Which human foods can cats eat?

Old July 15th 05, 04:36 AM
Ricky

Which human foods can cats eat? Not as exclusive diet, but once in a
while, without harming their health.

Its not "human" that matters. Its natural and non-processed. Look at

your
cat food's ingredients. They make it so it won't spoil in

non-refrigerated
conditions. Do you know of any food besides perhaps nuts and sees that
stays pristine in non-refrigerated conditions for very long?

If it's canned, plenty of foods.

Canned foods are crap. Why not buy meat/fish fresh? Too busy to feed your
pet natural food?

Also - no
animals should ever eat cooked foods. Have you ever seen a stove in a
forest? Its a natural thing for animals to be fast and lean to catch

their
foods. So fat animals will naturally lose their excess weight in the

wilds.
Its absurd for domestic animals to be heavy. Of course its absurd for
people to be heavy...but that's another story on modern society's rapidly
declining health.

A casual glance at our fridge shows: cooked shrimp, baked chicken, ham,
bacon, sausage, canned tuna, salmon. Oh, and I just scambled some eggs
for myself.

Ham, bacon, sausage - the worst meats one could possible ingest.

Yeah, but they're still good food.

Only good for heart surgeons.

Filled enough with enough preservatives to kill ya - slowly!

We're all gonna die someday and I should probably worry more about the
cigarette I'm smoking than the bacon I had on my sandwich at lunch
today and the day before that.

Well I was talking to people that care about how long and the quality of
their life.

One thing I am not though is overweight.

Mainy slim people die way before their time of heart problems and cancers.

I wan't trying to insult people - just trying to open some eyes. Often
others in our lives (even animals) can direct us to better ways of living.

Old July 15th 05, 04:40 AM
Ricky

The key not moderation. The key is discipline and realizing that having
little bit of something makes us crave more. Animals are very much like
people. Once they have tasted the quick satisfaction of junk food (all

any
cooked food is junk for an animal - I'm not saying its not nutritious -

just
that its simply not as good as its raw version) they will not be as
discerning about food in the future. If you never eat salted food, you

will
never crave salted foods. Same with fried food, sweetened foods, etc.

Same
with smoking, coffee, alcohol, etc. Many animals will gobble up junk

food -
as foolish as their feeders who are consuming the same trash. Always

look
at what they would eat in the wilds. THAT type is the food you should

give
them. Your pet trusts you to feed them properly. They are helpless in

your
care. Do you think animals have cancers in the wilds?

Yes, and I think it would be more prevalent if animals lived longer as
they often do in captivity. Animals in the wild often have a pretty
rough life.

They are far healthier, albeit living a more dangerous life with predators
and such.

They can't go to a doctor if they are injured or sick and
contrary to what some people may say (at least about some animals),
they all don't know just what plant to eat to make them feel better
even if such a plant did exist.

Most animals fast - drink water and eat nothing - to elevate their immune
system. Humans used to do the same. But now we're smarter, pop drugs and
think all is well.

That is a manmade
disease from eating manmade processed foods. Your pet deserves the best.
They give you their all.

I think cats are typically slackers - do they come when you call them?
Mine only does if she's in the right mood.

Slackers....that's a perfect description. I bet there were many smiles upon
the faces of people reading that today!

Old July 15th 05, 04:41 AM
Ricky

Which human foods can cats eat? Not as exclusive diet, but once in a
while, without harming their health.

A casual glance at our fridge shows: cooked shrimp, baked chicken,

ham,
bacon, sausage, canned tuna, salmon. Oh, and I just scambled some eggs
for myself.

All of this is non-vegetable. Can cats eat it safely?

BTW, what makes canned cat food stink so badly? :-)

In moderation (no more than perhaps 1/2% of their diet), you can't go

wrong
letting kitty eat what s(he) fancies as long as the treat isn't toxic.
My kitty will go raving nuts for fresh grilled fish or turn his nose up
at it prefering some sliced ham. I used to be in the habbit of giving
kitty evaporated milk all the time but have fallen out of that habbit.
It would give them the runs and short-circuit their brain's pleasure
center; kitty crack.

I've known cats who like ice cream (never chocolate!), even one who

loved
cantalope. Sometimes kitty will only want a treat if it is tossed
across the room so kitty can hunt it and kill it. Another cat who

would
get excited at getting a treat, but with her flat persian face couldn't
coordinate where the end of her face was and would just sit there
snapping her tongue without ever eating. It's really up to the cat.

The key is moderation. Giving kitty treats on a daily basis is too
much. Once or twice a week seems to be best.

[...]

cancers in the wilds? That is a manmade disease from eating manmade
processed foods. Your pet deserves the best. They give you their all.

I looked through the phonebook for a butcher selling rodents. Not even the
Vietnamese shops sell the stuff. Ideas?

It sounds quite repulsive, but I wonder if anybody breeds them for their
cats? Or rabbits or squirrels for dogs? Wouldn't it be great to have a big
aquaruim where the frisky fish do nothing but copulate and propagate? Ah,
it only it was so easy.

Old July 15th 05, 05:51 AM
M.C. Mullen

:
: A casual glance at our fridge shows: cooked shrimp, baked chicken, ham,
: bacon, sausage, canned tuna, salmon. Oh, and I just scambled some eggs
: for myself.

There's more in your fridge than in mine ;-)

Cats *love* scrambled eggs!

I let my cats lick the cream cups (for the coffee). They make a great kitten
toy too.

Carola

Old July 15th 05, 05:57 AM
M.C. Mullen

: I looked through the phonebook for a butcher selling rodents. Not even the
: Vietnamese shops sell the stuff. Ideas?
:

Snake shop ...

