What's wrong with my cat - PLEASE HELP

Old March 3rd 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
YvonneD

Default What's wrong with my cat - PLEASE HELP

I have a 10 year old male. Three days ago he vomited. He had eaten
about 3 hours earlier but what he threw up was food. I give him dry
food, but it had been digested so there were no pieces. He does
occasionally throw up right after eating, but then it still looks like
dry food.

After he threw up he seemed to feel sick. About 5 hours later he
threw up again. Same thing - food. After that he felt great. He was
starving, playful, normal. I fed him. He was fine all night and the
next morning. He finished his breakfast and was fine. Later that day
he threw up again. Afterwards he looked awful. The next morning he
was hungry so I gave him a little canned food with chicken broth. He
ate it but still looked awful.

I took him to the vet. No fever and no tenderness. They looked under
his tongue to see if he may have swallowed a string. They did lots of
blood tests and urine analysis. Everything looked fine. He didn't
throw up that day but still looked bad. Yesterday I took him back for
x-rays. The results were "inconclusive". They said he had gas in his
abdomen and something in his small intestines. They couldn't tell if
it was fecal matter or a blockage. He hadn't had a bm in a few days.
They told me if it continued today to come for a follow-up x-ray.

He ate last night (canned food with chicken broth) and seemed to feel
very comfortable but tired. He pooped during the night and this
morning he was in my face for breakfast. Today he continues to eat
and then looks uncomfortable. He does some lip licking, almost like
he's sick to his stomach. He hasn't thrown up in two days. The only
thing the vet is having me do is to give him Pepcid 2.5mg twice a day.

What could be wrong with him? He does everything normal like eat,
poop, groom, pee, but he just mopes around and clearly does not feel
well.

I feel so helpless. If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
$500 and they still don't have a clue. I don't know what else they
can do.
Old March 3rd 10, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:26:21 -0800 (PST), YvonneD
wrote:

I feel so helpless. If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
$500 and they still don't have a clue. I don't know what else they
can do.

See if you can get him to eat plain yogurt (small tub greek/european
full fat best). If he will it should (in my experience) clear any
blockage quickly.
Petzl
--
"Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right
Old March 4th 10, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
YvonneD

wrote:
I feel so helpless. *If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
$500 and they still don't have a clue. *I don't know what else they
can do.

See if you can get him to eat plain yogurt (small tub greek/european
full fat best). If he will it should (in my experience) clear any
blockage quickly.
Petzl
--
"Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right

If he had a blockage he wouldn't be pooping, right?
Old March 4th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

wrote:
I feel so helpless. If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
$500 and they still don't have a clue. I don't know what else they
can do.

See if you can get him to eat plain yogurt (small tub greek/european
full fat best). If he will it should (in my experience) clear any
blockage quickly.
Petzl
--
"Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right

If he had a blockage he wouldn't be pooping, right?

could be a partial blockage the yogurt helps promote proper digestion

Old March 4th 10, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

wrote:
I feel so helpless. *If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
$500 and they still don't have a clue. *I don't know what else they
can do.

See if you can get him to eat plain yogurt (small tub greek/european
full fat best). If he will it should (in my experience) clear any
blockage quickly.
Petzl

If he had a blockage he wouldn't be pooping, right?

"They said he had gas in his abdomen and something in his small intestines"

The key is the (acidophilus) digestive Flora, yogurt contains should
get things moving hopefully. Occasional treat like this is good for
your cat (once a month to much is not good for their teeth)
Petzl
--
"Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right
Old March 3rd 10, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"YvonneD" wrote in message
[...]

Have you changed food brands before this happened

Old March 3rd 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

"YvonneD" wrote in message
[...]

also don't be afraid to get a second opinion you have the blood work you
can go into another vet for the cost of a office visit. Would not hurt at
all to have an outsider look

Old March 4th 10, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
YvonneD

On Mar 3, 6:53*pm, "Matthew" wrote:
"YvonneD" wrote in message

[...]

I always feed him dry Science Diet Light. Only changed to the canned
food since he got sick. I figured the watered down soft food would be
easier to digest. I know he'd eat his regular food if I gave it to
him. I'm just afraid to try since he hasn't thrown up for a while and
don't want to change what seems to be working right now.
Old March 4th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"YvonneD" wrote in message
On Mar 3, 6:53 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
"YvonneD" wrote in message

[...]

I was asking due to I have a fur ball that has a intolerance to certain
filler products in some brands. Just trying to eliminate problems

Old March 4th 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_2_]

"YvonneD" wrote in message

I always feed him dry Science Diet Light. Only changed to the canned
food since he got sick. I figured the watered down soft food would be
easier to digest. I know he'd eat his regular food if I gave it to
him. I'm just afraid to try since he hasn't thrown up for a while and
don't want to change what seems to be working right now.

Stick with the canned. It's much better for cats anyway. Science diet
contains grains which are not good for cats.

Feline nutrition information: http://www.catinfo.org/
History of dry food (a must-read article):