Do indoor cats have thinner or less fur?

Old January 5th 05, 05:39 PM
sarah

Default Do indoor cats have thinner or less fur?

My cat is mainly an indoor cat. I think she may have been before I got her
from the Rescue centre.

Her fur seems a bit fine or thin (for want of a better description) and as
though there is less of it than I would expect during winter. She's always
been like this since I've had her and I just wondered if it was 'cos she's
mainly indoors.

She is also a CRF cat - if that helps.

sarah

Old January 5th 05, 06:03 PM
MaryL

"sarah" wrote in message
My cat is mainly an indoor cat. I think she may have been before I got her
from the Rescue centre.

Her fur seems a bit fine or thin (for want of a better description) and as
though there is less of it than I would expect during winter. She's always
been like this since I've had her and I just wondered if it was 'cos she's
mainly indoors.

She is also a CRF cat - if that helps.

sarah

As far as I know, being an indoor cat will not affect amount of fur. Both
of mine have thick, luxurious fur (as have my previous cats), and the amount
does vary seasonally -- even though they are indoor-only. I once read that
shedding (and the reverse) are related more to hours of daylight than to
temperature. I don't have a source for that statement and don't know if
it's true. Even if true, one would wonder why indoor cats (which receive
"daylight" only indirectly through windows) would have the seasonal changes
as outdoor cats, but mine do.

MaryL

Old January 6th 05, 08:38 AM
Sandra

My cats are indoor only, and have thick fur. Phoenix is only little and his
is still getting thicker, and memphis has a really thick glossy silky coat.
He sheds more sometimes than others, but there is always plenty of it! He
likes to be vacumned, which i do regularly!
sandra

Old January 6th 05, 04:09 PM
Jennifer

http://www.purinaone.com/catcare_con...cleNumb er=68

"... Strictly outdoor cats kept outside tend to shed for several weeks
during major seasonal changes, most notably in spring and fall. Usually
they grow more secondary hairs or underfur in the fall for warmth. In
the spring they lose the underfur and replace much of it with the
longer primary or guard hairs. The hair coat changes in appearance and
texture but the absolute numbers of hair follicles and hair does not."

Old January 6th 05, 05:19 PM
sarah

Oh well. Just wondered.

I suppose it will mean less to fall off in the moulting season.

sarah

Old January 6th 05, 05:33 PM
Margaret

On 6 Jan 2005 08:09:19 -0800, Jennifer wrote:

http://www.purinaone.com/catcare_con...cleNumb er=68

"... Strictly outdoor cats kept outside tend to shed for several weeks
during major seasonal changes, most notably in spring and fall. Usually
they grow more secondary hairs or underfur in the fall for warmth. In
the spring they lose the underfur and replace much of it with the
longer primary or guard hairs. The hair coat changes in appearance and
texture but the absolute numbers of hair follicles and hair does not."

I hadn't noticed outdoor cats shedding in fall, but otherwise this fits what
I've seen. They also gain weight for the winter and get skinny for summer.

I once befriended an outdoor tom (very healthy and plump in winter) who when
he came inside and napped on the bed, would pant. The vet said that was
because his metabolism was set to generate heat for the outdoors. I asked if
letting him in would spoil his adaptation to cold, but the vet said no, he
could adjust it himself either way.

In my experience, the thickness varies with temperature. Indoor cats tend to
have, shall we say, medium-thick fur. Outdoor cats have thicker fur in
winter than indoor cats, thinner than indoor cats in summer (assuming the
kind of climate where you get both extreme seasons).

Margaret