UPDATE: Unexplained weight loss in 8.5 yr old male cat

Old October 27th 03, 05:50 PM
Lynn

Default UPDATE: Unexplained weight loss in 8.5 yr old male cat

I took my cat for an ultrasound this morning and unfortunately, it
didn't come back with good results that I was SO optimistically
looking forward to receiving. Apparently, he has lumps and/or masses
spreading throughout his abdomen. On the mezzentary (sp?)? The doctor
said he either has FIP (feline infectious peritonitis) (sp?) or
carcinoma - tosis? She has been really bothered by his weight loss and
is now seeing why. He really had a GREAT weekend - eating great and
doesn't look sick at all. UGH!!!! She would like to either try and get
some abdominal fluid to look at the cells or do exploratory surgery. I
guess that's the only way to get a specific and more accurate
diagnosis. Any insight on this new development? I feel SO badly for
the little guy and I feel like I'm in denial...he seems fine. *sigh*
Old October 27th 03, 06:19 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
I took my cat for an ultrasound this morning and unfortunately, it
didn't come back with good results that I was SO optimistically
looking forward to receiving. Apparently, he has lumps and/or masses
spreading throughout his abdomen. On the mezzentary (sp?)? The doctor
said he either has FIP (feline infectious peritonitis) (sp?) or
carcinoma - tosis? She has been really bothered by his weight loss and
is now seeing why. He really had a GREAT weekend - eating great and
doesn't look sick at all. UGH!!!! She would like to either try and get
some abdominal fluid to look at the cells or do exploratory surgery. I
guess that's the only way to get a specific and more accurate
diagnosis. Any insight on this new development? I feel SO badly for
the little guy and I feel like I'm in denial...he seems fine. *sigh*

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty.

My two cents...
FIP is a horrible, progressive illness with no cure. Cancer can
sometimes be treated, but the treatment can be worse than the illness.
Get what tests you need to be *sure*. If it IS FIP for certain (only a
biopsy can tell for sure, don't let the vet guess, as they can guess
wrong like mine did), the cat should be put to sleep, as it's all down
hill from here and a very nasty way to die (systemic organ failure,
fluid retention in the abdomen...). If it is cancer, the vet may be able
to treat it or even get rid of it, depending on if the cancer has spread
to the lymph nodes.
If the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes, I would not put my cat
through treatment, but let him live in peace until his quality of life
no longer justifies his suffering, then let him go in peace. If the
cancer has not spread, I would get whatever treatment the vet suggests,
including surgery and chemo.

I would also get a second, and possibly third, opinion before deciding
on euthanasia. It saved my cat's life - it might save yours'.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

Best of luck and purrs to you and yours from me and mine...

~kaeli~
Jesus saves, Allah protects, and Cthulhu
thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
Old October 27th 03, 06:19 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old October 27th 03, 10:54 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:19:27 -0600, kaeli
wrote:

In article ,
enlightened us with...
[...]

This is best possible advice. Best of luck! MLB

Old October 27th 03, 10:54 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:19:27 -0600, kaeli
wrote:

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old October 27th 03, 11:03 PM
Liz

I´m so sorry for you and your kitty. I hope for the best.