Boyfie notices a spider

Old May 10th 12, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Boyfie notices a spider

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I am not scared of snakes either, it's just the big spiders.
I was proud of myself for tackling that huge girl with the little web
she
had set up, without any harm to either of us.
She was there for weeks only because I couldn't face my fear. There she
was,
every day, crouching in her web and watching me when I washed the
dishes.

"Could that be prey? Come closer, and touch my web... why won't it come
over here??"

Now I'm curious, what do you mean by "huge"? I'm thinking that a judgement
about size is relative to whatever a person is used to. Eg, when I lived
in Massachusetts, the spiders I saw there were fairly small - maybe 1/2
inch
(1.27 cm) from one end to the other (including the legs). They were also
fairly pale-colored and not easy to notice. When I first moved to
California,
I was a little unnerved by these dark black, highly visible spiders that
were maybe 2 inches across, including the legs. (They might have been a
bit
larger, but I didn't exactly get close to them with a ruler. ) So to me,
those spiders were "huge", but I'm sure people in the American Southwest
(Arizona, and other desert states) - not to mention parts of Australia,
South America and Southeast Asia, to name a few - would laugh at that
notion.

So, let's get specific here. Approximately what was the length of your
visitor, legs and all?

3 inches or so. Plenty big enough to give me the heebie-jeebies. ISTR the
girls grow bigger than the boys.
She looked like this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...chnid-invasion

Tweed

Old May 10th 12, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

So, let's get specific here. Approximately what was the length of your
visitor, legs and all?

3 inches or so. Plenty big enough to give me the heebie-jeebies. ISTR the
girls grow bigger than the boys.

Oh my! That's pretty big from my perspective. No wonder you have the heebie
jeebies. I never thought of the UK as having *any* scary wildlife. I guess
I'm going to have to revise that belief.

She looked like this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...chnid-invasion

Spiders do have a certain graceful look to their legs, the way they point
up at one of the joints. I think they're interesting, as long as I'm looking
at a 2-dimensional photo.

Funny article.

--
Joyce

"Bacteria, with a few more bells and whistles."
-- Bonnie Bassler, describing human beings
Old May 11th 12, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 05/10/2012 04:14 PM, Bastette wrote:
MLB wrote:

When I was a kid, my mother told me that spiders were caused by "evil
thoughts". I had no idea what that meant. LOL/ MLB

What a strange thing to say! Even if you didn't know what she meant,
you must have known that it couldn't be good, right?

How does one "cause" a spider, anyway?

Old superstitions. MLB
Old May 12th 12, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

MLB wrote:

When I was a kid, my mother told me that spiders were caused by

"evil
thoughts". I had no idea what that meant. LOL/ MLB

What a strange thing to say! Even if you didn't know what she meant,
you must have known that it couldn't be good, right?

How does one "cause" a spider, anyway?

Old superstitions. MLB

After this conversation I found a spider in my bath when I went up to bed.
I was only an inch so I got it in a towel next morning and flapped it out of
my window. I can do the inch ones. But once they get much bigger, like my
three inch girl, I don't like it.
The fact is, if you live alone, you may have to evict big spiders, my late
husband used to do this for me. He had no fear.
One of my brothers is terrified by them, the other has no problem. Unluckily
the nearest brother is the one more frightened than I am.
Tweed

Old May 12th 12, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

I've got a couple of friends with severe arachnophobia- alas they are
both Tolkein fans. Apparently when went to see the "Lord of the
Rings" film that features Shelob they both had to hide and ask other
watchers to let them know "When the scary spider has gone away"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old May 12th 12, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

After this conversation I found a spider in my bath when I went up to bed.
I was only an inch so I got it in a towel next morning and flapped it out of
my window. I can do the inch ones. But once they get much bigger, like my
three inch girl, I don't like it.

Tweed, I would be pretty freaked to find a 3-inch spider in my house, too!

One time I went camping at a campground that had rustic cabins. There
was a spider, about the same size as your girl, on the wall right above
my cot. There was no way I was going to sleep under that! I swear, this
spider wasn't just big, but multi-colored. It was striped blue and red.
Well, maybe that was the fear talking. But that's how I remember it!

Luckily, someone else staying in the same cabin wasn't afraid of it at
all and she took the spider gently in her (bare) hands, brought it outside
and released it.

The fact is, if you live alone, you may have to evict big spiders, my late
husband used to do this for me. He had no fear.

Whereas a friend of mine (female) is the one who takes care of the spiders
in her house, because her partner (male) is too scared.

One of my brothers is terrified by them, the other has no problem. Unluckily
the nearest brother is the one more frightened than I am.

For the most part, I'm more afraid/shuddery about crawling insects and
other arthropods than by flying ones. One exception to that is wasps. A
few years ago I was visiting my sister and a wasp got into the house.
She asked me to shoo it out and I said I was too afraid of it to do that.
She replied, "I'm more scared of it than you are." I looked at her, and
she was sitting on the couch with this look of absolute terror, and I
realized that she was right. I had to be the "strong one". So I shooed
out the wasp (luckily it was right on the inside of the screen door, so
that wasn't so hard).

But wasps don't bother me in the same way as spiders and ants. I'm actually
*afraid* of getting stung. With big spiders or a mass ant infestation, I'm
not scared - I know nothing bad is going to happen to me. I just get very
creeped out, like my skin is crawling. It's a different feeling.

--
Joyce

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better
for it. -- Abraham Lincoln
Old May 13th 12, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On May 12, 2:06*pm, Bastette wrote:
.. One exception to that is wasps.

Dave's terrified of wasps- many years ago back before mobile phones
etc I got a call at work from a phone box asking me to rush home as
Dave had seen a wasp and ran out the door, slamming it behind him to
escape the wasp. When he finally stopped rejoicing that he had
escaped the wasp it occured to him that his keys were inside the flat
and he was completely and utterly naked....he had to knock on the flat
next door and when the woman in there came to the door he told her not
to open it but could she just call this number from the pay phone?
And could she not leave her flat for 5 minutes while he scurried off
to the shower room where he had to sit for well over an hour before I
got there with my spare keys and he still wouldn't go in until I went
in and chased the wasp out the window!

Old May 15th 12, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lesley" wrote in message
[...]

***

I'm sure it wasn't at all funny to him, and still isn't. I know phobias are
beyond anyone's control. Still, I can't help chuckling.

Joy

Old May 15th 12, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley" wrote in message
On May 9, 10:59 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
.. She looked at me every day when I wanted to use my
spices.

She probably moved towards the vibration you were making- spiders have
very poor eyesight

Lesley
__________
No, she didn't move at all, she just crouched there with her huge legs and
*looked* at me. She was there for quite a few weeks because tackling a
spider of this size was very scary for me but eventually the loins were
girded and she was evicted with no harm to herself. I had the shudders for
a few minutes afterwards though.
Tweed

Old May 15th 12, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

wrote:
. She looked at me every day when I wanted to use my
spices.

She probably moved towards the vibration you were making- spiders have
very poor eyesight

Lesley
No, she didn't move at all, she just crouched there with her huge legs and
*looked* at me. She was there for quite a few weeks because tackling a
spider of this size was very scary for me but eventually the loins were
girded and she was evicted with no harm to herself. I had the shudders for
a few minutes afterwards though.
Tweed

The summer I was 17 I took on the task of cleaning our large double garage. It hadn't been done in years. In the course of the one afternoon, I dispatched 28 black widow spiders. I hate spiders, but SLC had an "epidemic" of them at that time./ I hate spiders. MLB