I don't know about you, but...

Old November 17th 11, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default I don't know about you, but...

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

This past Thursday I went to Kohl's to buy some jeans and undies for
both myself and hubby - I had headphones on listening to Pandora's
comedy channel. When I went in I heard music, but I ignored it, and did
my shopping in peaceful bliss laughing my @$$ off to George Carlin,
Lewis Black, Daniel Tosh (he of Comedy Central's Tosh.0) to name a few.

I didn't take my headphones off until I was checking out (call me rude
if you want, but I was minding my own business to begin with)... the
music I could barely hear and had been ignoring the whole time was
CHRISTMAS MUSIC.... [snip]

Once they start piping in "Jingle Bell Rock" and the like, I will not
go into a retail establishment unless armed with a fully-charged ipod.

--
Joyce

The problem with cats is that they get the exact same look on their
face whether they see a moth or an axe-murderer.
-- Paula Poundstone
Old November 17th 11, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 11/16/2011 03:12 PM, Winnie wrote:
On Nov 16, 9:45 am, wrote:
I'm sick to death already of seeing Christmas movies, Christmas shopping
commercials, etc. when it's not even American Thanksgiving yet. We're
barely past Halloween!

John will be here over Christmas. I promised him we could have a tree. (I
wonder what Persia will think of that?) I haven't put up a Christmas tree
in 30 years. I have antique glass ornaments my parents stored in the attic
(if the heat didn't shatter them). But all this early Christmas stuff on
television is making me remember why I hate the "holiday" in general. It's
so commercial. Buy, buy, buy! Layaway! No, we aren't going to exchange
gifts. The only reason I agreed to put up a tree is because John wants one.

For many years my nod to the holiday has been to hang a wreath on my door.

Now I'm going to have to move Persia's pet steps at the window in the dining
room to make room for a live tree. Obviously we won't have tinsel on the
tree. And the only thing in the water at the tree base will be sugar. I'll
use my wooden and fabric ornaments; things she can't break if she decides to
bat at them. Sorry Mom, Dad. I won't be using your glass ornaments.

Christmas isn't even here and already I'm tired of it.

Jill

Before I adopted Rusty (RB), I got a tree for Christmas. But I did not
get a
tree after I had Rusty. Nor did I get any poinsettia. The only
decoration was
a wreath on my door. Now that Rusty is gone, I do not feel like
getting a tree again.
I did get a pot of poinsettia last year. The first one in 15 years.

We Canadians already have our Thanksgiving in October, so the stores
now
are really into Christmas. The only problem is since there is no snow
yet,
many people do not feel like shopping for Christmas

Winnie

I do not have time to think about Christmas I have eight birthdays to
remember. We have always made a big thing about birthdays (except mine)
and now with all the "greats" it's getting a little heavy. And
December 19 will be TuTu's "acquisition day". I also remember the
passing to the Bridge of Princess on Nov, 19...a very sad day. MLB
Old November 17th 11, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MLB wrote:

On 11/16/2011 03:12 PM, Winnie wrote:

We Canadians already have our Thanksgiving in October, so the stores
now
are really into Christmas. The only problem is since there is no snow
yet,
many people do not feel like shopping for Christmas

I do not have time to think about Christmas I have eight birthdays to
remember. We have always made a big thing about birthdays (except mine)

Oh, how sad! Why not yours too?

and now with all the "greats" it's getting a little heavy. And
December 19 will be TuTu's "acquisition day".

LOL, that sounds like a corporate merger. (But I know what you mean.)

I also remember the
passing to the Bridge of Princess on Nov, 19...a very sad day. MLB

Purrs...

--
Joyce

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going
somewhere. -- Groucho Marx
Old November 17th 11, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Nov 16, 5:57*pm, wrote:

* Before I adopted Rusty (RB), I got a tree for Christmas. But I did not
* get a
* tree after I had Rusty. Nor did I get any poinsettia. The only
* decoration was
* a wreath on my door. Now that Rusty is gone, I do not feel like
* getting a tree again.
* I did get a pot of poinsettia last year. The first one in 15 years.

