SO Angry!

Old March 19th 04, 03:23 PM
Kristine Kochanski

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 07:01:10 -0600, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
wrote:

"Kristine Kochanski" wrote in message
The big deal is cats need company and stimulation. How would you like
to be trapped in a house all weekend with nobody to play with?! Would
you leave a child alone all weekend so long as it was healthy and
enough food and water? I don't think so.

Using that analogy (cat and child)...would you have a young child spayed or
neutered?

If it was going to go out and shag at random with nobody to look after
its offspring, yes.

Would you have a young child tattoed and microchipped should s/he
become lost?

Um.. some people already do have their children chipped and it'll
probably become more widespread in coming years if paranoia escalates
at current level.

Should I not even be leaving my cat home unattended while I go
to work for the day?

Sorry, I just happen to believe a cat should not be locked in a house
alone all day and night. I've deliberately chosen a career where I can
work from home because my cats' welfare is important to me. I like to
be able to keep an eye on them, feed them, play with them when it
suits them. If I had other priorities I'd have to reconsider whether
cats were the right pet for me. Obviously it depends on the individual
cat - like you say some like solidarity, but on the whole I think it's
better to have at least 2 for feline companionship.

Going off on a tangent slightly, but yes, cats can look after
themselves to a degree, single dogs though, I believe, really should
not be shut in a room all day while the family go out to work. Yes,
millions of people do it, but that doesn't make it right. Then they
wonder why the dog howls and destroys the furnishings... jeez, it's
not rocket science.

I certainly wouldn't leave a child alone in that
situation so according to your analogy, I shouldn't leave my cat during the
day, either. I would send a child to school--should I send my cat to
school, too?

I'd love to send my cats to a cat-school! ;-)

The child/cat analogy is one of the silliest ones to use when trying to make
a point. Fact is, cats and humans are very different.

Indeed. Cats are not humans, so you can't say 'mummy won't be back til
5pm so behave now' and expect them to go 'ok, I'll just sit here and
sleep for 8 hours til you come back'.

That being said, the *only* reason I would never leave my cat alone for two
days would be because she might become sick or injured during that time.
With some illnesses or injuries, it is crucial to get a cat to the vet asap.
If she were home alone, who would bring her to the vet?

Exactly.
Old March 19th 04, 03:36 PM
kilikini

"Kristine Kochanski" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 07:01:10 -0600, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
wrote:

(snip)

Obviously it depends on the individual
cat - like you say some like solidarity, but on the whole I think it's
better to have at least 2 for feline companionship.

Unless they're like my cats who hate each other. I thought, yeah, take on
two, they'll be pals. Was I WRONG.

Going off on a tangent slightly, but yes, cats can look after
themselves to a degree, single dogs though, I believe, really should
not be shut in a room all day while the family go out to work. Yes,
millions of people do it, but that doesn't make it right. Then they
wonder why the dog howls and destroys the furnishings... jeez, it's
not rocket science.

Dogs definitely need way more attention than cats do. Being a dog and a cat
owner, my dog is way more demanding of my time.

(snip)

That being said, the *only* reason I would never leave my cat alone for

two
days would be because she might become sick or injured during that time.
With some illnesses or injuries, it is crucial to get a cat to the vet

asap.
If she were home alone, who would bring her to the vet?

Exactly.

I've gone inter-island for a weekend and left my cats with two huge bowls of
food and water. Had to leave the doggy at my friend's house tho. I came
home, the cats were fine, just a little ****ed that I left. In the 8 years
I've had them, I've only done this *1* time. Things were fine. My
doggy-sitter did have a key to the house and went to check on the cats at
least once during my absence so I wasn't that worried.

kili

Old March 19th 04, 03:45 PM
Kristine Kochanski

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:36:04 GMT, "kilikini"
wrote:

"Kristine Kochanski" wrote in message
.. .
Obviously it depends on the individual
cat - like you say some like solidarity, but on the whole I think it's
better to have at least 2 for feline companionship.

Unless they're like my cats who hate each other. I thought, yeah, take on
two, they'll be pals. Was I WRONG.

