I don't know about you, but...

Old November 16th 11, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default I don't know about you, but...

I'm sick to death already of seeing Christmas movies, Christmas shopping
commercials, etc. when it's not even American Thanksgiving yet. We're
barely past Halloween!

John will be here over Christmas. I promised him we could have a tree. (I
wonder what Persia will think of that?) I haven't put up a Christmas tree
in 30 years. I have antique glass ornaments my parents stored in the attic
(if the heat didn't shatter them). But all this early Christmas stuff on
television is making me remember why I hate the "holiday" in general. It's
so commercial. Buy, buy, buy! Layaway! No, we aren't going to exchange
gifts. The only reason I agreed to put up a tree is because John wants one.

For many years my nod to the holiday has been to hang a wreath on my door.

Now I'm going to have to move Persia's pet steps at the window in the dining
room to make room for a live tree. Obviously we won't have tinsel on the
tree. And the only thing in the water at the tree base will be sugar. I'll
use my wooden and fabric ornaments; things she can't break if she decides to
bat at them. Sorry Mom, Dad. I won't be using your glass ornaments.

Christmas isn't even here and already I'm tired of it.

Jill

Old November 16th 11, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Agreed walked in Wally world and they had it looks at lot like Christmas
playing. I started to LOL not here in Florida ;-)

Old November 16th 11, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I love Christmas, but I don't want to start thinking about it until after
Thanksgiving. It seems the promotions get earlier every year. I saw many
Christmas items in the stores a week before Halloween! Our local outdoor
mall had its Christmas tree lighting ceremony last week, for pete's sake!

Joy

Old November 16th 11, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 11/16/2011 1:34 PM, hopitus wrote:

Growing up in south FL the only inkling we had of where live holiday
trees came down to us from
was the huge semi trailers arriving to the "stands" and retailers who
sold them; we used to sneak into
the trailers and grab snow off the floors and trees, make snowballs
out of it (of course we had no idea
what we were doing with that) and throw them at each other before the
driver or store employees chased
us out. FL has no concept of "choose and cut down your own" like more
northern states; those trees
don't thrive in the FL heat. I do remember that when it neared the
holiday, kind tree-stand sellers would
gruffly tell people looking but not able to buy their wares, "pick one
out, no charge" or actually beckon
parents to take a tree (all trees were beginning to lose their needles
from standing in, yeah, the FL
warmth, and were beyond much further appealing appearance for
decorating) to great delight of kids.
For no reason I am aware of, most of the semis had MI and PA plates.
Tree farms.

Yeah, growing up in the south at Christmas time really sucked as a child.

Sorry, I enjoy both the displays and the familiar tunes of the season
and don't resent the "buy, buy, buy"
retail message; this is - in continuing rotten economy - main and only
opportunity for profit-making from
an event-based time frame.

It's why the day after Thanksgiving is called "Black Friday" - it's
usually the first time in the year that manufacturing companies actually
start to turn a profit and aren't "in the red" any more. Every bad
"Black Friday" drags the economy down more and more so I, for one, am
glad that there are people still willing and able to "throw away" money
for all the silliness.

On a less financial outlook, when I was working over the years, a
strange phenomenen occurred over and
over with patients I would be working on who had potentially lethal
diseases; during holiday season they
would suddenly inform me (a uniformed medical employee they had never
set eyes on before) "I just want
to last till (either of the two biggie holidays) and enjoy it one more
time". People get sentimental over it all
and since I moved to this frozen cultural wasteland to be with my
remaining relatives I'm gonna live it up
with them all, eating unwisely, and my single Drambouie shot at both
get-togethers.
All annoyed to any extent, for any reasons, by the sights and sounds
lately, "Que lastima, probecito/a!"
"Feliz Navidad!" So sue me; my biggest asset is gray, weighs 28#, and
bites when the mood strikes him.

And contrary to popular beliefs, the suicide rate does not rise during
the holidays.

Christmas always made me sad because of all the stuff I didn't have -
not really material things (though honesty must admit that I was and am
a bit envious of all those who had every latest toy and gadget and
seemed so blase about it all). It was what I lacked in love and family.
My dad died when I was four and my mother was SO dysfunctional I was
actually the parent in the relationship. My brothers were WAY older
than me and we never visited aunts or uncles so I didn't know them, and
I had not a single friend, literally, in the world except my little
black cat (that my mother wouldn't let in the house so had to be sneaked
in).

I often woke up all alone in the house to open my one present (one was a
little box record player (I fleetingly wished for a "HiFi")) which was
sitting all alone under the gawds-awful silver, made-of-tinsel
"Christmas tree" (with a limited number of branches you stuck into holes
cut into the middle stick) that had a revolving colored tinted light
shining on it from the side and only red and blue plain glass balls -
GAGGGG!). My mom was at my neighbors who had two parents and four kids
and lots of excitement and presents, so she found some comfort there. I
really kind of understood though... it's what she needed to cope and
coping to us meant her being able to function at work when she was all
alone in the world with two teen-aged boys and a
too-smart-for-her-britches little brat.

