Please let me properly introduce myself

Old February 23rd 05, 03:12 AM
Victor Martinez

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
My favorite salsa is pico de gallo, which is basically tomatoes, onions, and
cilantro.

No, no, no! You can't have salsa without chiles. Must have chiles,
otherwise it's just a relish or something... ;-)

I'm getting to the point where old standbys like Pace salsa just don't do it

Ewww... if given the choice of Pace or no salsa, I choose no salsa. My
MIL learned that lesson soon in our relationship...

Since moving to Colorado (and living with DH, who adores spicy foods), I've
developed a serious fondness for green chili, too. I'd never even heard of it
before moving here.

I make a mean green chile stew with Hatch chiles.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 23rd 05, 03:14 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-23, Mary penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

I'm getting to the point where old standbys like Pace salsa just
don't do it for me; I much prefer the refrigerated stuff with an
expiration date.

My favorite (I am not a Salsa gourmet!) is Old El Paso Thick and
Chunky Medium! I also cook with it. Lentil soup is fab with just a
splash of this stuff after the lentils have gotten soft (30 minutes)
then with just a sprinkle of cheddar cheese on top.

Great minds think alike! I dumped a bunch of refrigerated salsa into some
(canned, though) lentil soup. Not bad. Traditionally I've just used vinegar
and Maggi to season lentil soup.

I blame living in Colorado; you get spoiled for pseudo-mexican stuff
pretty quickly. Since moving to Colorado (and living with DH, who
adores spicy foods), I've developed a serious fondness for green
chili, too. I'd never even heard of it before moving here.

What is green chili?

Oooooh. What is green chili? What is green chili????

Well, um, I'm actually not sure. It's green, and it has a distinctively spicy
flavor, and you can either drench your foods in it like a sauce or eat with a
spoon, like a soup or the other (red) kind of chili. I like to eat it as a
soup with tortillas or corn chips, but it's also great on burritos and other
foods I shouldn't be eating. Almost anything mexican-ish tastes even better
with green chili (in my opinion, of course).

And sometimes it's not even really green, as when there are lots of tomatillos
in it. But the flavor is still of green chili.

Here's an example of a green chili recipe (note: I haven't tried this one).

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes...i-coll.html#15

Note that almost everything is measured in teaspoons or tablespoons, whereas
the recipe calls for FOUR POUNDS of green chilis.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 23rd 05, 03:18 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-23, Susan M penned:
That sounds AMAZING!!!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

What defines a mole?

It seems like I tried a mole chili recipe (is that possible?) that involved
cocoa powder, and it was really not good. So bad, in fact, that I had to have
DH scrub the pot, because the smell triggered my gag reflex.

But maybe I have my terminology mixed up.

"pistor" wrote in message
oups.com...
Victor's easy green mole

1 lb tomatillos, washed and shucked
1 qt chicken broth
serrano peppers to taste (I use 4 or 5)
1 cup raw, shelled pumpkin seeds
1 bunch of cilantro

Boil the tomatillos and peppers in the chicken broth until cooked.
Toast or fry the seeds in a hot pan until cooked. Puree the seeds with
some of the broth until they form a smooth paste. Blend the tomatillos
and the seed paste with enough broth to make a thick sauce. Heat some
oil in a dutch oven and add the sauce once the oil is very hot. Let
simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt, if needed. Take a ladlefull of
mole and put it in the blender with the cilantro. Purree and return to
the pot. Serve with your favorite grilled meat and corn tortillas.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 23rd 05, 03:18 AM
PatM

My favorite (I am not a Salsa gourmet!) is Old El Paso Thick and
Chunky Medium! I also cook with it. Lentil soup is fab with just a
splash of this stuff after the lentils have gotten soft (30 minutes)
then
with just a sprinkle of cheddar cheese on top.

Has anyone tried Wal-mart brand black bean and corn salsa? And Safeway
has a peach salsa that is yummy. I love to make my own mango salsa
too, but I'm the only one who eats it around here!LOL PatM

Old February 23rd 05, 03:21 AM
Cheryl

On Tue 22 Feb 2005 07:43:31p, Shiral wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
oups.com):

For dessert, try some shortbread: Dr. Atkins would shrivel with
horror, of course. But if you want to live dangerously, here's
the recipe anyway:
preheat oven to 300 F.
2 sticks butter (must be butter)
*1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup regular flour
**1/4 cup rice flour
*I recently tried a variation of using light brown sugar in this
recipe, and it was quite good. =o)
**Look for rice flour at natural food stores or places that
sell spices in bulk, or in the baking ingredients aisle at your
local grocery store. If you can't find it, it's not a disaster.
Just use 2 cups of regular flour and the shortbread will still
be very good. I use rice flour because it makes the cookies a
little more crisp and delicate when they're baked.

Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together, then gradually
sift in the flour, until it is all incorporated. These cookies
are much easier to handle when you pop the dough in the
refrigerator and chill it for ten to fifteen minutes. Roll out
the dough, and cut cookies in any shapes you wish. Bake the
cookies for about 15 minutes, or until the edges are light
brown. The recipe makes 15-24 cookies, depending on how thin
you roll the dough, and how large a cookie cutter you use.
They're delicious with milk or with a cup of hot tea or coffee.

