Opening the windows

Old April 6th 05, 03:05 AM
Cheryl

Default Opening the windows

Today I thought of a way that I can open my windows (it was 70+
degrees F today) without fear of the screens popping out. I've had
two do that, years apart. One was during a "cat fight" between one of
mine, and a stray, or wandering neighbor cat through a window one
full story up off the ground. Don't ask. It was horrible.

I had constructed that screen door for the kittens room during their
integration and thought, heck, I can make something like that only
window-sized. http://tinyurl.com/3kqbj It would be fully framed and
wedged inside the double-hung windows, held down by the top frame of
the window. No need to worry that the window screens will pop out,
and kitties get to sit on their perches and sniff the air, and hear
the outside. If they tear the first screen, there is a backup.
Reduncancy. What I live by at work! Of course I can't see leaving
them open when I'm not home.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old April 6th 05, 04:22 AM
Mary

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

What kind of screens/windows do you have? Ours are hooked
to the window frames all the way around. I have never had screens
that pop out.

Old April 6th 05, 08:41 AM
-L.

Cheryl wrote:
[...]

Hummm...sounds like it will work.

I need to go look at your kity pics again.

-L.

Old April 6th 05, 01:29 PM
Alison

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Today I thought of a way that I can open my windows (it was 70+
degrees F today) without fear of the screens popping out. I've had
two do that, years apart. One was during a "cat fight" between one

of
mine, and a stray, or wandering neighbor cat through a window one
full story up off the ground. Don't ask. It was horrible.
--
Cheryl

70F+ A heat wave indeed! It's bluddy freezing over here, gales
and lashing rain
Alison

Old April 7th 05, 01:06 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 06 Apr 2005 03:41:05a, -L. wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

Hummm...sounds like it will work.

I'm going to try to build some this weekend if I have time.

I need to go look at your kity pics again.

I really need to get some new ones up.

-L.

Old April 7th 05, 01:17 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 06 Apr 2005 08:29:59a, Alison wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

70F+ A heat wave indeed! It's bluddy freezing over here,
gales
and lashing rain
Alison

When does it start warming up there? We've had a slow start, but it
was close to 90F today!! Typical DC area spring though. Nice long
enough for the Cherry Blossom festival, then straight on into early
summer. Autumn is similar; air conditioning one day, the heat on the
next.

Old April 7th 05, 01:38 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Wed 06 Apr 2005 08:29:59a, Alison wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

70F+ A heat wave indeed! It's bluddy freezing over here,
gales
and lashing rain
Alison

When does it start warming up there? We've had a slow start, but it
was close to 90F today!! Typical DC area spring though. Nice long
enough for the Cherry Blossom festival, then straight on into early
summer. Autumn is similar; air conditioning one day, the heat on the
next.

Putting in my 2¢: was snowing here (very upstate NY) on Monday, yet was 74º
today. ;-) The grass is greening up & the maple trees are snowing signs of
life.

Cathy

Old April 7th 05, 01:55 AM
Spot

We replaced some older sash windows with new ones and I am in no way
impressed with the screens that come with the windows. They pop out too
easily. I am going to the hard ware store and buying some old fashion metal
window screens that fit between the sashes. They are much studier and not
going to pop out. This is especially important since my one cat is 18 lbs
and loves the windows.

Celeste

Old April 7th 05, 02:24 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 06 Apr 2005 08:38:31p, Cathy Friedmann wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Putting in my 2½: was snowing here (very upstate NY) on Monday,
yet was 74§ today. ;-) The grass is greening up & the maple
trees are snowing signs of life.

We were very close to the snow line last Sunday! I don't know whether
to take the sand bags out of my pickup truck yet.

Old April 7th 05, 02:25 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 06 Apr 2005 08:55:39p, Spot wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:fy%4e.636$Fm5.414@trndny09):

We replaced some older sash windows with new ones and I am in no
way impressed with the screens that come with the windows. They
pop out too easily. I am going to the hard ware store and
buying some old fashion metal window screens that fit between
the sashes. They are much studier and not going to pop out.
This is especially important since my one cat is 18 lbs and
loves the windows.

Celeste

I can't quite picture what the screens you're talking about look
like. Do you know their name so I can google them? If that's an
option for my windows, I'd rather do that.