wrote:

- "FLEMMING" wrote in message
- ...
-
- Hi,
-
[...]
- --
- Flemming
-
-
- Well, #1 really clean well all the spots he has gone with an enzymatic
- cleaner like Nature's Miracle. I mean REALLY well. And I would get a couple
- of Feliway diffusers (cheaper by far online. Try valleyvet.com or the
- petguys.com) Feliway should also help with stress (it's main function
- anyway.) Does he have a cat tree by a window and toys for stimulous? I would
- also try leaving a radio on when you are gone. And if he is so social,
- consider adopting a buddy for him. Two cats are not much more, if any,
- trouble than two.

I found them the cheapest at upco.com, but haven't received them yet, so
I can't comment on upco's service. I'm expecting them any day now.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
***Revelation 22:12*** ICQ: 349878998
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
Old February 4th 05, 12:35 AM
Alison

Some advice here re house soiling problems
http://www.apbc.org.uk/article10.htm

Alison

Old February 4th 05, 06:19 AM

My guess would be that the cat is unhappy about something. Have you
tried moving the litterboxes to a different room? Maybe he doesn't like
them where they are? Is he on his own all day? It's possible that he's
lonely and would benefit from the company of another young cat. It's
hard to tell from an Internet posting, but I'm pretty sure the cat is
protesting something about his current living conditions. Try to
brainstorm a bit about what might be bothering him and maybe after
trying a few different things you can hit on the right variable. This
is all assuming that you didn't declaw the cat. If you did, then
litterbox problems are to be expected, but hopefully that's not the
case here.

Old February 4th 05, 09:20 AM
FLEMMING

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:42:45 -0600, "Karen"
wrote:

Hi,

Well, #1 really clean well all the spots he has gone with an enzymatic
cleaner like Nature's Miracle. I mean REALLY well.

That I've already done *S*

And I would get a couple of Feliway diffusers (cheaper by far online.

I'ii try to look into it *S*

Does he have a cat tree by a window and toys for stimulous?

He has a tree, and we'me made lace in the windows so that he can sit
and look out *S*

also try leaving a radio on when you are gone.

He is never alone for long, a lot of days not at all.

And if he is so social, consider adopting a buddy for him. Two cats are not much more, if any,
trouble than two.

we would love to get another cat, but am only alowed to have one where
we live, some people have been thrown out for having two so I'm not
sure it's possible.
--
Flemming
Old February 4th 05, 09:21 AM
FLEMMING

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:35:17 -0000, "Alison"
wrote:

Some advice here re house soiling problems
http://www.apbc.org.uk/article10.htm

Thank you :-)
--
Flemming