Thanks for the purrs

Old December 29th 08, 08:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

Default Thanks for the purrs

I want to thank everyone who offered purrs and condolences with my
Mom's passing. Mom was not someone who was crazy about pets of any
kind - but there is one story about her and a cat that shows what kind
of person she was.

Many years about, mid to late 60s, my brothers were out exploring in
the foothills which used to be in East Bakersfield. We came upon a
gunny sack of newborn kittens, and took the only live kitten home. Mom
fed the baby with a medicine dropper and it later grew into Mittens
(rb) the tom cat I've mentioned in the past. Although she always said
she didn't like cats and would never let one inside, Mittens was the
exception.
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old December 29th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
I want to thank everyone who offered purrs and condolences with my
Mom's passing. Mom was not someone who was crazy about pets of any
kind - but there is one story about her and a cat that shows what kind
of person she was.

Many years about, mid to late 60s, my brothers were out exploring in
the foothills which used to be in East Bakersfield. We came upon a
gunny sack of newborn kittens, and took the only live kitten home. Mom
fed the baby with a medicine dropper and it later grew into Mittens
(rb) the tom cat I've mentioned in the past. Although she always said
she didn't like cats and would never let one inside, Mittens was the
exception.
--

My mom refused me to have a dog which I dearly wanted. An almost dying
puppy, 5 weeks old, came along when I was 18. She said I could only have it
until it recovered. It did recover and she asked me to find it a home. She
said the dog would be too big.
I ran away with the puppy under my arm to a friends house. It was very kind
of her to put us up and tolerate the puppy pooing all over the kitchen and
up her fridge.
My mother found out where we were, not too difficult. She said I must come
home and find a home for the little girl. I said "no, I will not come home
unless I can keep her"
Mom said no. I said yes. There was a standoff then for quite a few days.
She gave in. I returned home with my puppy, we had her for 14 years and my
mother was absolutely devastated when she passed away because she loved her
so much.
That was Pollyanna.

Tweed

Old December 29th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

[...]

Steve, I know for a fact that your Mother was a wonderful woman from seeing
how you are.

This story is as much a testament to you and your brothers as it is to your
Mother.
Karla

Old December 30th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

It so often seems to happen that way, doesn't it? Parents at odds with
their children about pets. I wasn't allowed to have pets, either, other
than parakeets. Not that there's anything wrong with parakeets

When I got divorced in 1984 I had to move back in with my parents briefly so
I could get on my (financial) feet again. My father said of my tiny mutt
dog Sampson (RB, 1999), "I don't want a dog in this house! You're cleaning
up any mess he makes! And he'd better not pee on my chives!" LOL Oh,
right, your precious chives. Like we eat baked potatoes with sour cream and
chives every night. He'd planted enough to feed a small army.

The next thing I knew my father was on the floor playing with the dog,
tossing him toys and threatening me with bodily harm if I tried to find
another home for Sammy. And then I found out after I left for work in the
mornings my mother was cooking scrambled eggs for Sammy! She said, "But he
likes them!" Gee, so do I but you don't make them for me before I go to
work!" LOL

My mother had never been around cats. When she asked me to move here to
South Carolina permanently I said, "I've got to go get Persia." It was
understood, I couldn't keep Persia boarded in a cage. That would just be
cruel. Persia never really did warm up to Mom. When I came back with
Persia she hid under the bed for a week. And then Mom was sort of shaky
around her; it made Persia skittish. I suspect my mother was actually
afraid of cats. Funny, though. When she came home from the hospital a few
days before she died one of the first things she asked me was "Where's our
cat?"

Parents and pets. Very strange and complex relationships, indeed.

Jill

Old December 31st 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
It so often seems to happen that way, doesn't it? Parents at odds with
their children about pets. I wasn't allowed to have pets, either, other
than parakeets. Not that there's anything wrong with parakeets

snip

Parents and pets. Very strange and complex relationships, indeed.

Yes. I was allowed to have hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits as a child but a
dog seemed just a step too far. Despite how much I had always wanted one.
I used to take all the neighbour's dogs out for walks from the age of about
11, I wanted one of my own so much.
By the time I was 18, at work to afford to keep a dog, no way would I let
baby Pollyanna go. When I eventually left home I took Polly with me. I
had, eventually, after two years, to let Polly go back to my mother. It was
a real wrench, but mom had become depressed, not at the loss of me but the
loss of Pollyanna!
Polly was my first heart dog. She was my continual companion and
accompanied me everywhere, even on holiday in posh hotels. I'd trained her
in competitive obedience trials, so she was perfectly behaved in every way.
We sometimes used to stay here for a holiday.
http://www.nwt.co.uk/http://www.nwt....Belmont+Hotel/

The proprietors always said she was welcome any time. Occasionally we
stayed somewhere else in Llandudno but Polly would always pull me into the
entrance to the Belmont Hotel if we went past it years later like "this is
where we live when we are on holiday.."
The Four Oaks Hotel, bigger and supposedly better that we stayed in an equal
number of times, she didn't rate it at all ;-)
She'd just walk past it every time.

Tweed

Old December 31st 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Dec 31, 11:36*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

The Four Oaks Hotel, bigger and supposedly better that we stayed in an equal
number of times, she didn't rate it at all ;-)
She'd just walk past it every time.

LOL! Pollyanna the hotel inspector!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Frurballs

Old December 31st 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

The Four Oaks Hotel, bigger and supposedly better that we stayed in an
equal
number of times, she didn't rate it at all ;-)
She'd just walk past it every time.

LOL! Pollyanna the hotel inspector!
---

g Yes, we stayed in a few hotels there over the years but it was defini
nately the Belmont for her.
She was welcome to come again at every place she stayed.
I'm not sure you can do this now, take your dog on holiday with you to stay
in your room at your hotel.
It was not uncommon then, there was a woman who had her cat with her at the
Belmont too and a few of us who had our dogs too.
The cat was called "Fiddle Diddle" A big long haired black cat. Her owner
was a violinist. "Hey, diddle, diddle, the cat and the fiddle." English
Nursery rhyme.

Tweed

Old December 31st 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Most places Lee and I have stayed, there is a 50-75 dollar cleaning fee if
you have your pets with you. Her DH always says he can clean up after them
cheaper than that.