Melissa

Excellent recipe! A keeper!!

--
Cheryl
Old February 23rd 05, 03:21 AM
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On 2005-02-23, Mary penned:

Nope! I have never used coriander seeds in anything and I when I

choose
salsa at a burrito place I chose one that leaves fresh cilantro out

because
I do not care for it. I have never made fresh salsa, I like the

kind in the
jar too much.

Oof.

My favorite salsa is pico de gallo, which is basically tomatoes,

onions, and
cilantro.

I'm getting to the point where old standbys like Pace salsa just

don't do it
for me; I much prefer the refrigerated stuff with an expiration date.

I blame
living in Colorado; you get spoiled for pseudo-mexican stuff pretty

quickly.
Since moving to Colorado (and living with DH, who adores spicy

foods), I've
developed a serious fondness for green chili, too. I'd never even

heard of it
before moving here.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Ooh, Monique, do I have a recipe for YOU!

Pico De Gallo (for a party, since it's a large recipe)

6 tomatoes - chopped
1 lg onion - chopped
2 cloves garlic - chopped
1/2 c chopped green chilis
juice of 1/2 lime
1 teas Cumin
1/4 "bunch" Cilantro (or to taste) leaves only
2 teas chicken buillion

Mix all ingredients in a large plastic (tupperware) bowl. Add a bit of
salt if wanted. You can switch out the green chilis with jalapenos if
you like, but this is absolutely wonderful stuff. It is pretty mild
when first mixed, and will warm up (spice up) if stored in the fridge
for a couple of days.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Old February 23rd 05, 03:26 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-23, Victor Martinez penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
My favorite salsa is pico de gallo, which is basically tomatoes, onions,
and cilantro.

No, no, no! You can't have salsa without chiles. Must have chiles,
otherwise it's just a relish or something... ;-)

Okay, fine, but I like pico. So there!

I wonder if it's rude to just call it pico. I'm not sure what the literal
translation is, and the spanish-to-english dictionary doesn't seem to be much
help.

There's a fast food place around here called Qdoba's. The first time I heard
them advertising their "three-cheese queso," I turned to DH and asked, "But
doesn't queso already mean cheese? So aren't they just saying three-cheese
cheese?" He agreed. Just odd.

He speaks some spanish from high school, and he always makes a point of saying
gracias or something when speaking to someone who he believes is mexican, like
for example a waiter. I've always wondered if that would be welcome or
annoying. Hrm, I should ask 'em. Bet DH would love that ...

Okay, enough of free-association topic changes from Monique for today ...

I'm getting to the point where old standbys like Pace salsa just don't do
it

Ewww... if given the choice of Pace or no salsa, I choose no salsa. My MIL
learned that lesson soon in our relationship...

Hehe. DH will still eat Pace's. I figure that leaves more of the good stuff
for me!

When I asked him to buy some refrigerated salsa for a recipe, one of the
containers he got featured scotch bonnet peppers as an ingredient. He didn't
believe me when I said it was "a mite zippy" until he tried it. I'd never
seen him turn red from peppers before!

Since moving to Colorado (and living with DH, who adores spicy foods), I've
developed a serious fondness for green chili, too. I'd never even heard of
it before moving here.

I make a mean green chile stew with Hatch chiles.

So, where did you say you lived and when am I welcome to be there? I'll bring
my own bowl and spoon!

.... maybe I should find out what Hatch chiles are first, and whether or not I
need to procure life insurance before tasting them.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 23rd 05, 03:27 AM
Mary

"PatM" wrote:
Has anyone tried Wal-mart brand black bean and corn salsa?

No! Sounds great. I don't know if our Walmarts have food.

And Safeway
has a peach salsa that is yummy. I love to make my own mango salsa
too, but I'm the only one who eats it around here!LOL PatM

I have never tried this either. It is kind of hard to imagine.

Old February 23rd 05, 03:30 AM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:52:34 -0000, "Christina Websell"
yodeled:

Yowie wrote:
"L. (usenetlyn)" wrote in message
oups.com...

jmcquown wrote:

It's too bad cilantro tastes like soap to me. I understand it's a
genetic thing. (sigh)

Jill

Ok - here's another question. Do you like Earl Grey tea? Bergamot
seems to have the same aromatic essences as cilanto, to some extent,
though I know they are not related.

I just ask because the smell/taste of cilantro and bergamot are two
of my favorites.

Mmm... I *love* Earl Grey, and like Lady Grey even better.

Yowie

I love cilantro (here we call it coriander)

Acksually, coriander is the seed.

but Earl Grey tastes like
washing powder water to me, I hate it. Maybe I have half of the soap gene.

Tweed

Theresa
Old February 23rd 05, 03:31 AM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:03:47 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"
yodeled:

On 2005-02-22, Christina Websell penned:

I love cilantro (here we call it coriander) but Earl Grey tastes like
washing powder water to me, I hate it. Maybe I have half of the soap gene.

Tweed

Wait, I'm confused. I've bought cilantro, and it's a parsley-looking green
leafy thing. And then I have a bottle of coriander; it's a bunch of round
pellet-looking things, I think. *confused*

Again, cilantro is the leaf, coriander is the seed.

Theresa