[OT] A fire next door

Old June 1st 05, 12:50 PM
Karen

Default [OT] A fire next door

in article , Mark Edwards at
wrote on 6/1/05 6:37AM:

Ack! Burning Froot Loops stink!

Got up this morning and had breakfast. Let Dulce Mae outthe back door.
A little while later, I think about opening the door to let her back
in, when I hear girly voices outside.

So I look out the peephole, and see the next door neighbor's teenage
daughter and one of her friends, sitting outside in their underwear,
instead of seeing Dulce Mae...

Okay, I'm a bit slow this morning, and the next door neighbors are
kind of weird, so I didn't think anything of it.

I went to the front door to let Buster out, and was really surprised
to see the fog roiling as thickly as it was. Especially around the
neighbors' front door. THEN it dawned on me that fog doesn't generally
stink.

I went to the door and hollered in "Are y'all okay?", then realized
they were probably sitting outside the back door.

Yep. In their underwear, like I thought. I tried to be a gentlemana nd
averted my eyes. Mom had just gotten home from the night shift, had
just laid down, and she heard some loud crackling noises.

She woke up, saw the fire, rushed the girls out (they finally went in
and put some shorts on), and sprayed the cabinet that was on fire,
with the fire extinguisher.

The cabinet was still smoking, which made me nervous, since that
cabinet shares a wall with our kitchen. So I went over, and removed
the still-smoking charred box of cereal, several still-smoking
pop-tart packages, and a half-melted plate or two, and dumped them all
in the sink.

Once we ran water over the smoking remains, smoke generation dropped
quickly.

Neighbor has a little Yorkie, who was nervous and shaking, and they
asked if we could keep an eye on him for a while. All three cats are
vigorously shaking their heads no (I'm sure they were), but Little
Feet came over to say hello, and to see if he could sniff the dog's
feet (grin). Dulce Mae, who had come in decided to go back out, and
Buster just sat back and watched.

So a little excitement to get the blood pumping this morning...

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

Jeez. Glad all is OK. How on earth did THAT happen???

Old June 1st 05, 02:47 PM
Adrian

Mark Edwards wrote:
[...]

Thank goodness no one was hurt.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old June 1st 05, 06:42 PM

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 06:37:22 -0500, Mark Edwards
wrote:

[...]

Ack, Mark, that's scary! Glad there wasn't too much damage and that
everyone is okay.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old June 1st 05, 09:20 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-01, Mark Edwards penned:

She woke up, saw the fire, rushed the girls out (they finally went
in and put some shorts on), and sprayed the cabinet that was on
fire, with the fire extinguisher.

The cabinet was still smoking, which made me nervous, since that
cabinet shares a wall with our kitchen. So I went over, and removed
the still-smoking charred box of cereal, several still-smoking
pop-tart packages, and a half-melted plate or two, and dumped them
all in the sink.

Er ....

So how exactly did this fire start, anyway? Froot Loops in the
cabinet don't spontaneously combust, do they?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 1st 05, 10:18 PM
polonca12000

I'm glad nobody was hurt.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message

Ack! Burning Froot Loops stink!

Got up this morning and had breakfast. Let Dulce Mae outthe back door.
A little while later, I think about opening the door to let her back
in, when I hear girly voices outside.

So I look out the peephole, and see the next door neighbor's teenage
daughter and one of her friends, sitting outside in their underwear,
instead of seeing Dulce Mae...

Okay, I'm a bit slow this morning, and the next door neighbors are
kind of weird, so I didn't think anything of it.

I went to the front door to let Buster out, and was really surprised
to see the fog roiling as thickly as it was. Especially around the
neighbors' front door. THEN it dawned on me that fog doesn't generally
stink.

snip

Old June 2nd 05, 03:47 AM
badwilson

Whoa, scary! Glad y'all are ok though. Just one question...just how
does a box of fruit loops and a package of pop tarts catch on fire in
the first place???
My dad once set one side of our house on fire when I was about 12. He
was smoking salmon but the smokehouse was made of wood and attatched
to the side of the house. Not his smartest moment! And he's an
aeronautical engineer too! Eeeek! Oh well, it all worked out in the
end and I got bigger windows in my bedroom.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old June 5th 05, 03:30 AM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article , "badwilson"
wrote:

Whoa, scary! Glad y'all are ok though. Just one question...just how
does a box of fruit loops and a package of pop tarts catch on fire in
the first place???
My dad once set one side of our house on fire when I was about 12. He
was smoking salmon but the smokehouse was made of wood and attatched
to the side of the house. Not his smartest moment! And he's an
aeronautical engineer too! Eeeek! Oh well, it all worked out in the
end and I got bigger windows in my bedroom.

After a less than successful antiballistic missile test a while back,
the three star general running things had the wit to observe, "well,
this IS rocket science."