Need some help

Old March 25th 04, 05:24 AM
Hopitus2

True: 2 in baggage (probably the girls, who'd no doubt snooze once settled
in) and 1 under my seat (probably BT Rowdy, who, in spite of his bad temper
and aggressiveness, is relatively *quiet* AFA bellowing goes - always an
endearment to your seatmates: Hopitus1 bellowed all the way from Miami to
S.Francisco airports, under my seat). Since several cheap airlines here
added MileHigh, it's 4 hours non-stop one-way. The big hassle before this
boon was unpleasant stopovers & reboarding in Dallas/Ft.Worth (good food @
airport, but hard on traveling cats, right?).

"badwilson" wrote in message
:
: "Hopitus2" wrote in message
: ...
: Have been out of the loop lately: been on phone, listening to new
: Not willing to keep my mouth shut about this rehoming business, I wish
: inspire those who may be now or in future "movers and shakers". Before
too
: long, I am moving to Denver area from south FL. The Evil 3 will be
either
: beside me in a/c comfort (more or less) in carriers rigged in shotgun
seat
: of my small pickup (it's no fun moving across country w/ bellowing cats,
: but
: already did it in coming back from northern CA in '87; experience tells
me
: better not to have them on the loose in the cab; moving to CO should be
an
: improvement over 3400 miles from CA to here) OR 2 in baggage, 1 under my
: seat on one-way ticket airborne. When you fly one-way, you get same
: going-over as if your last name was bin Laden. For all I know, even
: under-seat cat would be "wanded" and/or xray'd! LOL.
:
: I don't think that flying with your cats will be an option for you at all.
: Not if you want them in the cabin with you. The airlines have a 1 pet per
: passenger in the cabin rule, so you'd only be able to bring one with you.
: Of course you could put them all in carriers and do the baggage
compartment
: thing, that would work especially since your flight wouldn't be all that
: long. I'd never think of shipping Vino as baggage from Thailand to
: Vancouver since it's about 16 hours in the air plus stop overs. But from
: Florida to Colorado should be do-able. Of course the driving thing is
: always a good option too. Good luck with your move :-)
: --
: Britta
: Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's
covered
: in fur!
: Check out pictures of Vino at:
: http://photos.yahoo.com/badwilson click on the Vino album
:
:
:
:
:

Old March 25th 04, 05:42 AM
LOL

"OU812?" wrote in message ...
I need to rehome Oreo and Tootsie. I'm moving to Alberta in a few months
time and there's no way i can fly four cats out there, two is going to be
bad enough. I thought i'd start making an effort now before its too late
and i end up having to take them to a shelter.

Kristy
i live in NB, Canada.. any Mainers interested?

I am waaay at the other end of the continent and can't help, but
wanted to offer our purrs for a successful rehoming and happily ever
after ending for all.

------
Krista
Old March 25th 04, 05:47 AM
Yowie

"Takayuki" wrote in message

It is when you're excuse is because you're "moving." Adopting a cat is a
LIFETIME committment and it really annoys me when people want to become
apologists for those that make irresponsible decisions that cause cats
to lose their homes. You're also failing to look at the big picture.
There are already limited amounts of homes available for cats and there
are *millions* of cats waiting for them. By shirking what should be a
lifetime responsibility, she not only puts her cats into an unnecessary
and stressful/potentially deadly situation, she also will be responsible
for the deaths of two cats that could have gone to the home her cats
took. There are already millions of cats being put to sleep for lack of
homes and to intentionally add two more to those numbers is
unconscionable.

I would apologize for being an apologist, but that would be
self-defeating.

So to summarize, I am failing to look at the big picture and
advocating putting cats in potentially deadly and stressful
situations, and perhaps causing the deaths of two cats who would
otherwise have been homed.

And Kristy is an irresponsible person who endangers her own cats as
well as other cats, because she is shirking a lifetime commitment and
is indifferent to the millions of cats being euthanized all over the
world.

Certainly, we sound like a pair of murderous villains here. I didn't
realize how evil we were being until you pointed it out.

Kristy: I know that you're doing your best for your kitties, and I
hope that you'll be able to work this out, whether you find that you
can take them all with you or not.

