Getting ready for a new aby kitten in Chicago-advice on vets and preparations needed

Old July 24th 03, 05:45 PM
Yngver

(kate) wrote:

Thanks for the vet recommendations! I have seen the one on Devin
mentioned before, and I have heard of the wone one Irving Park road
but it has never been recommended before. Do you have firsthand
experience with these places?

We've used the Chicago Cat Clinic for years, and I have friends who use the
Chicago Cat Hospital and rave about it.

Any specific doctors?

They are all good at CCC. I don't really know about CCH but here's the link:
http://www.cathospitalofchicago.com/

Also, do you think that for cats it is generally a better idea to go
to a cat doctor rather than an all small animal doc?

Yes, I do. We have used a vet nearer to us who sees both cats and dogs, and for
one thing, it's very stressful for cats to be sitting in a waiting room with a
bunch of barking dogs. Also, if you have to leave your cat there for a
procedure, some small animal vets don't even have separate cage areas for the
cats and dogs, so your cat might end up in a cage right next to a howling dog.

Other than those considerations, I also prefer a vet that is a member of the
American Association of Feline Practioners. It just seems to me that a vet that
specializes in cats is generally going to be more knowledgeable and currrent on
feline medical issues than someone who treats all small animals. That said,
however, in a larger clinic that treats small animals, there may be certain
vets that specialize in cats.

Thanks so much for your help!
BTW, I understand the reasons why people want to push adoptions. It
is something I have definitely considered, and I have visited many
centers, although I havent connected with any cats. I think it always
something important to think about. I have also been kind of offended
at some of the attitude I have recieved from some of the adoption
coordinators. I must say,I am the ideal cat owner! I work at home, we
dont have kids, I am good with the vet appts and very attentive. It
has really been making me mad! These people are passing up some good
prospects!

Actually, I've known a couple of people who first tried to adopt from a
shelter, then decided to go to a breeder because of the same reason you are
describing.

Old July 24th 03, 07:53 PM
Arjun Ray

In , wrote:
| Arjun Ray wrote:

| 1. "What are you doing? The cat overpopulation problem is out of
| control."
| 2. "Cat overpopulation? Hey, don't look at me, it isn't *my*
| problem!"
|
| 3. Breeding isn't all evil

Breeding is unquestionably evil whenever overpopulation is in context.

| but you should only do it if you are truly interested in bettering the
| breed (healthwise, personalitywise, and standard wise),

I wonder how many breeders grasp the responsibility involved.

| you are not tryign to make money off of it (it's a hobby, not a career,
| you'll spend more moeny on vet care of mom and kittens than make),

Red herring - the issue is breeding (for betterment), not milling (for
profit).

| you are willing to do stuff like take back any kittens

Bzzzzzt!! Sorry, you were doing so well up till now.

If you are a *responsible* breeder - in it only for the joy of bettering
the breed - then you never take any kittens back.

Because you never have to take any kittens back.

Because you never adopt any kittens out to begin with.

You are in it for the betterment of the breed. Failures and deadwood in
your breeding program are your responsibility. As a responsible breeder
you have no leeway to be genteel or squeamish. You must do your own
culling - for the betterment of the breed, after all.

Don't like that particular implication? Then don't be a breeder, or
even think you can be one. It's as simple as that.

| The world isn't so black and white to say that just cause I am ok with
| breeding doesn't mean I'm not worried about the overpopulation problem.

It's very simple. Any breeder who adopts cats out is displacing other
cats. That happens to be the essence of the overpopulation *problem*.

The way to say "hey, cat overpopulation isn't *my* problem" and by golly
really mean it, is to deal with your own local overpopulation problem by
yourself.

You are in it for the betterment of the breed. That means only the
breeding stock counts. The rest constitute overpopulation.

| So, despite painting all breeders with such a broad brush maybe you
| should realize some are actively into rescue themselves.

I applaud their rescue efforts. If only they would keep their breeding
efforts to themselves.

Old July 24th 03, 07:53 PM
Arjun Ray