Opinions please

Old October 26th 04, 12:33 AM
Yoj

Default Opinions please

I know I have to make the decision myself, but I'd like to collect some
opinions before I do so.

Here's the situation. Since Skeeter went to the Rainbow Bridge, Lindy
has been an "only cat". She seems to like that, which isn't too
surprising. She joined the family when Skeeter had been hear for a
couple of years, and it didn't take two weeks to establish that Lindy
was now head cat. They tolerated each other, and would sometimes lie
only an inch or two from each other, but they never cuddled or groomed
the other.

I know that sooner or later I'll get another cat. However, I was
putting it off, because I'm going to Australia, probably for four weeks,
in April. I thought it wouldn't be too nice to leave a relatively new
cat for such a long time. However, Lindy has turned into a lap fungus
and is usually close to me when I'm home. She used to sit in my lap
briefly once or twice a week. Now it's two or three times a day, and
often for an extended period of time. Now I'm worrying that she might
be lonely if she doesn't have company all the time I'm gone.

When I travel, the boy next door comes over once or twice a day and
feeds whatever cats I have at the time. He also pets them if they want
petting. (Skeeter usually hid) However, that's a long time alone, and
considering that I get greeted when I come home from the market, I'm
wondering if I shouldn't get Lindy a companion fairly soon so she won't
be alone when I go. Of course I realize there's no guarantee that she
and the new cat would be best buddies.

What do you guys think?

Joy

Old October 26th 04, 01:01 AM
Yowie

"Yoj" wrote in message
[...]

Thats about 6 months for a new cat to settle in - can't see a problem there.
And I'm sure Lindy will appreciate the company.

Yowie

Old October 26th 04, 02:15 AM
Victor Martinez

Yoj wrote:
What do you guys think?

I would get two littermates, young ones. Seriously. They will provide
company *and* keep each other occupied if Lindy wants to be left alone.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 26th 04, 02:17 AM
Yoj

"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message

Since you aren't going until April, I would get the new cat right

away.

I think it's only fair to warn you that the cats may take quite a

while to
become adjusted to each other, so you need to allow for that. It took
weeks (seemed like months at the time!) for Mandy and Betsy to get on.

kept one in the bathroom when I wasn't at home, and let them 'get
aquainted' when I was home. I nearly gave up because of the fights.

When I
talked about it to the vet, she told me not to attempt to referee cat
battles, but just to ensure they had safe places to hide and let them
settle their own differences. It worked. I think the companionship

they
have was worth the initial settling-in problems, but you need time to
allow for the problems, too.

I usually have a friend come in like you do when I have to be away,

but
when I had to travel after I got Mandy but before I got Betsy, I left

her
with friends rather than leave her in the house alone. Absolute

saints,
they were, too, since Mandy went into heat unexpectedly, just before

her
spay date which was just after I got home. They kept her in, even

though
she is an extremely determined and loud and mouthy cat at the best of
times. I can just imagine what she was like in heat. I *asked* about
earlier spaying, too, but it was 'Oh, Doctor doesn't like spaying them

too
young.' She was 6 months old. Oh, well, no harm done.

--
Cheryl

Thanks, Cheryl. I suspect you're right. Yes, I'd say your friends were
saints. Are they still friends? G

Joy