Its all very well to preach for the "ideal situation" but its a rare person
who actually lives in that ideal world. Children, even desperately loved
children, can end up away from their parents because those parents, through
no fault of their own, find themselves in situations where their children
would be better off elsewhere. Not to mention a huge amount of kids where
the parent is doing as best as they can but still not raising thier kids in
the "ideal situation".

While I have adopted my critters in good faith, it would not take too much
for me to find myself homeless and penniless. Should I have not offered
Shmogg and Fluff a comfortable life just because there is a risk, albeit a
small one, that my life could go to hell in a handbasket at somepoint? If I
had kids, I could get welfare to support them, and get emergency housing,
but with only animals the authorities don't care, no matter how much I love,
care and treat them as if they were my children.

I could dump the animals of course, and then people would complain I ws
being heartless and cruel

or I could put them down and I"d get the same complaint

Or I could, despite my heart breaking, do my utmost to find a safe and
loving home for them.

What would you have me do?

You see, I don't have a crystal ball. I cannot predict the future. I cannot
say that I will have a job and a house and a stable life tomorrow. I cannot
say that the world won't go to war, or terrorists won't bomb my home town,
or even a that a bus run won't run me over and leave me an invalid incapable
of looking after my critters. I can only make decisions based on an
optomistic view that I willbe capable of supporting those who need support
into the future, but life doesn't come with guarantees. I fyou can
underwrite my life, great, but I bet you can't. However, even if I find
myself destitute within the hour, and have to find homes for Shmogg and
Fluff, I will know that I have done the best for them, and their lives have
already been much better had I not adopted them. They']ve had food, fresh
water, a safe place, and lots of love. Which has got tobe better than being
abondoned on the streets or euthanised because they were excess to
requirements.

Life doesn't come with a crystal ball.

Yowie

Old March 25th 04, 10:43 AM
badwilson

Yeah, 4 hours non stop is pretty good, I'm sure none of your kitties (be
they in baggage or under the seat) would be any worse for wear. Might
actually be easier on them than a multi-day car ride, if you can afford it.
--

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
True: 2 in baggage (probably the girls, who'd no doubt snooze once settled
in) and 1 under my seat (probably BT Rowdy, who, in spite of his bad

temper
and aggressiveness, is relatively *quiet* AFA bellowing goes - always an
endearment to your seatmates: Hopitus1 bellowed all the way from Miami to
S.Francisco airports, under my seat). Since several cheap airlines here
added MileHigh, it's 4 hours non-stop one-way. The big hassle before this
boon was unpleasant stopovers & reboarding in Dallas/Ft.Worth (good food @
airport, but hard on traveling cats, right?).

"badwilson" wrote in message
:
: ...

Old March 25th 04, 01:33 PM

Yowie wrote:
snip

Whil I understand the reasoning in what you wrote, it does not apply in
this paricular situation. Please don't convolute it and make it sound
like this woman is suffering some horrible hardship that forces her to
give up her cats. Read the original post. The cats aren't being dumped
for a valid reason. She's managing to take two of them with her. She
just doesn't want to be bothered with the other two because it's
apparently a PITA to fly *four* cats. This is *all about convenience*
and nothing more.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old March 25th 04, 03:07 PM
OU812?

Susan M wrote:
Where in NB? My BIL lives in St. John.

I'm in Miramichi, but i'd be willing to meet them in Fredericton with a cat
if they're interested...

to see them, go to http://www.geocities.com/krispyp

Oreo is one of the kitties for adoption and the other one is on the Tygra's
babies page, she's the almost completely black tortie. She's almost two yrs
old and Oreo turned two in Jan, they're both fixed.

Kristy

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Calgary

"OU812?" wrote in message
I need to rehome Oreo and Tootsie. I'm moving to Alberta in a few
months time and there's no way i can fly four cats out there, two is
going to be bad enough. I thought i'd start making an effort now
before its too late and i end up having to take them to a shelter.

Kristy
i live in NB, Canada.. any Mainers interested?

--
((
/\ /\ ))
# # # #
*Bomber*

--
((
/\ /\ ))
# # # #
*Bomber*

Old March 25th 04, 03:12 PM
OU812?

