I had no idea I was raising another child.

Old February 9th 05, 04:29 PM
Holly

Default I had no idea I was raising another child.

My son is now 35 years old, I thought that with him out of the house
that I had stopped raising children. I was Wrong.
I have finally decided that Sasha is indeed a child desquised as a cat.

She has to be constantly watched as any thing is game for her, she is
almost fearless.
Last night I was going throught the mail and dropped the rubber band
that was on the newspaper on the floor before I could get it Sasha had
it, so the chase was on, I am running through the house trying to get
it back. Then of all things she swallowed it. Sasha is notorious for
eating things that should not be eaten. Last time she swallowed a large
piece of yarn the vet had me give her a wee bit of Ipicate (spelling?)
Syrup, it work then so I gave her some last night. The syrup started to
work, so i went to get some paper towels for the mess that was sure to
follow and its as if she knew what was going to happen she jumped up
on the bed and procedded to bring the rubber band and part of dinner up
right on to my freshly washed sheets, then looks at me like you B***h.
She was definatly voicing her diapproval of what had happened.
Sasha is fine now though she was being alittle snotty to me this AM.

Old February 9th 05, 05:14 PM
Gabey8

What is it with cats EATING rubber bands? Harmony (RB) was notorious for
turning any rubber band she got hold of into a snack.

First of all, I nearly had a heart attack the first time I saw evidence of
this, because of course she'd eaten a RED rubber band and it was deposited
in the litterbox along with the, well, you know. My initial reaction was,
"Good grief, one of the cats is bleeding internally", until I took a
closer look and realized that the red spots were bits of rubber band.

At which point, I became fanatical about not letting either of the cats
near a rubber band, because of course that's not somthing that they should
be eating. But one day a greebling snuck a rubber band onto the floor, and
I managed to catch Harmony in the act of chewing it up.

Now I knew which of the cats was the rubber-band-eating monster. And I
stayed cautious about keeping rubber bands away from both of them for
years.

Then I got married. I warned DH very early on about keeping close watch on
rubber bands because Harmony would eat them. He didn't believe me. Until
the morning when she hurked up a hairball with telltale bits of rubber
mixed in.

I cleaned up the mess, but before I threw it away, I showed it to DH.
"See? I told you she eats rubber bands." From then on, he was
extra-careful, too.

I don't know if Captain or Stanley would eat a rubber band. It's my goal
not to ever let them near enough to a rubber band to find out if they'd
eat it. ;o)

Donna and the cats who I hope limit their diets to cat food and treats,
Captain and Stanley

Old February 9th 05, 05:27 PM
Holly

If she can get it in her mouth she will eat it, I put child locks on
all cabinet doors, and try and keep all little things in a container of
some sort.
When I got back from my Chemo appointment of Monday, she had managed to
get a shoe lace out of my tennis shoe and was happily chewing on that.
She has also started chewing on shoes and such. She has lost a couple
of teeth so I hope once she gets her adult teeth some of this will
stop.

Old February 9th 05, 05:47 PM
Denise VanDyke

Holly wrote:
If she can get it in her mouth she will eat it, I put child locks on
all cabinet doors, and try and keep all little things in a container of
some sort.
When I got back from my Chemo appointment of Monday, she had managed to
get a shoe lace out of my tennis shoe and was happily chewing on that.
She has also started chewing on shoes and such. She has lost a couple
of teeth so I hope once she gets her adult teeth some of this will
stop.

When Brenna was teething, she wanted to chew on everything - especially
meowmy! I got a small package of the little rawhide chew sticks for
d*gs. Soak it a little while in warm/hot water to soften the end and
give it to her. Be careful, though, as the sticks tend to uncurl when
softened, but then harden up again leaving sharp bits. I don't know if
it would hurt the kitty, but it sure does hurt when you step on it in
bare feet!!

- Denise Brennasmeowmy

Old February 9th 05, 05:53 PM
Holly

Thanks for the suggestion Denise,
my vet says it takes a few months for them to all fall out was this the
case with Brenna?

Old February 9th 05, 06:14 PM
Karen

Grant has this thing:

"http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/prodsublist.cfm?group_no=6693&specie=Ca
ts&url.section=answers"

(I couldn;t find it else where quickly) and he uses that as his "chew
thing". We've had it years now and he sits and chews on the little bungy
cord.

Sugar uses the pyramid of tease (they don't even seem to HAVE this anymore)
which is a motion sensor toy that had plastic flexible strips sticking out
all over. She sits and scrapes those through her mouth. They seem to enjoy
these activities, do not wear out the toys and well, they just like it.

oups.com...

Old February 9th 05, 06:26 PM
Holly

that is neatest thing,
I think she would love it, so I went ahead and ordered her one.
It will be here in 8 to 10 days so I will let you know how she liked it.

Old February 9th 05, 07:05 PM
Denise VanDyke

Holly wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion Denise,
my vet says it takes a few months for them to all fall out was this the
case with Brenna?

It didn't seem like that long, but I was finding kitten teeth (with my
bare feet) for a few weeks after she had all her adult teeth. Of
course, this was four years ago, so my memory may be a bit fuzzy. She
still likes to play with and chew on drinking straws and q-tips (cotton
swabs). Those are even better than furry mice! I save them for special
treats. And every so often Brenna still wants to play with a chewstick.
Doesn't chew them, but they are good for tossing and bapping across
the floor.

- Denise Brennasmeowmy

Old February 9th 05, 08:16 PM
Karen

I will warn you I got one for my moms cat and, unlike Grant who just uses it
as a chew toy, Tycho batted it all over the house and busted it up in pretty
short order. But mom has linoleum floors so that baby could really go. I'll
be interested to know how she likes it.

ups.com...

Old February 9th 05, 08:21 PM
Holly via CatKB.com

I will definatley let you know , I have hardwood floors so I can imagine
the noise she is going to make with it