Old July 15th 05, 06:07 AM
Philip

In ,
AZ Nomad stated unanimously:
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:39:14 GMT, Philip
wrote:
I looked through the phonebook for a butcher selling rodents. Not even
the Vietnamese shops sell the stuff. Ideas?

Pet store? Sounds like a bloody mess.

Turkey/chicken is bird-food minus the features and stomach contents and
my cat doesn't care nor does he eat enough of it for it to have the
slightest effect on his health. It's an infrequent treat. I always
stuff him silly on thanksgiving and perhaps give him a bite once or twice
a month. Kitty never begs as I always utter the words "fish!" before a
treat and "that's all!" at the end.

Trip to the vet for Omar's first booster vacs. Vet sold me a tube of
FeloVite with emphasis on the Taurine component for growing kittens. "Do
not feed him table scraps or adult cat foods" were his instructions.

I recall a thread here were somebody jokingly suggested going to a pet store
and buyin up those little mice one feeds to snakes. The UPROAR here was
unreal.

Old July 15th 05, 06:08 AM
Philip

In ,
equalizerequalizer stated unanimously:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:41:57 -0700, "Ricky"
wrote:

It sounds quite repulsive, but I wonder if anybody breeds them for their
cats? Or rabbits or squirrels for dogs? Wouldn't it be great to have a
big aquaruim where the frisky fish do nothing but copulate and
propagate? Ah, it only it was so easy.

I've thought about breeding mice for cat food, but, alas, my cats just
kill them, they don't eat them.

http://web.newsguy.com/equalizer/mouse_1.jpg
http://web.newsguy.com/equalizer/mouse_3.jpg
http://web.newsguy.com/equalizer/mouse_4.jpg

Maybe if you "cleaned and gutted" them and presented them in a "kitty stew"
..... LOL

Old July 15th 05, 06:08 AM
Philip

In ,
Ricky stated unanimously:
Which human foods can cats eat? Not as exclusive diet, but once in a
while, without harming their health.

Its not "human" that matters. Its natural and non-processed. Look at
your cat food's ingredients. They make it so it won't spoil in
non-refrigerated conditions. Do you know of any food besides perhaps
nuts and sees that stays pristine in non-refrigerated conditions for
very long? Also - no animals should ever eat cooked foods. Have you
ever seen a stove in a forest? Its a natural thing for animals to be
fast and lean to catch their foods. So fat animals will naturally lose
their excess weight in the wilds. Its absurd for domestic animals to be
heavy. Of course its absurd for people to be heavy...but that's another
story on modern society's rapidly declining health.

A casual glance at our fridge shows: cooked shrimp, baked chicken, ham,
bacon, sausage, canned tuna, salmon. Oh, and I just scambled some eggs
for myself.

Ham, bacon, sausage - the worst meats one could possible ingest. Filled
enough with enough preservatives to kill ya - slowly!

Real food for cats? Raw, fresh fish and meat. And whatever small
amounts of greens/vegetables they might supplement that with. Liver is
very cheap. I'm no cat expert; just trying to use some logic.

Rick, I read a lot of PC drivel in your post. Or perhaps the only place
you know to buy meats is processed and/or in a can. Ever had bacon,
sausage, or ham fresh from a butcher? Quite different stuff. None of
those preservatives and sodiums you're so opposed to. Raw chicken eggs
are no better for cats than for people.

Don't understand "PC" in your reply. ??
If its pork, why not give raw pork? Likewise anything else. Why mess
with nature? Butchers of course are the best source and free range fed on
organic grains and stuff is even better.

PC: Politically Correct.

Grains (corn, millet, wheat, barley, etc) found in all commercial dry foods
are also implicated in obesity.

Cats are carnivores. They have no molar-like grinding teeth, they cannot
move their jaw sideways (as one does in grinding foods), and their
intestines are comparatively short.

Old July 15th 05, 06:08 AM
Philip

In news Ricky stated unanimously:
Which human foods can cats eat? Not as exclusive diet, but once in a
while, without harming their health.

Its not "human" that matters. Its natural and non-processed. Look at
your cat food's ingredients. They make it so it won't spoil in
non-refrigerated conditions. Do you know of any food besides perhaps
nuts and sees that stays pristine in non-refrigerated conditions for
very long?

If it's canned, plenty of foods.

Canned foods are crap. Why not buy meat/fish fresh? Too busy to feed
your pet natural food?

There are numerous nutrients (taurine in particular) that is woefully
deficient in muscle and organ tissue.

http://www.hdw-inc.com/healthtaurine.htm

"In the wild, rodents formed a large part of the feline diet, and the
rodents had significant levels of taurine in their brains. When we began to
domesticate cats and feed them commercial cat foods instead of their wild
diets, taurine deficiency started appearing. This was of great concern,
especially in the 1970's, when it was proven that many commercial cat foods
on the market at that time contained an inadequate amount of taurine. Cats
are different from other animals in that they cannot make enough taurine
internally to meet their needs, and they must have enough taurine supplied
to them in their food. Since these studies came out, most major pet food
companies revised their pet food formulas to include taurine. Interestingly
enough, not all taurine is equal, and some commercial foods need to have
even more taurine added to their formulas to allow for proper feline
absorption and utilization of the taurine in their foods. "

Mainy slim people die way before their time of heart problems and cancers.

I wan't trying to insult people - just trying to open some eyes. Often
others in our lives (even animals) can direct us to better ways of living.

You are MISAPPLYING nutritional needs. You have a vegetarian agenda, that is
clear.

Old July 15th 05, 06:08 AM
Philip

In ,
223rem stated unanimously:
Ricky wrote:

Most animals fast - drink water and eat nothing - to elevate their immune
system. Humans used to do the same. But now we're smarter, pop drugs
and think all is well.

Where do you get this stuff? Do you make it up?

I was JUST ABOUT to post the same thing. Ricky .... give it up.