Feline Leukemia - need suggestions for postive cat living with negative cat.

Old August 22nd 04, 10:52 PM
Sherry

ews.com

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
news:eO7Wc.126542$sh.18987@fed1read06...
It still can throw up a false positive.

No, the vaccine cannot "throw up" a false positive. There are other reasons
for false-positives but vaccination isn't one of them.

Phil. Put your helmet on. 'Cause you're gonna be banging your head against the
proverbial brick wall before long. :-)

Sherry
Old August 22nd 04, 11:05 PM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", "Phil P."
artfully composed this message within
on 22 Aug 2004:

No vaccine is 100% effective. The vaccine is very effective in
kittens and young cats 4 months old. Most (70%) adult cats
reject the virus and resist infection.

This makes me feel better about Bonnie! She was young (~5 monthsish)
when I took her in and she was vaccinated, and had a booster before
she was ever out of the cage. She had a good 2-3 months before ever
mingling with Shadow. She's getting tested this month (as soon as I
get up the nerve to try to get her in to the vet again!)

--
Cheryl

Old August 22nd 04, 11:15 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Mike at
wrote on 8/22/04 2:33 PM:

Here's an update:

1. The cats have NOT had vacines against FeLV (the shelter did not do
any and neither did the vet). They only had their mandatory shots
(distemper, etc). There seems to be some confusion on this.

2. The shelter ran their own test today (two actually) and both came
back positive for FeLV on the female and negative on the male.

I did some more reading and it said that 40% of healthy adult cats
fight off the disease. Unfortunately, young cats don't fair as well,
especially cats fighting another infection at the time. So the outlook
doesn't look good for her. At this time he is still negative, but I've
decided to keep them together as separating them would cause undo
stress. I just hope I'm not sentencing the male to death in the
process.

I'll keep the interferon treatment in mind, but I'm not sure I can
afford to take care of two cats with full blown (or even a mild case)
of leukemia. The vet gave me some vitamins, but I doubt that will help
much.

ELISA testing both cats costs around $90 (plus $46 for an examination).
I have no idea how much the IFA test cost, but if I have to have them
tested every month, then I definately wouldn't be able to afford to
keep them. Unfortunately I've already becomes attached to them and
them to me.

Mike, it seems to me that I've heard interferon was not that expensive. I
hope you can call around and find a vet that knows about this treatment or
consult a university. You really never know how well kitties can respond.
It's worth a try. Keep us posted.

Old August 22nd 04, 11:18 PM
Phil P.

"Sherry " wrote in message
ews.com

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
It still can throw up a false positive.

No, the vaccine cannot "throw up" a false positive. There are other

reasons
for false-positives but vaccination isn't one of them.

Phil. Put your helmet on. 'Cause you're gonna be banging your head against

the
proverbial brick wall before long. :-)

Sherry

I know most of the regulars realize he has issues; I worry about the newbies
believing his conjured up nonsense.

Phil

Old August 22nd 04, 11:22 PM
Phil P.

"Cheryl" wrote in message
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", "Phil P."
artfully composed this message within
on 22 Aug 2004:

No vaccine is 100% effective. The vaccine is very effective in
kittens and young cats 4 months old. Most (70%) adult cats
reject the virus and resist infection.

This makes me feel better about Bonnie! She was young (~5 monthsish)
when I took her in and she was vaccinated, and had a booster before
she was ever out of the cage. She had a good 2-3 months before ever
mingling with Shadow. She's getting tested this month (as soon as I
get up the nerve to try to get her in to the vet again!)

Was she tested at the time you took her in?

Keep the faith.

Phil

Old August 22nd 04, 11:32 PM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", "Phil P."
artfully composed this message within news:hs-
on 22 Aug 2004:

Was she tested at the time you took her in?

Keep the faith.

Yes, she had an ELISA at the time she was spayed. It was negative for
both. Even though the FLV vaccination isn't 100%, it was better than
none at all.

--
Cheryl