My cats have never been out

Old June 24th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Default My cats have never been out

On 24 Jun, 01:31, Barry wrote:
On Jun 23, 8:21 pm, bookie wrote:

apart from getting gang-raped by a posse of outlaw
hedgehogs possibly, but that's about it in the British Isles

and you say I don't make much sense

looka here

you live in the boonies! you're country and don't even know it

haha

you are aware what a hedgehog is aren't you?

Old June 24th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

On Jun 23, 8:40 pm, bookie wrote:

you are aware what a hedgehog is aren't you?

they act like hogs in the hedges?

Old June 24th 07, 08:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 20, 9:47 am, bookie wrote:

i think if i had an apartment I would really think twice about having
a cat, maybe a really REALLY old cat, one that was FIV or something
who could not go out at all, and only then if I had a huge flat for
said puss to run aronud in and I woudl have to invest in lots of cat
gyms and climbign frame for them. i certainly would not get a kitten
or young cat in a flat, not really fair on them, they would go stir
crazy.

This is why a lot of people find your posts to be rather judgemental
on the topic. You are assuming than an indoor cat cannot be happy.
Since many of us do have have indoor cats, we can assure you (not that
you would believe us) that our cats are very happy.

We have 5 cat trees in our house, and our cats have plenty of toys and
things to do.

When I got Jay Jay, he was an outdoor cat. He cried and pawed at every
door and window for a week. It was pitiful. He was very unhappy. But
you know what? After a week, he stopped. I have had 2 1/2 years now,
and he has never attempted to get outside since that first work. He
figured out pretty quickly that life inside is pretty nice. All you
can end food. Endless supply of clean water. Lots of comfy perches.
Lots of toys. Lots of massages. No fighting. No dangerous dogs or
wildlife. He is much happier living the good life.

You make it sound like indoor cats are being abused, and that simply
isn't true. Most of them have no idea what is outside. My Kira would
actually panic if she saw me outside in the yard through the door or
window. She was used to me going out the front door, but did not find
it acceptable that I should be outside. She would cry and pace until I
came back in. The outside was a big bad place, in her opinion. I could
leave the front door open, and she has no interest in it.

At our house (with 2 dogs and 3 cats), only one dog shows any interest
in the door. My dog is a formerly outside dog, and she hates to go
outside.

Old June 24th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:13:22 -0700, bookie wrote:

Kids round here are
too lazy to get up off their backsides and away front their tv screens
and computer games to bother inflicting violent assault on someone
else's animals, that would involve effort on their part, too much like
hard work.

That's gotta be the least convincing argument I've ever seen on Usenet.

Charlie
Old June 25th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 24 Jun, 08:25, "
wrote:
On Jun 20, 9:47 am, bookie wrote:

[...]

different strokes for different folks, and we have an animal welfare
bill here now which could be interpreted to mean that keeping a cat
indoors is breaking the law depnding on your interpretation of it

Old June 25th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 24 Jun, 22:10, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:13:22 -0700, bookie wrote:
Kids round here are
too lazy to get up off their backsides and away front their tv screens
and computer games to bother inflicting violent assault on someone
else's animals, that would involve effort on their part, too much like
hard work.

That's gotta be the least convincing argument I've ever seen on Usenet.

Charlie

you haven't met many british kids then

Old June 25th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 24 Jun, 01:56, Barry wrote:
On Jun 23, 8:40 pm, bookie wrote:

you are aware what a hedgehog is aren't you?

they act like hogs in the hedges?

er no, small mammals covered in spines, ever read beatrix potter's
books such as The Tale of Mrs Tiggywinkle? she was hedgehog, i can't
remember the story though, I much preferred reading the tale of the
Flopsy Bunnies and also the Tale of Jemima Puddleduck.

they do live in hedges and undergrowth inthe british countryside and
just about everywhere really, totally harmless unless maybe you try to
pick one up, then you might get a spine inyour hand, but they are much
more scared of us than anything. Very cute animals, i always put the
dregs of the girls food out on the front lawn for any hedgehogs to eat
at night, they normally eat worms and insects but will also eat
catfood too.

i am sure though that someone on this group will try to tell me that I
shouldn't let my cats out in case they get attacked by a giant mutant
cat-eating hedgehog now and that by leavign food out for this spiky
monsters I am just encouraging them to come ronud and savage my cats.
believe me, neither creature is a threat to the other.

Old June 25th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"bookie" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 24 Jun, 01:56, Barry wrote:
On Jun 23, 8:40 pm, bookie wrote:

[...]

I'm sure he said that tongue-in-cheek. Most of us do know what hedgehogs
are. I held a baby hedgehog once, and I was amazed at how soft they are.
Of course, I would't want to do that to a mature hedgehog, but I also would
not be frightened. They look somewhat like our porcupines, but they are not
actually related. Porcupines are nocturnal, just like hedgehogs.

MaryL

Old June 25th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 17:52:34 -0700, bookie wrote:

On 24 Jun, 01:56, Barry wrote:
On Jun 23, 8:40 pm, bookie wrote:

you are aware what a hedgehog is aren't you?

they act like hogs in the hedges?

er no, small mammals covered in spines, ever read beatrix potter's books
such as The Tale of Mrs Tiggywinkle? she was hedgehog, i can't remember
the story though, I much preferred reading the tale of the Flopsy
Bunnies and also the Tale of Jemima Puddleduck.

Philip Larkin wrote a poem about killing a hedgehog with his lawnmower.

http://www.wussu.com/poems/pltm.htm

they do live in hedges and undergrowth inthe british countryside and
just about everywhere really, totally harmless unless maybe you try to
pick one up, then you might get a spine inyour hand,

Indeed. Hedgehogs are hazardous when misused...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09...n_witchdoctor/

Charlie
Old June 25th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 17:46:11 -0700, bookie
wrote:

On 24 Jun, 08:25, "
wrote:
On Jun 20, 9:47 am, bookie wrote:

[...]

That would mean that folks living in apartments couldn't have cats.