Correct water temperature?

Old February 3rd 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Correct water temperature?

Hi there,

What is the correct water temperature for a cat? I've tried looking
for this info for some time now, but have not come up with anything. I
know dogs actually prefer water that is not too cold. Is this the same
for cats?

The reason I ask is because for a few months now I have been giving my
kitty refrigerated Brita water. I want to give him the same clean
water I drink, especially now that my area has started adding flouride
to the water (which I heard is bad for animals). Lately, he has been
meowing and staring me down in the morning after I give him his food
and fresh water. I was wondering if he didn't like how cold his water
was.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--
~m.

Old February 3rd 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Room temperature should be fine?

I have a Cockatoo (I know, slightly different), who refuses to drink
anything except hot(ish) water, or tea from a cup.

Gary.

ups.com...

Old February 3rd 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Meranda Anne wrote:
Hi there,

What is the correct water temperature for a cat? I've tried looking
for this info for some time now, but have not come up with anything. I
know dogs actually prefer water that is not too cold. Is this the same
for cats?

The reason I ask is because for a few months now I have been giving my
kitty refrigerated Brita water. I want to give him the same clean
water I drink, especially now that my area has started adding flouride
to the water (which I heard is bad for animals). Lately, he has been
meowing and staring me down in the morning after I give him his food
and fresh water. I was wondering if he didn't like how cold his water
was.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In my experience, it depends on the cat. I think for most cats, room
temperature water is fine, but one of our cats does prefer cold water.
But if your cat doesn't like his water cold, you could just pour it
from the Brita and let it sit awhile so he's still getting the filtered
water.

However, I think your cat is probably meowing about something
else--maybe he's tired of his food.
-Yngver

Old February 3rd 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

yngver wrote:
Meranda Anne wrote:
[...]

I give him his food first, which he usually eats right away. I then
fill his water. He meows shortly after I set the water down. This is
why I thought it was the water.

I was also going to ask about food, too. In the past I fed him
plain-jane Cat Chow (yeah I know, horrible stuff). He seemed to get
sick of it and was not eating it, often leaving large portions
untouched. He really likes seafood. So I started feeding him Meow Mix
Seafood Medley (just as horrible?). He eventually got used to it and
would gobble it down. He does not act the way he did as with the Cat
Chow, he usually eats every bit of it.

I would really like to give him more expensive, nutritional food -- but
my thought is that I cannot afford it. Around $12 a bag for the
_good_ stuff as opposed to $4 for Meow Mix. I have heard that the
more expensive stuff _is_ more filling so you actually might end up
spending the same amount money. Is this true? Any recommendations for
an affordable, yet better nutrition-wise food that is available (or is
that an oxymoron?)?

Thanks again!!

o!
--
~m.

Old February 3rd 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Meranda Anne" wrote in message
oups.com...

yngver wrote:
Meranda Anne wrote:
[...]

Yes, it is true - and you'll also have less to clean out of the litter box
(and less smelly) since they metabolize the "good stuff" better.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 4th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Meranda Anne" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,

What is the correct water temperature for a cat? I've tried looking
for this info for some time now, but have not come up with anything. I
know dogs actually prefer water that is not too cold. Is this the same
for cats?

The reason I ask is because for a few months now I have been giving my
kitty refrigerated Brita water. I want to give him the same clean
water I drink, especially now that my area has started adding flouride
to the water (which I heard is bad for animals). Lately, he has been
meowing and staring me down in the morning after I give him his food
and fresh water. I was wondering if he didn't like how cold his water
was.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

When it comes to water and my cat, she's happy with room temperature water
from the tap.

A friend of mine uses Brita water for her cats and the container is kept on
a kitchen counter at room temperature. They also like water at room
temperature.

Old February 7th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Meranda Anne wrote:

Hi there,

What is the correct water temperature for a cat? I've tried looking
for this info for some time now, but have not come up with anything.
I know dogs actually prefer water that is not too cold. Is this the
same for cats?

The reason I ask is because for a few months now I have been giving my
kitty refrigerated Brita water. I want to give him the same clean
water I drink, especially now that my area has started adding flouride
to the water (which I heard is bad for animals). Lately, he has been
meowing and staring me down in the morning after I give him his food
and fresh water. I was wondering if he didn't like how cold his water
was.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--
~m.

Cat are as finky as we are. Sometimes they like a change - try him on
diet coke. I bet you wouldn't like chicken every day for 5 months. When
I cook I cook an extra 5oz the meat for him, and a bit of gravy when i
have gravy.

Also when he doesn't like something I start not to like it as well. At
present he doesn't like the gravey which you just add hot water, and I
tend to agree - to much salt.

My be his taste in food is better than mine. They did have Blackbird
back in the olden days - I wonder what it tastes like.

--
zaax
They kill Dolphins in Key West

[REPOST] Defeated Yowie Cat anecdotes 11 September 8th 05 11:27 PM
Encouraging to drink water? Newbie Cat health & behaviour 19 July 26th 05 08:31 PM
Dry Food Good For Teeth and Gum Health? biggerbadderbarry Cat health & behaviour 87 July 24th 05 02:44 PM
Smelly cat water! Beverly & Vicki via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 8 May 31st 05 03:14 AM
Water question TJ and The Dust Cat anecdotes 10 February 18th 04 05:51 AM