It's why my first Christmas tree on my own (and ever since until putting
up a tree became too expensive and too hard physically for me to do, and
nobody but Ben and I saw it after the kids stopped taking the trip here
from New Orleans... gawds, I miss it though) was a real, thick, tall
spruce, which we garnished with strings of one day old popped corn
(fresh always falls apart too easily) and strings of cranberries (what a
mess), peppermint candy canes, THICK strands of garland (no tinsel
because there were always cats and yes there was always a cat-made
disaster every year, but that was part of the tradition too), home-made
ornaments, special antique ornament's I'd buy, one per year, in the
French Market in N'Awlins, child-made strings of looped construction
paper, red velvet bows, a special ornament for each child, engraved
every year, ALWAYS a tiny pair of painted Dutch wooden shoes strung
together that my dad had brought home from WWII (the best gift my mother
ever, EVER gave me besides life), a beautiful angel in a star on top,
TONS of colored strings of lights (a new string or two was added every
year and carefully put back light by light on its cardboard carrier),
and on and on. Here's a picture of one when Sammy(RB) was still
"little" (snork) - viewing this page made me cry again, but the tears
are becoming more and more healing (or so I tell myself).

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Christmas/

And for those who haven't read it, here's one of my "With Mommy" stories
about putting up the Christmas tree (the only exaggeration is that I
don't (can't, have never) drink. It's one of my favorite "With Mommy"
stories.

http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNip...Mommy.asp#Nine

Gawds, that was long and a bit cathartic, sorry and thank you for those
who bore with me (or were bored by me) to this point.

Anyway, now-a-days we convert to Judaism every December and revert to
heathens every New Year's Eve. [Sorry, no intent to offend any with
religious beliefs, it was a poor joke only.]

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old November 16th 11, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Nov 16, 8:45*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

It's okay with me if the retailers start early. I don't get caught up
in all of it anyway.
I like all the Christmas trappings except for....crowds and the
scarcity of good
parking places.
I love Christmas music. Time to get out everything from Johnny Mathis
TSO.
I don't put the tree up this early. Good grief. I'd be sick of it by
Dec. 1.

Sherry

Sherry
Old November 16th 11, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Nov 16, 9:45*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

Before I adopted Rusty (RB), I got a tree for Christmas. But I did not
get a
tree after I had Rusty. Nor did I get any poinsettia. The only
decoration was
a wreath on my door. Now that Rusty is gone, I do not feel like
getting a tree again.
I did get a pot of poinsettia last year. The first one in 15 years.

We Canadians already have our Thanksgiving in October, so the stores
now
are really into Christmas. The only problem is since there is no snow
yet,
many people do not feel like shopping for Christmas

Winnie
Old November 16th 11, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 17/11/2011 6:34 AM, hopitus wrote:
On Nov 16, 8:38 am, "Matthew" wrote:
"jmcquown wrote
[...]

At least its still technically winter in Florida.

Think of us poor saps in the southern hemisphere! I've had many a
Christmas day at over 40C (100F). Not coincidentally, plastic trees are
the way to go here.

The imagery of Christmas just doesn't work here. Snow, long nights,
people wrapped up, roasts withall the trappings, hotpuddings etc etc.
Perhaps if I was truly a native here I wouldn't notice. But even though
I can't remember a Christmas in England (came to Australia when I was
4.5), I was raised by people who mourned the lack of wintery things.

Ive always promised myself I'd spend at least one Christmas in the
northern hemisphere at high enough latitudes there's be snow on the
ground. With global warming, I'd better hurry up!

Yowie
Old November 16th 11, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Winnie wrote:

[...]

We never have snow! (I'm sure you remember that.) After 19 years, I
still feel like a green Christmas is just *wrong*.

But I guess Yowie and Tish and others have a bigger complaint. It may not
snow here, but at least it's not swimming weather!

--
Joyce

Fluffy Mackerel Pudding - "Once upon a time, the world was young and the
words 'mackerel' and 'pudding' existed far, far away from one another. One
day, that all changed. And then, whoever was responsible somehow thought
the word 'fluffy' would help." -- Hilarious recipes at: www.candyboots.com
Old November 16th 11, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Nope. It's not technically winter in the US (north or south) until December
22nd. I'd like to see the changing of the leaves again. Everything is
perpetually green here. It's boring.

Think of us poor saps in the southern hemisphere! I've had many a
Christmas day at over 40C (100F). Not coincidentally, plastic trees are
the way to go here.

The imagery of Christmas just doesn't work here. Snow, long nights, people
wrapped up, roasts withall the trappings, hotpuddings etc etc. Perhaps if
I was truly a native here I wouldn't notice. But even though I can't
remember a Christmas in England (came to Australia when I was 4.5), I was
raised by people who mourned the lack of wintery things.

I mourn the lack of wintery things. (laughing) At least in Tennessee
sometimes I saw snow. Not often, but sometimes. And I have a closet full
of pretty winter coats. There's no need for them here.

Ive always promised myself I'd spend at least one Christmas in the
northern hemisphere at high enough latitudes there's be snow on the
ground. With global warming, I'd better hurry up!

Go for it!

Jill

Old November 17th 11, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 11/16/2011 9:45 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

This past Thursday I went to Kohl's to buy some jeans and undies for
both myself and hubby - I had headphones on listening to Pandora's
comedy channel. When I went in I heard music, but I ignored it, and did
my shopping in peaceful bliss laughing my @$$ off to George Carlin,
Lewis Black, Daniel Tosh (he of Comedy Central's Tosh.0) to name a few.

I didn't take my headphones off until I was checking out (call me rude
if you want, but I was minding my own business to begin with)... the
music I could barely hear and had been ignoring the whole time was
CHRISTMAS MUSIC.... and it was being blasted OUTSIDE THE STORE AS WELL
(our Kohl's is a stand-alone - not attached to any other buildings but
near a few strip malls)...

EGADS!!!!

It was November 10!!!!

I vowed not to go in there until next year!

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY