Which human foods can cats eat?

Old July 19th 05, 11:50 PM
Ricky

Not necessarily. Suppose you are feeding a kitten? How much beef or
chicken does it take to extract the same amount of Taurine as a one
would get from a field mouse? As for "free range, organic cows"...
what a load. Your agenda is poking through again.

No animal in the wild eats cooked food. LEARN by example.

Rubbish. We had BEARS paw through our camp trash and ate EVERYTHING in
sight, including cooked beef and pork trimmings. At this very moment, I
have a feral cat who visits our back porch every night ... and eats

ANYTHING
we put out (cooked meat scraps no less). Bobcats will eat cooked meat

too.
Ask me how I know.

I mean that no animal in the wild cooks their food. Most animals will eat
junk food - it satisfies their taste buds quickly. Take man out of the
equation and then "No animal in the wild eats cooked food" makes more sense.
I should have been more clear.

Young'ens don't worry about Taurine because their body (not ruined by
depleted,
processed "cat" food) TELLS them what to eat.

Rubbish. Go counsel with a veterinarian about feeding adult food to a
kitten and to cats less that 12 months of age. Ask what usually happens to
these cats having experienced a prolonged Taurine deficiency. Good

grief,
Ricky.

Once again I was talking about animals in the wild. Not domesticated
animals. I just think we should learn from our natural examples.

Or the parents by
instinct control their diet. Something not one in a
hundred people know about because they are so busy stuffing their
bloated bodies with foods that make them feel good, instead of foods
their body tells them to eat when truly hungry. People's awful feeding
habits gets passed on to their pets.

Count yourself amoung the ignorant spouting junk. Look how you close your
post ... more vegetarianism misapplied.

Phillip, there was nothing pro vegan in the above paragraph. "Healthy"
doesn't necessarily mean vegan. Lots of vegans eat way too much fat and
salt and sugar. Many meat eaters eat high quality meat, not fried and in
small portions.

Old July 20th 05, 12:42 AM
Philip

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Philip" wrote in message
nk.net...

http://enews.tufts.edu/stories/080102PetsAndSmoke.htm

Leaving your petty irreverence aside, lets look at this link:

"...a new study from Tufts reports that cats living in homes with smokers
are more than twice as likely than other cats to acquire feline lymphoma
cancer. The research - which is the first of its kind..."

Ok. "Twice as likely" is not a hard number. It's a feel good forcast.
Let
me dumb it down for you. Out of 1000 cases, we initially find 2 cases
that
meet the smoker/lymphoma link. Next study finds 4 cases out of 1000.
Is
that a big increase? NO. Is that DOUBLE the former findings? YES. As
they say "Figures don't lie but ... liars figure."

How about the Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association
quoting
the American Journal of Epidemiology?

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/nov02/021101l.asp

THIS is just a reference to the Tuffs study.

How about Dr. Elizabeth R. Bertone of the University of Massachusetts
in
Amherst?

http://www.tobacco.org/news/100129.html

Says "*may* increase risk of lymphoma. No hard figures. Conjecture.

Not enough? How about the University of Wisconsin?

http://www.uwsp.edu/centers/StudentH...o/Tobacco3.htm

Same thing. This link is only a reference to the Tuffs study, meaning it
too is "feel good" stuff.

Are you a smoker, Phillip?

Nope. Speaking of things that are fatal ONLY when present in toxic amounts,
cat saliva kills birds. Work with that for awhile.

Idiot! I thought you had me kill-filed because I am a "compassion
nazi"!

Like I said to Mary awhile back, all the inmates in my killfile were
released about two weeks ago. I do not pass lifetime sentences. So far,
the recidivism rate has been almost non existent for a variety of
reasons.

Oh, please don't do me any favors, put me back in your jail!

See how pleasant it was when you were there? You want to go back because I
treated you so well! This time, you exercise the killfile option.

Thanks buttercup.

Old July 20th 05, 12:43 AM
Philip

"Steve G" wrote in message
oups.com...

Philip wrote:

Leaving your petty irreverence aside, lets look at this link:

No, let's look at the actual reference:

Bertone et al., 2003, Am J Epidemiol. 156: 268-273. Complete abstract:

"Feline malignant lymphoma occurs commonly in domestic cats and may
serve as a model for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in humans. Several studies
have suggested that smoking may increase the risk of non-Hodgkin's
lymphoma. To evaluate whether exposure to household environmental
tobacco smoke (ETS) may increase the risk of feline malignant lymphoma,
the authors conducted a case-control study of this relation in 80 cats
with malignant lymphoma and 114 controls with renal disease diagnosed
at a large Massachusetts veterinary teaching hospital between 1993 and
2000. Owners of all subjects were sent a questionnaire inquiring about
the level of smoking in the household 2 years prior to diagnosis. After
adjustment for age and other factors, the relative risk of malignant
lymphoma for cats with any household ETS exposure was 2.4 (95 percent
confidence interval: 1.2, 4.5). Risk increased with both duration and
quantity of exposure, with evidence of a linear trend. Cats with 5 or
more years of ETS exposure had a relative risk of 3.2 (95 percent
confidence interval: 1.5, 6.9; p for trend = 0.003) compared with those
in nonsmoking households. These findings suggest that passive smoking
may increase the risk of malignant lymphoma in cats and that further
study of this relation in humans is warranted."

