Cat hair

Old April 11th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

Default Cat hair

I've been brushing everyone to cut down on shedding and hairballs. Abelard
has the shortest short hair of any cat I've ever known, and Billy has the
longest long hair. The tool that works on Billy has absolutely no effect on
Abelard, and vice versa.

In order of hair length, from longest to shortest:

Billy
Beatrice
Lily
Baby Eyes
Tommy
Eli
Abelard

There's always a lot more fur in the brush than I expect to see out of
Tommy, and far less from Baby Eyes. Abelard's is so short and thin that he
hardly sheds and only gets a few hairballs a year.

Old April 11th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 02:53:10 -0500, Pat wrote:

There's always a lot more fur in the brush than I expect to see out of
Tommy, and far less from Baby Eyes. Abelard's is so short and thin that he
hardly sheds and only gets a few hairballs a year.

Harri is our shedding "mystery cat". She has short hair, and brushing her
produces almost no loose fur. However, let her ride in the car with you,
and within 5 minutes you're peering through an orange haze of floating
fur. Harri-fur starts collecting in your nostrils and coating your lips
and tongue. Every semi-horizontal surface in the car or truck wears a
coating of pretty orange fuzz. The first time Harri climbs onto your chest
for a snuggle, your clothes will appear to be orange.

But when you brush her again, you won't get any orange kitty fur in the
brush.

I swear, she has developed the ability to eject fur at will.

Dan
Old April 11th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 02:53:10 -0500, Pat wrote:

There's always a lot more fur in the brush than I expect to see out of
Tommy, and far less from Baby Eyes. Abelard's is so short and thin that he
hardly sheds and only gets a few hairballs a year.

Harri is our shedding "mystery cat". She has short hair, and brushing her
produces almost no loose fur. However, let her ride in the car with you,
and within 5 minutes you're peering through an orange haze of floating
fur. Harri-fur starts collecting in your nostrils and coating your lips
and tongue. Every semi-horizontal surface in the car or truck wears a
coating of pretty orange fuzz.

Hadn't you noticed, cats seem to shed automatically when
they're under stress?
Old April 11th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Hadn't you noticed, cats seem to shed automatically when
they're under stress?

The funny thing is that Harri does it even when she's not under stress.
She could be curled up in my arms, sound asleep, and as totally relaxed as
is felinely possible, and still be emitting clouds of fur.
Old April 11th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

On Apr 11, 8:17 am, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
Hadn't you noticed, cats seem to shed automatically when
they're under stress?

The funny thing is that Harri does it even when she's not under stress.
She could be curled up in my arms, sound asleep, and as totally relaxed as
is felinely possible, and still be emitting clouds of fur.

POWER SHEDDING!!!!! =o)

That's the only logical explanation. Although yes, I've noticed cats
do shed when they're feeling anxious. At the vet, my girls always
loose a couple million hairs each.

Melissa

Old April 11th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

Harri is our shedding "mystery cat". She has short hair, and brushing her
produces almost no loose fur. However, let her ride in the car with you,
and within 5 minutes you're peering through an orange haze of floating
fur. Harri-fur starts collecting in your nostrils and coating your lips
and tongue. Every semi-horizontal surface in the car or truck wears a
coating of pretty orange fuzz. The first time Harri climbs onto your chest
for a snuggle, your clothes will appear to be orange.

But when you brush her again, you won't get any orange kitty fur in the
brush.

I swear, she has developed the ability to eject fur at will.

LOL! Caliban is exactly the same. I've tried brushing him but nothing
ever comes out. Then he curls up in my arms and suddenly I have my eyes
and nose full of hairs. Luckily I'm not allergic, but they do tickle
nonetheless.

Pics at http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/frankiennikki/
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/
http://community.webshots.com/user/frankiennikki
Old April 11th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message
news
[...]

That's very interesting. Whippets shed hardly at all except if they are in
the car for a long time for example going to a show. Then there is a snow
of hair and dandruff - which they didn't have before - it's apparently
caused by stress so say experts, I read about it somewhere, not on the net,
in a UK weekly dog newspaper. There are two. Our Dogs and Dog World.
These are mainly for breeders/exhibitors but there is a lot to learn for
anyone who has dogs there. I've never looked to see if they are on the net.

Tweed

Old April 11th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

[...]

Our old Siamese Sam did eject fur at will, or at least under stress. He
never shed around the house but could darn near fill the car on a drive to
the vet.

Jo

Old April 12th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The Sentimental Numerologist

On Apr 11, 8:17 am, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
Hadn't you noticed, cats seem to shed automatically when
they're under stress?

The funny thing is that Harri does it even when she's not under stress.
She could be curled up in my arms, sound asleep, and as totally relaxed as
is felinely possible, and still be emitting clouds of fur.

That's true. Same thing here with my Martin and Dulcimer. I wipe the
floor regularly and I swear I can form another cat with their
accumulated fur.

===
The Sentimental Numerologist
http://martindulcimer.blogspot.com/
Life: From the Point of View of Two Himalayan Cats

Old April 12th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
Harri is our shedding "mystery cat". She has short hair, and brushing her
produces almost no loose fur. However, let her ride in the car with you,
and within 5 minutes you're peering through an orange haze of floating
fur. Harri-fur starts collecting in your nostrils and coating your lips
and tongue. Every semi-horizontal surface in the car or truck wears a
coating of pretty orange fuzz. The first time Harri climbs onto your chest
for a snuggle, your clothes will appear to be orange.

But isn't that inconvenient for a road cat?