Update on Francis

Old October 7th 04, 08:47 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default Update on Francis

Firstly a *huge* thank you to everyone who has posted good wishes for Francis.
I *really* appreciate this so much.

Saw the *good* vet yesterday morning. I read the results of Francis's blood
test and the levels of the various things they test for are off the scale...
One item suggests the renal failure may be the result of an auto-immune disease
(not HIV) which I can't remember the name of.

Francis was a completely different cat with Mr Kennedy, who is an incredibly
humane and compassionate vet. I have made a formal complaint (in writing) about
the twit who was pressurizing me into euthanising Francis the day before and
saying Francis was dangerous and I could not be with him when he was
euthanised...

Up shot - Francis has had a steroid injection (which has perked him up
noticeably in 24 hrs). He can have these again when needed. I've also got pills
to give Francis one a day, which are for heart conditions in dogs & renal
failure in cats - ACE inhibitors. Vernon used to be on ACE inhibitors, so he &
Francis have a special bond these days :-) I've also got the low-protein cat
food for renal patients to give Francis. He loathes it. I shall be speaking
with the vet again on this. You guys who have cats with CRF, if they won't eat
the prescription food, what do you give them? Would something like fresh
chicken meat minced up with plain boiled rice be suitable??? I do not mind if I
have to prepare food myself from scratch. Oh, Marble *loves* the low-protein
food, he scarfed it down after Francis had turned his nose up at it... Marble
is of the school of thought that if it remains still in a dish for more than 30
seconds, it is edible...

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old October 7th 04, 09:16 AM
lewe

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you're getting good help now.
Purrs for Francis to be comfortable and happy for the longest time possible.
Headbutts for you all!
Lena
--
:: lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se || cat pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi

Old October 7th 04, 01:02 PM
Victor Martinez

I'm very glad to hear Francis is feeling better. So, what was the
long-term prognosis?

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 7th 04, 01:38 PM
Christine Burel

Helen,
I'm really glad you got help from this other vet! I've had 2 CRF kitties--
to be honest, I didn't worry about the food part it was more important that
they eat something then that they got the "renal" food, which mine wouldn't
eat eitiher. I think what really made a difference was that I gave both of
them 100 ml of lactated ringer fluids daily, which also helped them feel
much better. My cat, Frodo, lived to be 20, and had CRF for 5 years prior
to that (I know the fluids extended his life); he, too, got prednisone daily
and I think it helped, too; he also had liver problems. Shetra had CRF the
last 2 years of his life (and got fluids duirng this time, too) and lived to
be 17.
hth,
Christine
[...]

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched

off--

Old October 7th 04, 01:50 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

I'm very glad to hear Francis is feeling better. So, what was the
long-term prognosis?

Long-term prognosis is that he's going to die sooner than I would want; his
kidneys are on the way out. I may have him a few days, a few weeks, a few
months or a a few years. But he is a very sick cat, and I'll be taking each day
as it comes.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old October 7th 04, 02:04 PM
CatNipped

Purrs continuing that Francis will have lots of quality time left with his
loving family.

Hugs,

CatNipped