My cat uses a litter box too often

Old January 2nd 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dom

Default My cat uses a litter box too often

I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. Is there something wrong, and
if so, can I do something about it? Maybe a different food? This cat
is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
vet for medication.

Dom
Old January 2nd 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Dom" wrote in message
I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. Is there something wrong, and
if so, can I do something about it? Maybe a different food? This cat
is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
vet for medication.

Dom

What is your vet saying sounds like a new vet is needed if they can't find a
problem

Old January 2nd 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Dom" wrote in message
I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. Is there something wrong, and
if so, can I do something about it? Maybe a different food? This cat
is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
vet for medication.

Dom

What is your vet saying sounds like a new vet is needed if they can't find
a problem

Dom does not want to take his/her cat to the vet, as he/she feels he/she is
"off to the vet with every little problem."

The first thing that comes to my mind is diabetes. The second is, don't ****
around with elimination changes if you want to keep your cat alive.

Old January 2nd 09, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

On Jan 2, 2:53*pm, Dom wrote:
I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. *Is there something wrong, and
if so, can I do something about it? *Maybe a different food? *This cat
is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
vet for medication.

Dom

If this is a new development, you cat probably is blocked or at least
has a urinary tract infection. If it is a new problem, the cat can
die if you don't get it to the vet immediately.
Old January 3rd 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Dom exclaimed (1/2/2009 4:53 PM):
I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. Is there something wrong, and
if so, can I do something about it? Maybe a different food? This cat
is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
vet for medication.

Dom

Probably a UTI. Needs a vet, urgently. If the cat is a he and he
blocks, he can die. With a female, they rarely block completely, but
the condition can be very painful.

Please bring the cat to the vet ASAP. This won't clear up without a
vet's help.

jmc
Old January 3rd 09, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dom

On Jan 2, 11:00*pm, Sharon wrote:
In article eb50ee51-a3cc-43ba-b937-
, says...

I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. *Is there something wrong, and
if so, can I do something about it? *Maybe a different food? *This cat
is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
vet for medication.

Dom

Sounds like a blockage in the cat's plumbing.

Is the cat's abdomen kind of hard or tight, right about where the
urinary bladder is? *If so then that might be what it is.

Just guessing though. *It could be other things (diabetes, kidney
problems, etc). *But what you described sounds a lot like what happens
when a human has a kidney stone or enlarged prostate or something
blocking up the ol' pee tubes.

Thanks to everyone. My cat was at the vet just a few weeks ago for
his annual check-up and shots. Is UTI not something checked out at
that time? I'm going to call the vet on Monday, first thing, btw.

Dom
Old January 3rd 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

On Jan 3, 11:31*am, Dom wrote:
On Jan 2, 11:00*pm, Sharon wrote:

[...]

A UTI can come on at any time in a cat or human or whatever. If your
cat is trying to pee every 5 minutes and little or nothing is coming
out, he won't be alive by Monday. And, no, a UTI is not something
checked for in a routine exam other than when the vet palpates the cat
and would notice the bladder being hard or full or something. But a
blockage can occur at any moment!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 4th 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

If this is a male cat it probably will be dead by Monday. This is not
something to wait on the cat needs seen by a vet ASAP.

Celeste

--
Save 25% or more on your eBay® auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip

Old January 4th 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Dom exclaimed (1/3/2009 1:31 PM):
On Jan 2, 11:00 pm, Sharon wrote:
[...]

No, not unless you had mentioned your cat was having problems. And UTI
issues, cystitis, can come on any time - she may have been quite OK at
the vet visit.

If this is a urinary problem, she is sick, and in pain. Delaying until
Monday is something you should not do. You should have taken her to the
vet yesterday, or today.

My cat has had these kind of attacks, exactly what you are seeing. She
had cystitis, she was very distressed, and in pain. I, of course, took
her to the vet immediately, and she was fine in a short length of time
(antibiotic shot and a painkiller, I think).

She had a couple more attacks before I was able to make the right
management changes to keep her healthy. It has been years now since
she's blocked.

Please, take your kitty to a vet tomorrow, if she's still doing this.

jmc

is litter levelled in litter-robot? [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 0 May 25th 07 10:14 PM
Litter ?? Shirley2307 Cat anecdotes 18 July 20th 06 05:38 AM
looking for a new litter Elizabeth Blake Cat health & behaviour 50 July 15th 03 07:10 AM