Really? You have cats?

Old August 12th 15, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Really? You have cats?

But they aren't terribly brave. Since moving into the new house just
about a month ago, my visitors are pretty well convinced that I have
imaginary cats. Oh, they see the feeding bowls, the cat tree, the
litter robot. And of course the fake little furry mice. But actual
physical cats? Not one sighting.

So I tell the folks about Scooter, the semi-brave one, and Nipsy, the
big wuss. Yes, the two girls, Marlo and Baby. And I tell them how I
just took Baby off the street because the two people who fed her were
both leaving the neighborhood.

They don't believe me for a moment. After all, this is a 55+
development, and lots of folks around here have some sort of dementia.
At the very least, we all lived through the 60's. It's probably just
some sort of flashback, and a harmless one.

Sometimes I wish that my cats were more like my friend Serene's cats.
Four of the six come out when company is there, probably more out of
curiosity than any real effort to prove that THEY exist.

No, I say, I really do have cats. Yes, yes, of course you do, and they
look at each other knowingly. But someday I'll prove it to them.
Someday Scooter will walk out of wherever it is that he's spying on
us, and will reveal his pretty face for all the world to see.

But apparently it won't be today.

They're all so weird.

Old August 12th 15, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann791

On 8/11/2015 10:20 PM, dgk wrote:
[...]

You need some pictures of them on furniture in your house to show visitors.

Ann
Old August 12th 15, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_6_]

On 2015-08-11 11:50 PM, dgk wrote:
[...]

One of my cats was so shy that the cat-sitter ransacked the house
looking for her because she hadn't even seen her and thought she might
have escaped or been sick or something. Sometimes, when she was feeling
very bold, she'd lurk cautiously at the top of the stairs and peer down.
This was when there were strangers in the house, and by strangers, she
meant anyone but me, even if they'd visited before. When I was there by
myself, she was a perfectly friendly and affectionate cat.

Cheryl
Old August 12th 15, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 12:23:08 PM UTC-4, Cheryl wrote:
On 2015-08-11 11:50 PM, dgk wrote:
[...]

Fin lived with me for 6 years before anyone really saw him. He was extremely people-shy, poor baby.
The Princess Rita, on the other hand, runs to the door with me to greet everybody who comes in and demands pettings Right Away. She loves people of all ages, and isn't afraid to beg for treats and pets.

Jane
Old August 12th 15, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

By weird, do you mean your guests or your cats ? :-)

Jay

Old August 12th 15, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

I love this post. I don't think your cats are weird at all. I have the
same problem with Boyfie, several of my friends have jokingly accused me of
having an imaginary cat too as he has no intention of letting them see him.
Only 3 visitors have ever seen him, my sister in law Claire and my friend
June, both fed him for weeks on end whilst I was hospitalised at various
times so he got used to them, and the other person is Simon, my
ex-counsellor who Boyfie seems to trust. I accuse Simon of using secret
counselling techniques on him, he just smiles and says "Yep, that's how I
work.."
Actually it's probably because he is very quiet and gentle and has been
visiting me for so many years that Boyfie has decided he's not a threat.
Simon has a cat of his own, a very elderly chap around 18 years old who is
on thyroid meds.
I know what you mean about wishing your cats were braver with visitors.
Every time the doorbell rings Boyfie up the stairs to his bedroom. Kitty
Farmcat, OTOH, absolutely loved visitors, she was convinced they'd come just
to see her.
I hope you are settling in well in Florida and you and your cats will be
happy there.

Tweed

Old August 13th 15, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

dgk wrote:

[...]

Don't you have more cats then you're allowed to? Maybe this is a blessing
in disguise.

--
Joyce

Whenever you feel anger, you should say, "May I be free of this
anger!" This rarely works, but talking to yourself in public will
encourage others to leave you alone.
Old August 14th 15, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 19:50:26 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

dgk wrote:
...t.

No, I say, I really do have cats. Yes, yes, of course you do, and they
look at each other knowingly. But someday I'll prove it to them.
Someday Scooter will walk out of wherever it is that he's spying on
us, and will reveal his pretty face for all the world to see.

But apparently it won't be today.

They're all so weird.

Don't you have more cats then you're allowed to? Maybe this is a blessing
in disguise.

Yes, that's true. But we have a cover story. Two of them officially
belong to my mother, but she's too old to really take care of them so
I'm just holding them. Together we're allowed 4 cats.
Old August 14th 15, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 13:52:59 -0230, Cheryl
wrote:
..
They're all so weird.

One of my cats was so shy that the cat-sitter ransacked the house
looking for her because she hadn't even seen her and thought she might
have escaped or been sick or something. Sometimes, when she was feeling
very bold, she'd lurk cautiously at the top of the stairs and peer down.
This was when there were strangers in the house, and by strangers, she
meant anyone but me, even if they'd visited before. When I was there by
myself, she was a perfectly friendly and affectionate cat.

Cheryl

I did that once. I was sitting for Serene's cats and suddenly realized
that she had a big grey cat like Nipsy and I hadn't seen him in three
days. It was a very small apartment and I searched everywhere but
couldn't find him. I called up Serene and she said not to worry, he
was definitely there when they left and I'd likely never find him. It
turns out that he knew how to climb into the center of the couch.
Old August 14th 15, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 15:22:54 -0400, "JJ" wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Do I have to pick just one? So far the visitors have mostly been
family and contractors. The family is weird, the contractors seem
mostly normal. Plus I had a cleaning person in.who seemed mostly
normal.

No, it's the cats. They specialize in being strange.