A dreadful thing has happened

Old November 7th 13, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default A dreadful thing has happened

The Other Guy wrote:
On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 18:16:39 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I sometimes wonder if big dogs in rescue are really checked out enough

While "NOT thought to be a banned breed"??

It sure LOOKED like a pit bull.
AND had a history of being 'abused', both HUGE red flags,
or should have been.

NEVER heard of a house cat killing anyone.

Dunno about killing, but they sure can inflict a lot of damage, even
without intending to! (Of course, however "mellow" the pet, and
"responsible" the child, I don't believe small children and pets should
be left alone together, unsupervised.) I must have been about three
when my father found me kicking a kitten that was trapped in the outdoor
well of a basement window. I don't remember what he said to me, but it
certainly made an impression, since I never mistreated an animal again.
(Unless you count dressing my long-suffering male cat in doll clothes
and taking him for rides in a doll-buggy - but he was old enough to
run off when he'd had enough.)

To reply by email, lose the Ks...

---

Old November 7th 13, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

He was also very protective of me. He didn't like men. At one time my
brother and I were roomates. Sammy certainly knew my brother. Yet one
day my brother reached across the couch to hand something to me. Sampson
interpreted it as a threatening move. He started snarling and bared his
teeth. The point is, you just don't know what a dog, trained or not,
familiar or not, might be thinking.

Jill

Certainly, until you're SURE how both the dog and the child will behave
toward one another, you don't leave them alone together unsupervised -
that's just plain common sense!
Old November 7th 13, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

I still don't believe most of the "a cat will smother a baby" stories.
Certainly not a cat will suck the breath out of a baby. Such tales
smack of old wivery. If you've got an infant and a cat, it's easy
enough to close the door to the nursery when baby goes down for a nap.

Jill

I suspect those tales actually stemmed from cases of SIDS. Unless the
cat were simply ENORMOUS, a healthy baby would struggle free of the
weight before it smothered.
Old November 7th 13, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

m...

jmcquown wrote:

I still don't believe most of the "a cat will smother a baby" stories.
Certainly not a cat will suck the breath out of a baby. Such tales smack
of old wivery. If you've got an infant and a cat, it's easy enough to
close the door to the nursery when baby goes down for a nap.

Jill

I suspect those tales actually stemmed from cases of SIDS. Unless the
cat were simply ENORMOUS, a healthy baby would struggle free of the
weight before it smothered.

~~~~~~~
I have read a theory that this particular old wives' tale may have started
when people saw cats licking around a baby's mouth--probably licking the
residue of milk, and the superstition started that the cat was "sucking the
life" out of the baby.

MaryL

Old November 7th 13, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
news[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote in message ...

wrote:

I sometimes wonder if big dogs in rescue are really checked out enough

While "NOT thought to be a banned breed"??

It sure LOOKED like a pit bull.
AND had a history of being 'abused', both HUGE red flags,
or should have been.

It was not a pit bull so let's stop blaming them for everything, eh?

Tweed

~~~~~~~~
The picture looked like a pit bull, but one of the comments (apparently from
someone who was familiar with the tragedy) said that the picture was not the
actual dog involved.

From the *actual* picture in another article, it is , and was stated to be,
a "French Mastiff" or properly, a Dogue de Bordeaux.

Old November 7th 13, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
In a village not far from me. A recently adopted dog from a rescue
centre has killed a 4 year old girl and apparently the mother had to
stab the dog to get it off her. My heart goes out to them. Imagine
having to stab your dog to try and save your child, it doesn't bear
thinking about but of course you would do it.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...73/Four-year-o
ld-girl-killed-by-pet-dog-at-home.html

I sometimes wonder if big dogs in rescue are really checked out enough
because, let's face it, they have a difficult history and that's why
they are there. Reporters are swarming all over the rescue centre with
difficult questions for them. But actually, even a small dog could kill
you if it went crazy and so could a cat if it ripped you to bits and
wouldn't stop. I am very sad here tonight.

Tweed

It really is terrible. It must have been so horrific. Everyone must be
feeling so guilty. The little girl is said to have adored the dog. They'd
only had it two months. As you say, with a rescue dog you don't know their
history although the neighbours have said it seemed a nice docile dog.

A real tragedy. Perhaps it could have been avoided, perhaps not.

Judith

Here's the latest from my local radio station:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-24850320

They are saying it was a bulldog, they are usually very good with children.
Nüle has 6 bulldogs and AFAIK their temperaments are perfect. One of hers
has the German equivalent of the CDex obedience award and is working towards
higher.
Rescue dogs always come with a history and you don't always know what that
is. The two rescue dogs I've had certainly had issues, one I would have
trusted with children, one I definitely wouldn't.
My heart goes out to everyone involved in this tragedy.

Tweed

Old November 10th 13, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...g-at-home.html

I sometimes wonder if big dogs in rescue are really checked out enough
because, let's face it, they have a difficult history and that's why they
are there.
Reporters are swarming all over the rescue centre with difficult questions
for them.
But actually, even a small dog could kill you if it went crazy and so
could a cat if it ripped you to bits and wouldn't stop.
I am very sad here tonight.

Tweed

well, I have discussed this with my friend June today and apparently the dog
is accused of attacking the child while she was asleep. No dog would do
this. But some dogs will attack if children scream. June thinks there is
more to this than meets the eye, and I agree, but it's a tragedy anyway.

A dog such as this, a big bulldog-type picked up as a stray with no known
history should never have been rehomed with a child in an apartment but it
is easy to have hindsight.
I am not familiar with the kennels that did this either.

I knew immediately when the dog could not could be got off the child that it
would be a bull breed of some sort, and it's not their fault, they are bred
to hang on. But they would not attack a sleeping child, no way _ but I don't
know whether that report is correct. I have never known any dog to attack a
sleeping child.