* We Canadians already have our Thanksgiving in October, so the stores
* now
* are really into Christmas. The only problem is since there is no snow
* yet,
* many people do not feel like shopping for Christmas

We never have snow! (I'm sure you remember that.) After 19 years, I
still feel like a green Christmas is just *wrong*.

Oh yes I remember.
We do have green Christmas here, at least once that I can remember.
Right now it is unusually warm for this time of the year - just weeks
from Christmas. I am not wearing a winter coat nor my winter boots.
Half the time I don't need to turn on the heat. Really strange
weather.
But I am not complaining. Just enjoy still able to take walks outside.

Winnie

But I guess Yowie and Tish and others have a bigger complaint. It may not
snow here, but at least it's not swimming weather!

--
Joyce

Fluffy Mackerel Pudding - "Once upon a time, the world was young and the
words 'mackerel' and 'pudding' existed far, far away from one another. One
day, that all changed. And then, whoever was responsible somehow thought
the word 'fluffy' would help." *-- Hilarious recipes at:www.candyboots.com

Old November 17th 11, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
news[_8_]

On 11/16/2011 9:45 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Ha! I work for a retail business (admin and tech support and purchasing)
so we deal with Christmas all year long. In January we will start buying
for Christmas 2012 (I'm already done with Valentine's Day and Easter
2012), and holiday product will start arriving in the summer.
Sugar in tree water attracts molds and fungi. Plain water is the only
thing you need to use.
Old November 17th 11, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Nov 16, 2:45*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:

Christmas isn't even here and already I'm tired of it.

Same here- I started seeing Christmas cards in shops in September!
Although I appreciate for many shops it's the big money spinner and
times are hard on the high street so they want to get as much money
out of it as possible if I ruled the World it would be illegal to
display anything remotely festive until the 1st of December at the
very earliest- it really spoils it for me that there's almost a 2-
month run up to it

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old November 17th 11, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Lesley Madigan wrote:
On Nov 16, 2:45 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Christmas isn't even here and already I'm tired of it.

Same here- I started seeing Christmas cards in shops in September!
Although I appreciate for many shops it's the big money spinner and
times are hard on the high street so they want to get as much money
out of it as possible if I ruled the World it would be illegal to
display anything remotely festive until the 1st of December at the
very earliest- it really spoils it for me that there's almost a 2-
month run up to it

Some stores in the U.S. begin displaying Christmas merchandise alongside
of Halloween! (I remember when I was a kid hearing the grownups
complain that Santa's arrival at the local airport on Thanksgiving Day
was rushing the season far too much - but at least that was more-or-less
adjacent to the first Sunday in Advent.)

Old November 17th 11, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

jmcquown wrote:

*snip*

At least its still technically winter in Florida.

Nope. It's not technically winter in the US (north or south) until
December 22nd. I'd like to see the changing of the leaves again.
Everything is perpetually green here. It's boring.

At least *Christmas* is still in winter - although I do know how you feel.
Except for a few imported trees, all our trees are evergreen (ie, eucalypts
and related species) too. Even in our (very small) alpine region, the
eucalypts are evergreen.

Your seasons are off-set by 22 days to ours. Our seasons start on the 1st of
the month - so our summer starts December 1.

Yowie

Old November 18th 11, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

Your seasons are off-set by 22 days to ours. Our seasons start on the 1st of
the month - so our summer starts December 1.

Interesting - the first day of each of our seasons coincides with the
solstices or equinoxes. And I would expect yours to occur at the same
times ours do (except for the solstices being reversed), since the
southern hemisphere is tilting back and forth along with the northern.
Does Australia just have a different convention? Or is it the same
throughout the southern hemisphere?

--
Joyce

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth
concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.
-- Louis D. Brandeis