Heheh, been down that road... Best to take on 2 littermates, though
even that can be a disaster, especially if they're both males ;-)

That being said, the *only* reason I would never leave my cat alone for

two
days would be because she might become sick or injured during that time.
With some illnesses or injuries, it is crucial to get a cat to the vet

asap.
If she were home alone, who would bring her to the vet?

Exactly.

I've gone inter-island for a weekend and left my cats with two huge bowls of
food and water. Had to leave the doggy at my friend's house tho. I came
home, the cats were fine, just a little ****ed that I left.

Yeah, they do get ****ed at you. Once, when I had one cat (she was
very antisocial and refused companions), I thought it would be ok to
put her in a cattery for the weekend when I had to go away. Shelter
looked lovely to me... But when I came back she was SO annoyed at me
and made me feel guilty all week! I still feel guilty about it now and
it was 10 years ago! I always get someone I trust to catsit for me
now, the guilt was too much!

My aunt always had someone come to feed the cat and let it out when
she went off for her fortnight's holiday - so the person would come
twice a day and let the cat in or out and feed it... so the cat was
either in or out for 12 hours of the day with no access to the other
enviroment. I found that absolutely appaling - but 'cats can look
after themselves'... Like I say, some things other pet owners do very
much upset me, but then, some things people do in general just annoy
me ;-)

Old March 19th 04, 03:48 PM
MaryL

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
How is a cat considered an it? Shouldn't the cat be considered a he or a
she? As for them having no concept on whether or not you're coming back, I
think they very much know when you are coming back. I tell mine all the

time
that I am coming back when I am leaving.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Kristine Kochanski" wrote in message

Not just its basic needs, but its emotional needs too. Cats need
company and stimulation. I've got three cats but if I'm upstairs and
they think I'm out I can usually hear one crying and it'll come to
greet me when I appear. Cats and dogs have no concept that you're
coming back, when they can't see you you've gone out of their world.
Two days or more is way, way too long for a cat to be alone.

My cats *always* greet me at the door when I arrive home, but they *never*
sit watching the door when I am home. My parents used to spend part of the
winter with me (both of my parents after their retirement and prior to my
father's death; then my mother lived with me for 5 years but is now
incapacitated and in a nursing home). They swore that my cats (Holly and
her prececessor, Amber) could somehow hear the sound of my car even before I
pulled into the driveway because they would come running at full speed from
wherever they were. A couple of minutes later, I would find Holly or Amber
(I adopted Holly after Amber died) waiting at the door for me. I had a
flexible time schedule, so this wasn't based on "estimated time of arrival,"
but they also were not sitting around all day waiting by the door. Now
Holly and Duffy do the same thing, and I find the two of them together
waiting to greet me. I don't know how they do it, but it's a truly
endearing quality.

MaryL

Old March 19th 04, 06:55 PM
Tracy

It's not unusual but it's very wrong IMO. If you can't look after 'em,
don't have 'em.

Well, there you go. We're appalled by different things. I'm appalled
by people who don't bother to tag and collar their indoor pets in the
assumption that they will never, by any combination of circumstances,
slip out of the house. And I really hope the OP takes this opportunity
to remedy the problem. It strikes me as a bit more fruitful than
ranting at a landlord on Usenet. You owe it to your cats to give them
every possibility of being returned to you should you be separated.

Old March 19th 04, 07:12 PM
Mary

"Diane L. Schirf" wrote

I have a great apartment and a wonderful building manager. No

complaints.

Hey, I loved one of my apartments much more than my current house!
But when it came time to buy I could never afford a place as old and
cool as it was. I'm not knocking renting--there are advantages, such
as the fact that you have someone else to be responsible for repairs
and to PAY for them. What I meant was that I feel much more
secure now that nobody has the right to come into my house
and do as they please when I am not at home. And, I like the
fact that in paying a mortgage, my money doesn't just
"disappear."

Angry cat Jack Cat health & behaviour 24 December 4th 03 10:26 PM
I am so angry (vent) MaryL Cat health & behaviour 76 November 2nd 03 06:08 PM