Full article he
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co...full/156/3/268

Ok. "Twice as likely" is not a hard number. It's a feel good forcast.
Let
me dumb it down for you. Out of 1000 cases, we initially find 2 cases
that
meet the smoker/lymphoma link. Next study finds 4 cases out of 1000.
Is
that a big increase? NO. Is that DOUBLE the former findings? YES. As
they say "Figures don't lie but ... liars figure."

There were 80 lymphoma cases in the clinical population, which was a
sample of all confirmed cases over 7 years at a single animal hospital.

The study says that of the cats who were cancerous, these were far more
likely to have come from a smoking household. The study does not deal
with how likely in absolute terms lymphoma is in cats. However, the
link between smoking and cancer was quite clear, subject to the usual
issues with epidemiological studies.

I do not know what proportion of cats get lymphoma, but that question
was not the point of the study. Incidentally, the link between lymphoma
and passive smoking in humans is not entirely clear, AIUI.

Same thing. This link is only a reference to the Tuffs study, meaning it
too is "feel good" stuff.

Oh yes, it's 'Tufts', not 'Tuffs'.

Steve.

Do you wonder how often the "passive smoke" was marijuana .... instead of
tobacco? Let's ask Charlie. LOL

Old July 20th 05, 12:43 AM
Philip

"whitershadeofpale" wrote in message
oups.com...

Philip wrote:

Count yourself amoung the ignorant spouting junk. Look how you close
your
post ... more vegetarianism misapplied.

I bet the back of you neck looks like a pack of hotdogs.

Must be an MTV generation joke.

Old July 20th 05, 12:43 AM
Philip

"Ricky" wrote in message

Phillip - if a vet repeatedly sees lung cancer ....

snip

'Steve G' has brought into question much of the "study" you refer to. I
direct you to that post.

Old July 20th 05, 12:43 AM
Philip

"Ricky" wrote in message
Plus the fact that you need energy to generate a fever.

You wouldn't get a fever at all if you stopped stuffing your face! I
used to get fevers all the time when getting colds and the flu. Now
when I feel under the weather I stop eating. In a day or two I'm
feeling better. NEVER a fever. Of course this may be a
coincidence. Its only been decades.

Bull Crap. One of the body's immune system responses is to elevate body
temperature. Taken to it's logical end, if you starve yourself, you will
never get a fever because ... you are dead.

Actually Phillip you will never get a fever if you stop eating when you
start to feel under the weather. I know. I've never got a fever in
decades
of stopping my food intake when I feel a bug coming on. Soon it is over.
No fever. Ever.

Fine if that works for you. Doesn't work for me.

Old July 20th 05, 12:43 AM
Philip

"Ricky" wrote in message
Not necessarily. Suppose you are feeding a kitten? How much beef or
chicken does it take to extract the same amount of Taurine as a one
would get from a field mouse? As for "free range, organic cows"...
what a load. Your agenda is poking through again.

No animal in the wild eats cooked food. LEARN by example.

Rubbish. We had BEARS paw through our camp trash and ate EVERYTHING in
sight, including cooked beef and pork trimmings. At this very moment, I
have a feral cat who visits our back porch every night ... and eats
ANYTHING
we put out (cooked meat scraps no less). Bobcats will eat cooked meat
too. Ask me how I know.

I mean that no animal in the wild cooks their food.

snipped the rest of your back pedaling.

Sorry little lady. You said what you meant and even your clarification now
changes nothing. BEARS in Yosemite National park and in Yellowstone
National park are wild bears. HELLO in there! Bobcats are WILD around here
where we live. So are the coyotes WILD around here. The feral cat we've
been feeding has no known owner either. That he still has his "package"
should tell you that nobody owns him too. All have eaten cooked meat scraps
that we failed to dispose of securely.

Old July 20th 05, 05:56 PM
Steve G

Philip wrote:
"Steve G" wrote in message
oups.com...

(...)
Do you wonder how often the "passive smoke" was marijuana .... instead of
tobacco?

No, because marijuana is usually smoked with tobacco, in any case.

S.

Old July 20th 05, 06:08 PM
Kitkat

Steve G wrote:

Philip wrote:

"Steve G" wrote in message
groups.com...

(...)

Do you wonder how often the "passive smoke" was marijuana .... instead of
tobacco?

No, because marijuana is usually smoked with tobacco, in any case.

S.

Not here in the US! People don't want to ruin the good flava of their
herbage with the nastiness of tobacco!!

How do I know this? I'm not tellin!!!!
Old July 21st 05, 03:13 AM
Philip

"Steve G" wrote in message
oups.com...
marij

Philip wrote:
"Steve G" wrote in message
oups.com...

(...)
Do you wonder how often the "passive smoke" was marijuana .... instead of
tobacco?

No, because uana is usually smoked with tobacco, in any case.

S.

Really? How do you know this? Recreational self medication is something I
am not familiar.