Yowie wrote:
snip

Whil I understand the reasoning in what you wrote, it does not apply
in this paricular situation. Please don't convolute it and make it
sound like this woman is suffering some horrible hardship that forces
her to give up her cats. Read the original post. The cats aren't
being dumped for a valid reason. She's managing to take two of them
with her. She just doesn't want to be bothered with the other two
because it's apparently a PITA to fly *four* cats. This is *all about
convenience* and nothing more.

Megan

No, its because of A) finances and B) Hubby has said he will be lucky to
find a place that will accept two cats, much less four. I didn't like the
idea at first either and it pains me terribly to have to give up these two
cats i've raised from kittenhood, thats why i'm appealing here long ahead of
time instead of waiting til the last minute and dumping them off at a
shelter. I'm making every effort to find them a good caring home.
Unfortunately, i myself have no control over the cat population problem.
I've done my part, all my cats are fixed.

Kristy

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the
decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents,
meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt
would have come his way."

- W.H. Murray

--
((
/\ /\ ))
# # # #
*Bomber*

Old March 25th 04, 03:16 PM
OU812?

badwilson wrote:
"Hopitus2" wrote in message
[...]

I myself am not flying, i will be travelling across canada by car. Neither
of the cats enjoy short car drives, so taking them that way is not an
option. Since my fiance is already out there, i will fly the cats out, and
he will pick them up and take them home while i travel. I also plan to stop
and visit my biological mother in quebec on the way there, so again, taking
the cats wouldn't be practical, she has three of her own

Kristy
--
((
/\ /\ ))
# # # #
*Bomber*

Old March 25th 04, 06:50 PM
Tanada

OU812? wrote:

I need to rehome Oreo and Tootsie. I'm moving to Alberta in a few months
time and there's no way i can fly four cats out there, two is going to be
bad enough. I thought i'd start making an effort now before its too late
and i end up having to take them to a shelter.

Kristy
i live in NB, Canada.. any Mainers interested?

Sympathy purrs and headbutts for you all. I'm so sorry for you and your
situation, and hope that you can find the best possible forever homes
for them.

Hey Tak, Massachusetts isn't that far from New Brunswick. YOu can give
Betty friends and help Kristy at the same time.

Old March 25th 04, 06:52 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:33:22 -0600 (CST), wrote:

Whil I understand the reasoning in what you wrote, it does not apply in
this paricular situation. Please don't convolute it and make it sound
like this woman is suffering some horrible hardship that forces her to
give up her cats. Read the original post. The cats aren't being dumped
for a valid reason. She's managing to take two of them with her. She
just doesn't want to be bothered with the other two because it's
apparently a PITA to fly *four* cats. This is *all about convenience*
and nothing more.

To Megan

I agree that when we bring any animal into our home it should be a
lifetime committment. But, like Yowie said, sometimes in this
imperfect world, unforeseen things happen, and the best we can do is
find good loving homes for our animals. As much as we might wish it to
be otherwise, sometimes when we take in animals we are not giving them
the forever home we might wish them to have.

I did read the original post. I recognise the OP as a frequent poster
who loves her cats. She did not come here asking advice. She had
already made her decision. She came here asking if any of us here knew
of anyone who could give her cats a good home.

So, there was no reason to list any, or all, of the factors that went
into her decision. Sure, the OP gave as one her reasons the problems
of flying. That doesn't mean she listed all her reasons, or that that
is the most important. Perhaps it would have been better not to give
any reasons at all, but I don't see how anyone can judge her decision
from what little imformation posted. And, I don't think it's my, or
anyone elses, place to judge the decision in the first place.

I'm sure this is a decision which she has agonized over. I'm equally
sure that the last thing she needs, after reaching this heartrending
decison, is to be raked over the coals.

To Kristy

As I said when you first posted, I'm sorry that you have to part with
ANY of your furrbabies, as I'm sure it breaks your heart. I'm glad
that you have enough lead time to try to find them good loving homes,
and hope that it works out that poster who has already expressed
interest can in fact take care of at least one of your babies.

We're continuing to send purrs that you find good homes, and are
sending comforting {{{hugs}}} and purrs for you not to take Megan's
scolding to heart. I'm sure you feel as bad as I would if I had to
part with any of my three.

Like Hop said in a previous post, she does lots of good work, and is
obviously very passionate about her love of all cats. In this case I
sincerely believe she leapt to the work conclusion when she read your
OP.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]